Here we go again. Conference expansion

micman

Varsity Lurker
How serious was the Big10 about us 8 years ago? If SEC expands, I think our best option then becomes a Big 10 invite. We need something to differentiate us from our rivals who are either having unprecedented success (UGa, Clemson, Bama) or have at least won National Championships this century (FSU, Auburn).

How serious was the Big10 about us 8 years ago? If SEC expands, I think our best option then becomes a Big 10 invite. We need something to differentiate us from our rivals who are either having unprecedented success (UGa, Clemson, Bama) or have at least won National Championships this century (FSU, Auburn).
Just keep in mind that's not a free choice, even if it pays more (and still way less than the SEC+OU+TX).

How excited would you be to look on that football schedule and after the FCS in Week 1 see ..... Indiana. Then Iowa. How about a November road game at Minnesota? At least cannabis is legal in Michigan and Detroit is hub to hub on Delta so you enjoy road trips to the empire of khaki pants and locations denoted for being near cedar trees, even if not for the right reasons. Get ready for the weekend baseball series against Rutgers!

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Just keep in mind that's not a free choice, even if it pays more (and still way less than the SEC+OU+TX).

How excited would you be to look on that football schedule and after the FCS in Week 1 see ..... Indiana. Then Iowa. How about a November road game at Minnesota? At least cannabis is legal in Michigan and Detroit is hub to hub on Delta so you enjoy road trips to the empire of khaki pants and locations denoted for being near cedar trees, even if not for the right reasons. Get ready for the weekend baseball series against Rutgers!
would be hard to get interested in football if we played in the big 10. Season ticket sales would plummet ever harder

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
If this happens (I think doubtful) the Big12 is done. Acc and B1G will be fighting over the remaining top teams from that conference to get to 16. I’d guess we get WV to add more northern suck to the conference, but at least WV parties and has some hot chicks to look at. ND would probably come our way or get isolated. If not ND we should either go for TCU or Baylor.

But the acc will go full retart and probably get Cincinnati and UConn.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
If this happens (I think doubtful) the Big12 is done. Acc and B1G will be fighting over the remaining top teams from that conference to get to 16. I’d guess we get WV to add more northern suck to the conference, but at least WV parties and has some hot chicks to look at. ND would probably come our way or get isolated. If not ND we should either go for TCU or Baylor.

Is UConn even FBS anymore? I thought they dropped back down

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Georgia Tech is not going to the B1G Ten. Ever.

There is a chance that ND might join the ACC but the odds are not all that great. ND views joining the ACC as a sacrifice. They don't look down on the ACC, they just think they can make more money on their own. They won't join until that changes.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Some of y’all are just over the top. The landscape has always been changing and will continue. With the NCAA falling to the wayside the conferences are about to actually do what they should have been doing all this time which is to set their rules and regulations. Why this idea exists that schools and conferences in different parts of the country have to act the same I just don’t understand. If it wasn’t for certain conferences last year we wouldn’t have had a season. Conference expansion is inevitable and will be a good thing. The ACC will be just fine because it’s in a part of the country that still cares about college football.

I don’t know how it shakes out, but am I glad VT and FSU joined the ACC? Yes. Am I glad we partially include Norte Dame? Yes. Will I be glad when we get others like Penn State or Oklahoma State? Yes. Will I be glad if GT gets back in the SEC? Yes.

But most importantly I’m thrilled that the NCAA has become a shell entity. As a kid I bought into the idea of the NCAA as the arbiter of fairness. As I’ve grown older I see it for what it really was - not only a corrupt organization but the worst kind of corruption that fed lies upon lies to the public in an attempt to be seen as honorable. I’d rather deal with the mob who at least is honest in their pursuits. We all know the conferences are corrupt so at least now there is no pretense of fairness. Let every conference do what is in their best interest without a fake facade.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
This Thread went full retard all of a sudden.

If this move happened it will change nothing for anyone outside the Big 12 and SEC.

Nobody wants the remaining Big 12 schools. That's why they're still in the Big 12. The only option for them is to stay in and expand with G5s to maintain their P5 status.

Reactions: odw

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan

If this move happened it will change nothing for anyone outside the Big 12 and SEC.

Nobody wants the remaining Big 12 schools. That's why they're still in the Big 12. The only option for them is to stay in and expand with G5s to maintain their P5 status.
It will make other conferences even less appealing no? I believe it will be bad for college football.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
And I think you guys that want the NCAA to vanish aren't exactly cognizant of what you are hoping for. The NCAA (for all its faults) is an equalizer. Take them away and the imbalances that already exist will magnify - probably exponentially. We are already having enough trouble trying to catch up to the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world. Take the NCAA out of the equation and that gulf gets a lot bigger. So think before you chuck the NCAA out with the bathwater.

Buffalobuzz

Varsity Lurker
My concern, if this actually happens, is that our powerhouse schools start getting itchy about the Money disparities and consider leaving for the money. I understand we are all under a GOR, but it appears The money separation keeps getting larger and it maybe worth the risk to challenge the GOR to leave. I know we have a block of schools that the SEC would love to have as well as a block that the BIG 10 would love as well. I just hope GT is part of the haves going forward and not in the have not bucket.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
There’s a lot of good science in both these comments. I would much prefer an ACC South schedule to our current conference mix. But imagine playing Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, and ugag every year. And maybe Bama. Sure, we’d have to up our game, but that’s the goal, isn’t it?
Is Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, and ugag more challenging than Clemson, Miami, North Carolina and ugag?

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Yea. I really just wish we'd pick up FSU every year. Would make our schedule feel a lot different. Hopefully we get back there eventually; maybe with the 4 pod system for a 16 team league and we are grouped with Clem FSU and Miami in the South.
The problem with that alignment is that all the top teams are in one pod.

And I think you guys that want the NCAA to vanish aren't exactly cognizant of what you are hoping for. The NCAA (for all its faults) is an equalizer. Take them away and the imbalances that already exist will magnify - probably exponentially. We are already having enough trouble trying to catch up to the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world. Take the NCAA out of the equation and that gulf gets a lot bigger. So think before you chuck the NCAA out with the bathwater.
No, the NCAA can die in a fire. Even if this turns out stinky for GT I will relish seeing the NCAA burn to the ground.

This is Tucker

Medical redshirt poster

In addition to the hot chicks, they'll gladly take a dump in your vacated band's section during halftime...

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

I'm not sure about that. Isn't one of the biggest drivers of conference expansion the desire to expand your conference's TV network footprint?

Getting ACC Network fees added to Texas cable packages has to be really alluring to the ACC, just like it was to the SEC when they added A&M.

It's not very alluring to TT right now, but if Texas and Oklahoma leave? Maybe it would be then.