He is in until 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
If you say you're not really in that deep than you know better than I. You're a GT man and I just a lowly GSU sunbelt guy.

Are you saying that PJs offensive system is sound & you need a QB to run it or do you want to give up on it?

As far as you "D' goes, do you think you lost many games based on the "O" or does the "O" carry all the weight?
I look at football perhaps a little differently than this. There are two paths to the top. You can increase your investment in the portions of your game plan and program that statistically result in expected wins, things like recruiting and building depth and balanced play calling and versatile defense, then you can grind our your 9-11 expected wins per year once you're in the top flight of teams and wait for the magic to happen. Alternatively, you can win any individual game, even in the face of unreasonable disparity, by leveraging risky play and lining that up with good team chemistry. Teams almost universally punch above their weight with the second path, and move up in punching weight with the first.

I'm a fan of the option because it is on the second path. I don't want to wait decades to watch my team punch out the top of the bracket with recruiting and building the machine, because we might not ever be able to build it fast enough here to get there before the other guys build a bigger better machine. I do want to build it, and I'm ecstatic that we are doing that, but while we wait for the results, I want to go into every game knowing that there's a chance we will make huge plays and take down anyone. We've seen some top 5 and top 10 kills under CPJ that demonstrate it beautifully.

I was a fan of Roof's 2014 defense for the same reason. Towards the end of the season, it was opportunistic as hell. "The pick" is exactly the kind of play that negates the statistical advantage of the machine. "Cole Stoudt" is exactly the kind of thing a fan will be cheering every time his undermanned team is clowning a powerhouse. Unfortunately Roof lost the magic. Hopefully CNW can bring it back.

I think the bad seasons are not really indicative of a problem of the same nature as everyone likes to diagnose. Most of the time it's not "the O sucks" or "the D sucks" or even "we suck" as much as it is we took some risky shots and they didn't work out. Even last season we had wide open receivers ready for TDs and just couldn't connect to them. Even in our 3-9 season we beat undefeated contender FSU, the last hope of the ACC. And when we did it, it was 100% with havoc.

I think CPJ's system is very sound outside the havoc it creates, but it generates four or five risky plays per game that could each result in points, everything else notwithstanding. If we hit on them and play an otherwise decent game, it doesn't really matter who is lined up across from us, they are going to struggle. A defense that could match that could actually propel us to a championship if the ball bounced right. There are a lot of programs currently in our recruiting and budget caste of CFB that don't have a snowballs chance in hell of that, and we do.

When CPJ eventually retires and when someday tech abandons the option, this era will be looked back on in puzzlement. It'll be called zany and inconsistent and fluky, but really it's all a function of this. We really are taking shots at championships, and serious ones. You've just got to do it this way when you're where we are.

A better QB would be better, a better defense would be better, a better kicker would allow me to sleep at night. And CPJ isn't the only coach who can take risks and make things happen. Brohm out at Purdue is a good example of a guy doing the same thing a different way. You're going to see them look a lot like we have, record and surprise wise, if they can keep him that long. Mike Leach, too.

So I don't really care too much what the system is, as long as it's like that, and those three guys aren't the only ones doing this. It's just gotta roll the dice with a lot on the table to win it all, because the house belongs to someone else right now. I don't particularly care who the man at the helm is, as long as he's willing to double down and go for glory. I'm interested in watching exciting football and dreaming big, and not just about the distant future.

It is what it is.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
Oh no. An idiot from a cow college thinks I’m an idiot. He scored 120 on a color by numbers IQ test so he must know his stuff.

You're one of the 10%. If you're a grad of GT you also have a high IQ. I feel bad that you don't use it!

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
You're right, a loss is a loss, but you have nothing to be proud of.

I want GT to win as many as they can. You on the other hand give no credit to a team that moved from 1aa to fbs & in its first year played GT & NC STATE
to the wire.

