Hollings

PenaltiesGalore

Varsity Lurker
Tech fans...As an interested Jaguar fan, I am wondering what kind of RB you expect Hollings to be in the NFL? Has there been any indication on where he is expected to be drafted in the Sup Draft? What teams are interested? Thanx for any info...

The only thing I really have is that he is really hungry for the endzone and runs hard to get there.

Originally posted by PenaltiesGalore:
Tech fans...As an interested Jaguar fan, I am wondering what kind of RB you expect Hollings to be in the NFL? Has there been any indication on where he is expected to be drafted in the Sup Draft? What teams are interested? Thanx for any info...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">As a GT fan, he was the most exciting player to watch since Joe Hamilton - he did amazing things with the rock.

As an NFL fan, I will say that Hollings has his work cut out for him to be a contributing NFL player. He hasn't tested the knee since the injury and it would benefit him to have a full year against college competition vs. jumping into the fire against NFL size and speed. If he can get over the mental part of his injury, I will not count out the possibility of seeing him carry the rock on Sundays.

He is a tremendous talent, but we just don't know how fragile he really is. That ACL went without contact, which happens, but there are a lot of good athletes whose musculature exceeds their ligaments ability to hold the bones together....

I wish him the best, but he is somewhat of a risk, especially coming off the ACL last year.

I talked to Tony's sister Saturday. She said that he was going to see a second doctor about his knee. The doctor was supposed to take more x-rays but expected everything to be fine. She said that he does a lot of running to strengthen his knee. I hope for his sake & the sake of our little bity town that he is drafted by a great team, works hard & shows people that he can be even better than he ever was before when given the chance.

Let me put it this way. There is no doubt he did an excellent job for GT the short time he played for us.

If I personally had the job of spending a teams money trying to find the best players available, I would have a hard time justifying paying big money on a hunch.

I will be surprised if he goes early with his short experience on offense and his injury. His physique does not look as if it could stand continual punishment by the big and mean defenses of the NFL.

After saying all of this, I personally hope he gets drafted high and has a great career in the NFL.

wink.gif

From www.profootballtalk.com Rumor Mill - POSTED 9:35 a.m. EDT, June 28, 2003
INTEREST IN HOLLINGS UNCERTAIN

A league source tells us that it's presently unclear as to whether any NFL team will be burning a 2004 draft pick early, by selecting Georgia Tech running back Tony Hollings in the July 10 supplemental draft.

Per the source, Hollings generally is regarded as a very good athlete who may or may not have the instincts to play running back in the NFL. He played the position at Tech for only four games before tearing up his knee.

Sure, he was leading the nation in rushing average at the time, but two of those games came against early-season cannon fodder like UConn and Vanderbilt.

There are other potential problems. Because Hollings declared himself eligible for the supplemental draft only recently, teams won't have the same kind of opportunity to poke and prod his knee as they would've had if Hollings were part of the "normal" draft pool. As it stands, any team who wants to take a look at Hollings must send a delegation to Atlanta.

Also, word is that Hollings isn't ready to run the 40, which has prompted some folks within league circles to question whether Hollings has been sufficiently diligent in his rehab efforts and/or in his workout habits.

Finally, the fact that Hollings managed to flunk out of a cash-driven collegiate educational system that found a way to churn out the likes of Dexter Manley suggests that, when it comes to the books, Hollings is even more worthless than the typical athlete-student.

These facts likely indicate that teams won't be inclined to take a flyer on Hollings. Every April a fresh crop of running back prospects hits the market, and NFL teams always have a full and fair chance to investigate the potential draft picks before pulling the trigger.

Still, we wonder whether a team with a clear need in 2003 for an extra tailback might throw a seventh-rounder at Hollings. The Bucs, for example, are facing the loss of Michael Pittman to the Mean Machine -- and they're likely to get a supplemental pick or two in 2004 based on the departure of Dexter Jackson and Al Singleton.

So why not use the current seventh rounder on Hollings?

The problem, of course, is that if the Bucs send a couple of guys to Atlanta to check out Hollings, someone else might become interested in drafting him. And as the buzz grows, more and more teams might think about burning a low-round pick on Hollings.

We expect, then, to hear nothing at all about a team being specifically interested in Hollings. And, in the end, we peg his chance at being taken after round five at 50-50, at best.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">These guys are usually dead-on when it comes to NFL speculation. Of course, they're only addressing his potential "draftability" instead of his potential NFL career.

The pros look at their drafting plans much different than a fan from the school of the potential draftee. It appears the article is probably accurate from the standpoint of the pro observers.

However, Hollings is probably doing the right thing for his situation. Since he has lost the ability to play this year in college, and he might possibly be reinjured in college, he can lose little by opting for the draft.

Perhaps, he will at least get drafted in the last rounds and get some money out of the situation. That would be better than nothing.

He is in a tough situation and has few good options. I hope he has good luck in his efforts.

smile.gif

He was just about as quick out of the backfield as any back you'll see. He could bounce outside like linemen were made of rubber. In the open field he didn't get caught from behind.

After the ACL....

We all hope he does great, he's a wonderful kid.

More Hollings news...

From DallasNews.com (Registration required.)
Ga. Tech RB gets Cowboys' attention

Ga. Tech RB gets Cowboys' attention

Dallas, other teams watch Gailey-coached Hollings at workout

07/02/2003

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

The Cowboys were among nearly 20 teams in Atlanta on Tuesday to see the workout of former Georgia Tech running back Tony Hollings, who led the nation in rushing last season through four games before blowing out his left knee.

The Cowboys sent trainer Britt Brown to look at Hollings' repaired knee, along with two scouts.

Hollings (5-10, 223) made himself eligible for the NFL's July 10 supplemental draft after being declared academically ineligible after the spring semester. Hollings is the most intriguing prospect of a nearly nonexistent supplemental draft class of six players. (Until two weeks ago, only receiver Brad Pyatt of Northern Colorado and defensive end Earl Cochran of Alabama State had entered).

Hollings was a safety who played mostly special teams his first two seasons at Georgia Tech. But he moved to running back as a junior under coach Chan Gailey and ran wild.

After games against Vanderbilt, Connecticut, Clemson and BYU, Hollings had run for 633 yards on 92 carries (6.9 yards per carry) and 11 touchdowns. He was second in scoring at the time of his injury.

He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in the final minutes of a victory over BYU. Hollings, however, says he's recovered. Agent Todd France says his client is a steal.

The supplemental draft lasts seven rounds. Any team selecting Hollings will forfeit its pick in the same round in next year's NFL draft. Most NFL experts say Hollings will probably be taken in the fourth or fifth round. Teams considered most interested are Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Green Bay, New England and Tampa Bay.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Hollings is a steal as a 3rd round pick IMO. If had played GT, he would have been a 1st Rounder next year.

Hollings was fun to watch, the surprise of the early season. I would've loved to have seen him run against the meat of the schedule. He certainly racked up the yards early, but against lesser competition. I think BYU, UC, UConn, and Vandy were a combined 20-29.

He a hoss, and I wish him well.

Count,

Remember Hollings was leading the nation in rushing when he went down. At that point in the season most of the big conference schools are playing their weakest competition as well. I don't think you should discount Tony's performance based on the competition because most of the other elite backs are playing comparable (or worse) competition at that time of the year.

Back