Here we go again. Conference expansion

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I still think the ACC should have picked up UCF few years ago. One problem the ACC has is that it has too many small footprint schools like Wake Forest (5500 undergrads), Duke (6600 undergrads), Miami (11,000 undergrads), and even GT with (15,500 undergrads). GT and Miami can justify themselves by being in large markets; but we need more schools like UCF (61,500 undergrads) that are not only in large markets but have a huge undergraduate base of loyal fans. I know that would put 3 schools in one state; but they are spread out across the state hours from each other; as opposed to now where we have 3 schools that are practically in walking distance of each other sharing the same tv market.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
How many times has tech reached out to join the sec? We could take Clemson with us lol

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
I'm not sure about that. Isn't one of the biggest drivers of conference expansion the desire to expand your conference's TV network footprint?

Getting ACC Network fees added to Texas cable packages has to be really alluring to the ACC, just like it was to the SEC when they added A&M.

It's not very alluring to TT right now, but if Texas and Oklahoma leave? Maybe it would be then.
Any school you take suddenly has its hand in your pot. There is a ton of diminishing returns involved. Texas and Oklahoma were the only Big 12 schools that ever had any value to any other conference. That's exactly why the financial balance was allowed to be so lopsided in the Big 12 with the Longhorn Network, they brought that much more money in than everyone else.

If anyone actually wanted Texas Tech, Kansas, and Iowa State, they would already be gone.

There are no Texases and Oklahomas left.

JC7

Varsity Lurker
This doesn't specifically apply to this thread, but after watching this video, more than ever, I wish Tech had never left the SEC. If you have 41 minutes to spare and have not seen it before, check out this video of Tech's 1952 NC Season. Boy, I miss those old SEC rivalries.

BTW, if anyone knows a better thread to put this link in, please do so.
Thanks for posting. I plan to watch this ASAP.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
sti
Any school you take suddenly has its hand in your pot. There is a ton of diminishing returns involved. Texas and Oklahoma were the only Big 12 schools that ever had any value to any other conference. That's exactly why the financial balance was allowed to be so lopsided in the Big 12 with the Longhorn Network, they brought that much more money in than everyone else.

If anyone actually wanted Texas Tech, Kansas, and Iowa State, they would already be gone.

There are no Texases and Oklahomas left.
Texas A&M had value as well. I would say more than Oklahoma. TAM has a huge following dispite far these success than OU.

The problem with OU is the same as Nebraska. Once they stop winning, they will have a hard time recovering. And if the are mediocre long enough, they are basically Arkansas.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
sti

Texas A&M had value as well. I would say more than Oklahoma. TAM has a huge following dispite far these success than OU.

The problem with OU is the same as Nebraska. Once they stop winning, they will have a hard time recovering. And if the are mediocre long enough, they are basically Arkansas.
Well yeah, that wasn't a hard decision for the SEC. Bringing in A&M was a no-brainer....even if it meant being saddled with Mizzou for the marginal gain of St Louis and KC. Huge lifeline for UM because the Big Ten at the time didn't want them.

The only meat left on the Big 12 carcass is Texas and Oklahoma.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Well yeah, that wasn't a hard decision for the SEC. Bringing in A&M was a no-brainer....even if it meant being saddled with Mizzou for the marginal gain of St Louis and KC. Huge lifeline for UM because the Big Ten at the time didn't want them.

It matters in terms of tv carriage contracts. But otherwise you are correct.

Wreck Em

Dodd-Like
Is there any chance of us rejoining the SEC, or is that even an option?

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I can see a world where the sec loves the idea of playing games in the heart of Atlanta, and given our partnership with the Mercedes Benz stadium really cementing their foothold there. But they don’t really need it.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Probably not. At least not the SEC in its current form. If something happens that completely blows up the current conference structure in favor of more geographic affiliations then I guess we could end up in something that resembles the SEC. But I don’t see that happening.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein

I had read your statement wrong. I thought you were talking about the old Big12.

Mizzou was the big winner in that sweepstakes. They would have been a better fit in the B1g, but landing in the SEC is a pretty nice fallback position.

manjano mdudu

Varsity Lurker
And if all of the action is in a single new powerhouse conference, how would that impact recruiting nationally? It's already pretty concentrated, but it could really pound all of those peering in from the outside. It won't take long to see the results as some top recruits are scheduled to announce in the weeks ahead that are considering schools in different conferences. The potential impact of all this could begin very soon.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Some of y’all are just over the top. The landscape has always been changing and will continue. With the NCAA falling to the wayside the conferences are about to actually do what they should have been doing all this time which is to set their rules and regulations. Why this idea exists that schools and conferences in different parts of the country have to act the same I just don’t understand. If it wasn’t for certain conferences last year we wouldn’t have had a season. Conference expansion is inevitable and will be a good thing. The ACC will be just fine because it’s in a part of the country that still cares about college football.

I don’t know how it shakes out, but am I glad VT and FSU joined the ACC? Yes. Am I glad we partially include Norte Dame? Yes. Will I be glad when we get others like Penn State or Oklahoma State? Yes. Will I be glad if GT gets back in the SEC? Yes.

But most importantly I’m thrilled that the NCAA has become a shell entity. As a kid I bought into the idea of the NCAA as the arbiter of fairness. As I’ve grown older I see it for what it really was - not only a corrupt organization but the worst kind of corruption that fed lies upon lies to the public in an attempt to be seen as honorable. I’d rather deal with the mob who at least is honest in their pursuits. We all know the conferences are corrupt so at least now there is no pretense of fairness. Let every conference do what is in their best interest without a fake facade.
Nothing says Atlantic Coast like Oklahoma State.

We should put in a bid for Hawaii, too.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I still think the ACC should have picked up UCF few years ago. One problem the ACC has is that it has too many small footprint schools like Wake Forest (5500 undergrads), Duke (6600 undergrads), Miami (11,000 undergrads), and even GT with (15,500 undergrads). GT and Miami can justify themselves by being in large markets; but we need more schools like UCF (61,500 undergrads) that are not only in large markets but have a huge undergraduate base of loyal fans. I know that would put 3 schools in one state; but they are spread out across the state hours from each other; as opposed to now where we have 3 schools that are practically in walking distance of each other sharing the same tv market.
Seriously, I advocated for UCF quite a while ago, before GOL went there. I was met with ridicule.

Still would take them.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Seriously, I advocated for UCF quite a while ago, before GOL went there. I was met with ridicule.

Still would take them.
They’ll need to change their name. That they are a directional school is the only reason UCF hasn’t gotten to a major conference. Is there a directional school in any of the power 5?

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
They’ll need to change their name. That they are a directional school is the only reason UCF hasn’t gotten to a major conference. Is there a directional school in any of the power 5?
West Virginia :ugh:

Edit:University of Southern California might be the only one. And they hardly count because they are USC

05GTCorndog

Staff member
They haven't gotten in anywhere because they don't expand the footprint of any conference and thus they don't add revenue to the conference. SEC? Already got Florida. ACC? Already got FSU and Miami. The only 'big' conference that they would help is the Big12 and geographically it would be a worse fit for them than WVU.