Carry on - PLEASE DO!
GSU sucks. I don't give credit to a ööööty team that plays for a school full of illiterate potheads in the middle of bumöööö nowhere.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Come on you Spread Option haters, tell me why.
we don't throw it nearly enough to be called Spread Option. We're the Taquon QB Keeper offense right now and it won a whopping 5 games last year. Real Spread Option offenses don't complete 42 passes in an entire year of football.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
I look at football perhaps a little differently than this. There are two paths to the top. You can increase your investment in the portions of your game plan and program that statistically result in expected wins, things like recruiting and building depth and balanced play calling and versatile defense, then you can grind our your 9-11 expected wins per year once you're in the top flight of teams and wait for the magic to happen. Alternatively, you can win any individual game, even in the face of unreasonable disparity, by leveraging risky play and lining that up with good team chemistry. Teams almost universally punch above their weight with the second path, and move up in punching weight with the first.

I'm a fan of the option because it is on the second path. I don't want to wait decades to watch my team punch out the top of the bracket with recruiting and building the machine, because we might not ever be able to build it fast enough here to get there before the other guys build a bigger better machine. I do want to build it, and I'm ecstatic that we are doing that, but while we wait for the results, I want to go into every game knowing that there's a chance we will make huge plays and take down anyone. We've seen some top 5 and top 10 kills under CPJ that demonstrate it beautifully.

I was a fan of Roof's 2014 defense for the same reason. Towards the end of the season, it was opportunistic as hell. "The pick" is exactly the kind of play that negates the statistical advantage of the machine. "Cole Stoudt" is exactly the kind of thing a fan will be cheering every time his undermanned team is clowning a powerhouse. Unfortunately Roof lost the magic. Hopefully CNW can bring it back.

I think the bad seasons are not really indicative of a problem of the same nature as everyone likes to diagnose. Most of the time it's not "the O sucks" or "the D sucks" or even "we suck" as much as it is we took some risky shots and they didn't work out. Even last season we had wide open receivers ready for TDs and just couldn't connect to them. Even in our 3-9 season we beat undefeated contender FSU, the last hope of the ACC. And when we did it, it was 100% with havoc.

I think CPJ's system is very sound outside the havoc it creates, but it generates four or five risky plays per game that could each result in points, everything else notwithstanding. If we hit on them and play an otherwise decent game, it doesn't really matter who is lined up across from us, they are going to struggle. A defense that could match that could actually propel us to a championship if the ball bounced right. There are a lot of programs currently in our recruiting and budget caste of CFB that don't have a snowballs chance in hell of that, and we do.

When CPJ eventually retires and when someday tech abandons the option, this era will be looked back on in puzzlement. It'll be called zany and inconsistent and fluky, but really it's all a function of this. We really are taking shots at championships, and serious ones. You've just got to do it this way when you're where we are.

A better QB would be better, a better defense would be better, a better kicker would allow me to sleep at night. And CPJ isn't the only coach who can take risks and make things happen. Brohm out at Purdue is a good example of a guy doing the same thing a different way. You're going to see them look a lot like we have, record and surprise wise, if they can keep him that long. Mike Leach, too.

So I don't really care too much what the system is, as long as it's like that, and those three guys aren't the only ones doing this. It's just gotta roll the dice with a lot on the table to win it all, because the house belongs to someone else right now. I don't particularly care who the man at the helm is, as long as he's willing to double down and go for glory. I'm interested in watching exciting football and dreaming big, and not just about the distant future.

It is what it is.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
we don't throw it nearly enough to be called Spread Option. We're the Taquon QB Keeper offense right now and it won a whopping 5 games last year. Real Spread Option offenses don't complete 42 passes in an entire year of football.
I said that in many of my posts. What would you know about REAL SPREAD OPTION TEAMS? - DUH!

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
Oh no. An idiot from a cow college thinks I’m an idiot. He scored 120 on a color by numbers IQ test so he must know his stuff.

A cow collage? My, my, you are very opinionated. I respect those that graduated from GT or any accredited higher education school.
You Sr. are a want to be GT grad.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
To Dis & Rainbow Bright.
Didn't one of you want me to post a your mammy joke?
OK

While at GT your pappy did urine mapf homework and mammy did you anglish papers.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
Why would I want to be a GT grad?

Well that lifts the veil. You're not a GT grad, you don't understand the Spread Option & you're a fool.
Did your mammy give you permission to post on this board?

So you have nothing to say.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
Well that lifts the veil. You're not a GT grad, you don't understand the Spread Option & you're a fool.

Oops, did that shut you up?

Diseqc

Dodd-Like

I never said I wasn't a GT grad, just asked why I should aspire to be one

Status
Not open for further replies.