here is the link of GRAD rates (LINK)

I've never heard an explanation of this that is satisfactory. I read the official GT release and it certainly didn't clear things up for me. My understanding is that the rate being reported is based on the # of football players who started Tech in 1994 and graduated within 6 years -- is that right? Unless I'm missing something, it seems to me that a "one time snapshot" is not the best way to weigh a school's academic performance. What was the grad rate in 91? 92? 93?; to just report the 94 numbers isolated from any context seems to me to be "less than enlightening". "Outliers happen"! I know that there have been times in the past that our rate has been +70% because we received NCAA recognition for it. With all the time, effort, etc. that Tech pours into helping our student athletes and the fact that our avg SAT rate of our entering freshman football classes is usually +950 (which is not great, but certainly not ridiculous), I just find that number (33%) very frustrating!!?? Any thoughts or insights?!

Most of you will not agree with this post but if you take a moment you will realize that there is a lot of truth behind my comments.

GT has a limited number of choices for student athletes to choose from. There is Management and ........ Management. To graduate in Management you have to 2 semesters of Business Calculus. If you do not think we aare at a huge competitive disadvantage then you are living in Fantasyland.

The majority, IMHO 70 to 80%, of five star recruits do not have what it takes to graduate from GT (even in a lowly major like Management, which happened to be mine). We have a choice on which path to take.

Path A: Continue with our current mix of academic choices and relegate ourselves to the fact that the best we can hope to achieve oven the long haul is an average record of 8-3. No National Championships (1990 is not a good example as the college game has changed dramatically since then). No Acc Championships, No National Championships, because at the end of the day we are not Stanford (which has liberal arts majors) or Duke (which has liberal arts majors).

Path B: Expand the academic offerings at our beloved institute. Our history was founded on Technology and that is certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but if we want a program that will exceed in athletics we must expand the offerings.

This is not the 1940's, 1950's, or 1960's. The integration of African American athletes has changed the face of college athletics forever. I am not a racist (I loathe the "N" word) and I have no doubt that there are African American athletes that can handle the role of student at GT and Division I superstar at GT, but the numbers are so few and far between the recruiting disadvantage is too huge.

Through my years at Tech and beyond I have found the Tech population to be two things, pious and stubborn. We can not have it both ways so it is time to decide which we would prefer because I promise you we can not continue with the same academic environment and expect to win ACC and National champoinships at the same time.

God Bless Chan because if he thinks he can do both he is going to need Divine Intervention

Am I the only one willing to give up ACC or national championships so we can keep Tech just the way it is? Yes, it is being stubborn. I don't want a liberal arts school at Tech...there are plenty of other schools in the state of Georgia who can handle this. We won the NC in '90 just the way we are. Sure, we may have to wait 20 or 30 years between championships, but I don't want to be like every other big state school trying to win a NC. I get so annoyed when I think of the SAT scores for our football players.

Yes, Tech has lots of athletic tradition, but we are still an academic institution first. Its hard for students averaging 1300 on the SATs to graduate, why should we be putting so much pressure on athletes who barely get by on the minimum required NCAA scores.

I think we simply have to decide which is more important: keeping Tech a big-time technology school or winning championships. We can't do both. Looking at the final espn/coaches poll, Miami is the only school that is not the main university of their respective states. Academically, Miami has some good programs like their medicine, but no one thinks "Wow, Miami, tough school." Honestly, none of the top 10 schools do that, maybe minus U of Texas.

Back