High School Offense

GTMensLax&SoccerD1Soon!

Jolly Good Fellow
There have been an inordinate amount high school games on TV this fall and let me tell you that I have yet to see a high school team running the triple option. It appears to all be Oregon-Style spreads. That said, Auburn, Ohio State, Houston, Clemson, and UNC are among the many that run "high school offenses". There is little evidence that I see suggesting that many high schools are still running the TO based spread.

Should we be concerned or appreciative of the fact?

Hmm. Concerned.

No. Appreciative.

Yep. Appreciative.

Nope. Concerned.

Morans.

OK, you convinced me. Appreciative.

You are all wrong. Thankful is the answer.

/Thread

Just thought was funny. 10 years ago everyone ran the TO. Now it seems like very few run it. I personally like it the TO. This sport is all about fads.

What's a moran?

I haven't seen a lot of HS teams running the 3O over the last 20 years. The wing T was the fad 15 years ago. The formation is the same but there is very little option ran out of it in HS.

The one back shotgun/spread option has definitely been the gainer over the past 10 years.

Has anyone seen the Skeegun? It is the 3O out of the pistol. I'm surprised more teams don't run it. I like it because the mesh point with the b-back is not so close to the line and the passing game looks more fluid.

If it has 3 backs in the backfield regardless of formation its 30 personnel. Its not 3 and the letter O. Its the number 30 as in 30 personnel.....when we slide an AB to the slot we are in 20 personnel

There have been an inordinate amount high school games on TV this fall and let me tell you that I have yet to see a high school team running the triple option. It appears to all be Oregon-Style spreads. That said, Auburn, Ohio State, Houston, Clemson, and UNC are among the many that run "high school offenses". There is little evidence that I see suggesting that many high schools are still running the TO based spread.

:scared:

Has anyone seen the Skeegun? It is the 3O out of the pistol. I'm surprised more teams don't run it. I like it because the mesh point with the b-back is not so close to the line and the passing game looks more fluid.

PJ has talked about this before. It is better for passing, but it changes the timing and location of the mesh and is not as effective at limiting negative plays. Our experimentation with pistol was a massive failure a few years ago, so I'm not anxious to make any more wholesale changes when we're only a year removed from the #1 offense in the country.

To the ones that played football, and to anyone that follows their local high schools: what offense did your team or your local schools run?

We ran the Wing-T my first two years and then the Power-I the past two. The blocking style and technique in our Power-I was relatively close to how Tech currently attacks their set, with the cuts and chip blocks and focusing on the second and third level of defense with the line after taking care of the first level of defense (mainly because we were generally undersized).

We should ...when we talk about the option we talk about reading keys and after talking to a gt qb of years back who ran the option ,two things come out.First we cant seem to find folks who run this offense in HS plain and simple.We get guys and hope we can make them option qbs.seoncd and most important we dont seem to be able to read the keys the defense gives us and third it looks like we are pre determining the calls In other words we run the dive and that is all we do etc.We decide we are going to pitch and we pitch etc.......not knocking the guys but it is tough to run a new offense with college defenders .Yeah everybody is going to the spread and if yu are a running qb and can throw its a good thing....if you like torun wide and have speed you like the spread and if you can throw and like it ..you run the spread...I have said this before its hard to run this offene with guys who have not run it in HS plain and simple.Just my take on it....when I was coaching hated to defend the spread but not so terrified of the option since yu take awys the dive you are in good shape

We should ...when we talk about the option we talk about reading keys and after talking to a gt qb of years back who ran the option ,two things come out.First we cant seem to find folks who run this offense in HS plain and simple.We get guys and hope we can make them option qbs.seoncd and most important we dont seem to be able to read the keys the defense gives us and third it looks like we are pre determining the calls In other words we run the dive and that is all we do etc.We decide we are going to pitch and we pitch etc.......not knocking the guys but it is tough to run a new offense with college defenders .Yeah everybody is going to the spread and if yu are a running qb and can throw its a good thing....if you like torun wide and have speed you like the spread and if you can throw and like it ..you run the spread...I have said this before its hard to run this offense with guys who have not run it in HS plain and simple.Just my take on it....when I was coaching hated to defend the spread but not so terrified of the option since yu take awys the dive you are in good shape

I'd like to think that our players are plenty smart enough to be taught the option offense just as well as another player can be taught another offense.

It isn't exactly rocket science they are learning here.

The thing with the 3O is if someone blows their assignment by diving at ankles or some other ridiculous attempt at blocking, it is easy to blow up our plays. (Hell, any offense is easy to stop when that happens. ).

But in your example, if you put so much emphasis on taking away the dive, what are you going to do with the other two options? What about just a two step drop and a simple dump pass over your backs that are focusing on the dive? We used to rack up hundreds of yards rushing on teams who had that very same thought as you.

Now, if we could actually get back to engaging the defender and actually impeding his progression, like we used to in the years prior, we'll be like that well oiled machine we used to be.

I haven't had a chance to see all the plays this year, but with the few drives I have seen, it's the same bad technique we showed last year.

To the ones that played football, and to anyone that follows their local high schools: what offense did your team or your local schools run?

We ran the Wing-T my first two years and then the Power-I the past two. The blocking style and technique in our Power-I was relatively close to how Tech currently attacks their set, with the cuts and chip blocks and focusing on the second and third level of defense with the line after taking care of the first level of defense (mainly because we were generally undersized).

My HS in the 80s ran the wing T.

Wing-T, 1998-2000.

Back