Hey Tech Fans.....BRING IT!!!

matt jensen

Varsity Lurker
just kidding, actually I am a cougar fan in Provo..but just wanted to say a quick "welcome to provo!" and I hope the game is as exciting as we are all planning" I've been reading your posts and I must admitt I'm impressed with your comments and respect for the BYU program...we've been waiting for this for a long time....LET THE GAMES BEGIN!! Have a great game guys...and good luck with your season!!

matt

Matt...

Im just curious...I know you guys have beat some pretty good teams up there in that thin Mountain air...Miami comes to mind...can you give me a list of big name teams you guys have beat up there??

To my recollection:

UCLA has never lost to BYU in Provo, nor Notre Dame or Mississippi State. BYU's wins over those teams were ALL on the ROAD. They have of course won games on the road against most of the following but not all:

In Provo, BYU defeated Miami, Syracuse, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Texas, Texas A&M, Arizona, Arizona State, Penn State, Kansas State (although that was at the beginning or the Edwards era before KSU became a power), ToolaMe. This year they play Stanford and Boise State at home also. BSU may not sound very impressive but they beat the snot out of I think Arkansas or someone from the SEC in their bowl game last year and finished 12th nationally I think. Stanford is a difficult style matchup for BYU. That will be an interesting game.

Some of those BYU games were punishing victories against teams that went on to have good years as well. The Texas A&M game comes to mind where we beat them 49 to something and they went onto a fairly impressive 10-2 season (if I am not mistaken). We crushed Texas like 63 to 17. I agree with some of the posts that say if you dont cantain BYU early it will get ugly fast. Last years against Syracuse, Engemman had over 300 yards passing in the first half! All BYU fans know how much he sucked as a QB! I think if GT has a chance at winning it will be to get up early and contain BYU early. Neither one of those is probable in my humble opinion.

Black Watch...

Yes, I'd be glad to!(these are some of the teams we have beat IN Provo...)

89--Oregon
90--Miami
90--Washington State
92--Penn State
94--Notre Dame
96 Texas A&M
98--Arizona State
99--Washington
00--Virginia
02--Syracuse

are a few I can remember...one other stat I don't know if you know or not...in the last 15 games that BYU has played as a "revenge game", in other words where a BCS Conference team has played us and beat us the previous year, BYU is on a 15 games win streak in these revenge games...so it should make for a great contest!

This game concerns me for 2 reasons:
A. We are starting a true Frosh. at QB, NO doubt though he deserves to start AND gives us our best chance at winning..But still, he is 3 months removed from HS..
B. The MOST important concern is our Def.Line..We are just paper thin there due to injuries and the academic fallout...
I believe that although BYU has lived by the airwaves that they will NO DOUBT try and run it on us up the gut...They are going to come right at Wrotto our True Frosh.DT. And Parker who is an undersized Soph. We have only Frosh and Soph. Behind them also...I heard Kim King have the same concern this morning on the radio...

Originally posted by matt jensen:
Black Watch...

Yes, I'd be glad to!(these are some of the teams we have beat IN Provo...)

89--Oregon
90--Miami
90--Washington State
92--Penn State
94--Notre Dame
96 Texas A&M
98--Arizona State
99--Washington
00--Virginia
02--Syracuse

are a few I can remember...one other stat I don't know if you know or not...in the last 15 games that BYU has played as a "revenge game", in other words where a BCS Conference team has played us and beat us the previous year, BYU is on a 15 games win streak in these revenge games...so it should make for a great contest!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Matt--It looks like you have a quality win about every other year. You point out Syracuse for 2002. Looks like you'll have to wait until next year for that "quality" win. LOL.

STING MAN...

Hey, who said GTECH would be a quality win? No, just kidding...a win against you guys would be a great notch in the BYU Belt. Gonna be a great game!

The Virginia game in provo was a loss, but BYU rubber matched a win back east the following year. Of interest, that game followed one weak after BYU dropped the opener at FSU 29-3. BYU's crappy defense held FSU to 29 points, 17 scored in the last 17 minutes of the game. BYU also held them to 302 Yards, over a 100 yards less than any other opponent FSU faced that year. That year BYU returned only 4 starters on offense and 5 on defense. If I remember correctly, Tech almost defeated FSU in Tallahassee as well but dropped the game late in the fourth quarter. Boy I was bummed when they lost that close game.

Back