Homer Rice and quick thinking.

RWLRAR

Varsity Lurker
When Bill Curry informed Homer Rice that he was leaving Tech for Alabama, I've read that his first thought was: Where is Bobby Ross? That was a good thought, and how that played out lead to great things. I'm no Homer Rice, but 30 real time minutes into that Notre Dame game, as I sat there pretending to check things on my phone, and eventually freezing my a** off, my mind wandered to a similar place. I thought: Where is Tom Herman? Turns out he is an offensive analyst for the Bears. That would be a solid OC hire, and someone who could step up if things don't work out with Collins. Texas was stupid for firing him.

JRJacket

Flats Noob
When Bill Curry informed Homer Rice that he was leaving Tech for Alabama, I've read that his first thought was: Where is Bobby Ross? That was a good thought, and how that played out lead to great things. I'm no Homer Rice, but 30 real time minutes into that Notre Dame game, as I sat there pretending to check things on my phone, and eventually freezing my a** off, my mind wandered to a similar place. I thought: Where is Tom Herman? Turns out he is an offensive analyst for the Bears. That would be a solid OC hire, and someone who could step up if things don't work out with Collins. Texas was stupid for firing him.
Forget OC… Herman 4 Head Coach

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Would love to hire Tom Herman.

It’s hard to believe CGC (whom is well renowned as being a “player’s coach”) having his players quit on him. Once that happens, you’ve reached the point of no return.

As I understand it, Goose was supposed to be brought in as OC and then ultimately replace Collins. That’s an awful plan/strategy to have in place.

Stansbury and his ugly ass turf and lawsuit baggage need to take a hike ASAP.

Last edited:

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Can somebody point me to what the lawsuit references are about? First I heard of it was over the weekend - is this to do with the former WBB coach or something else?

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Can somebody point me to what the lawsuit references are about? First I heard of it was over the weekend - is this to do with the former WBB coach or something else?
Had an ongoing lawsuit with Oregon State (his former employer).

PTCreekJacket

Varsity Lurker
Stansbury borrowed 1.1 million from Tech in 2016 and received an approximate 80 percent pay raise over existing salary to cover the remainder of his buyout to Oregon State. Oregon State sued in December 2019 alleging he defaulted on the loan. Tech loaned him another 1.5 M to settle the debt in full in early 2020. Salary was reduced at that time. If Stansbury stays through 2026, the debt is forgiven. If he leaves before then, my understanding is he owes some of that money back. I don’t know the formula but guessing pro rata over 6 years as the suit got settled in early 2020 (would be roughly 1 M as he’s about 1/3 through the 6 years he’s in reduced salary),

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Thanks for the links- so why did a respected poster suggest this lawsuit could parallel the Collins buyout in magnitude? This seems small and resolved.

wreckless

Flats Noob
Thanks for the links- so why did a respected poster suggest this lawsuit could parallel the Collins buyout in magnitude? This seems small and resolved.
Not the OSU lawsuit, the current one in which MaChelle Joseph is seeking unspecified compensation for economic losses, damage to professional reputation, and pain and suffering, and also punitive damages and attorney’s fees and costs.

Last edited:

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member

cincytechie

Jolly Good Fellow
Why would Tom Herman ever accept an OC job at GT after being HC at Texas (with a decent record there)? Some of you are delusional. It would be a stretch for him to even accept our HC job. He'll get another high-profile HC job soon.