Have I (& we) overrated our football talent?

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
This is not a knock on our current players...I am proud to have all of them suit up....and I also think we all know team chemistry can make up for lack of individual talent.

The reason I say this as there are many players, whom will remain nameless, that we (Tech fans) consider our superstars. However, we have gone dry in the NFL draft recently...and the pre-season mags are ignoring all of our guys with exception of Nat Dorsey.

For example, I think a lot of Lindy's pre-season mag's. However, none of our position grouping made their top 10...and none of our players made their Top 20 by position except for Dorsey. I could not believe none of our LB's made their Top 40 list! Additionally, these rankings came out before the academic casualties.

Do not get me wrong...I like our guys and think that almost any team can come together and play good football. I just wonder if we have done a bad job of managing our own expectations?

I would like to see some honest opinions of others (please do not name players by name).

We have a lot of good college football players. We don't have many REALLY good players. We can be successful given the talent we have if we get very good QB play. That's the way it's always been for Tech.

BTW, forget about AA lists and tops in the country. Wait until the preseason all conference lists come out. The writers and teams that see us play first hand don't think that highly of our kids. Maybe we can use that for motivation.

The players will perform just as great or poorly as their self motivation and coaching will allow them to perform. As long as they get good strength training, a good endurance program, and good fundamentals of football coaching, they can be as good or better than any program in the nation. Most players, even blue chippers, come into college ball woefully undercoached and undersized. They just have a greater potential in the eyes of scouts. If you ever got to see Ted Roof (black watch anyone?) play in person, and I hope if you are a Tech fan you did, you got to see an incredible LB with a great work effort. Players like him, that were not exactly the blue chippers coming out of high school, but have an instilled work ethic, is what our program is about. If the coaches are doing their jobs, we'll be fine.

Give 'em hell Tech!

Just like I said last year, I believe this team has the talent and potential to win. We had so many injuries, so many bad breaks we still had a fair season until late November.

Regardless of what others think, I think we can win this year. Even with our increased tough schedule, we can win.

Maybe I am looking through rose colored glasses, but until we fall flat on our face at 4-8, I will believe that these guys can go bowling.

I just know that when we go head to head by individual we have some tough match-ups...mainly in the trenches.

It was only a couple of years ago that we had players scattered all over Lindy's rankings.

Lets hope they are wrong.

btw...Lindy's put NCState, FSU, Virginia, and Maryland all in the top 25.

At least in terms of whose left now, I'd say Robinson, Reilly, Smith, and Smith, were inappropriately snubbed by Lindy's. These guys play for most anybody. THWG

Reminds me of a time over in Ala. that they were the Bear Bryant terror of the world and I was surprised to see that the NFL was not eating them up. They just played well as a team with humongous depth.
Basically it will always be a challenge for GT to have the highest talent SA's in the nation with the standards that we have. I'm just glad to see the job GT does with the men that can come to GT.

Back