Honestly, no offense to the good folks that

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
follow recruiting closely...and I appreciate the information...

But to take a brief step back and think about recruiting matters...for the actions/decisions of an 18 year old to make or break your day....I dunno...Seems kind of weird to me....

Gosh, these are just kids for heavens sake - they barely have their drivers license...It just seems that these kids get some kind of power during this period of time - like the whole world is in the balance based on their decisions.

I'm not condemming the recruiting process, or even watching it closely or anything like that. But the emotions etc in awaiting the response of an 18 year old is just strange.

I want Tech to get great players etc., and I DEFINITELY understand the vast importance of recruiting great players for the future of Saturdays on the flats - it just seems that the reaction of adults is disproportionate..(or something like that)..

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Seems like you have just described college athletics.

Grown men and grown women who have emotional attachments to teams and the actions (or signing day decisions) of 17-21 year olds determine whether they are happy or let down.

Recruiting is just a way of extending the football season for me.

I don't go drink heavily or kick my dog because of IYC's decision, but I am a little disappointed just like I am when Tech loses a basketball or football game. OK, maybe I do kick my Dawg :-)

Tech needs some good news, even if it comes from a 17 yearold kid, after the last game of the season.

Hope springs eternal!

Gold Rush, no more important than it is to get on the Tech boards every day.

grin.gif

i follow recruiting heavily but its more of a hobby for me..Certainly i would have rather IYC committed to GT but i wouldnt say it exactly ruined my day

I don't see anyone upset over IYC's decision. It's exciting and fun to me, recruiting. I explained that down below.

Don't understand what you're refering too. Have I missed something on the board that would cause you to post this?

I was messing around in regards to "I'm worthless". I was stating that I'm ready to know and move on.

BTW, I was impressed with IYC in chat. Wish him well at UVA.

GO Jackets!

IYC... A perfect example of why college sports are so much better than pro.... recruiting, emotions; rarely do you see that in NBA, NFL, MLB, etc..

Ahso - Great point ! I agree

GTTerrific - I'm actually thinking of the kids who pull stunts like having multiple hats to pick from at a press conference....Or the guy (last year?) that comes to a press conference in a Tech hat then switches.....Stuff like that.

It just seems that we put these young kids on a pedestal (sp?), and discuss/treat them like royality etc - then we're all perplexed when they (SOME, not all) get to college and act like punks.
I think all the hoop-la etc, around their recruiting helps set the stage for some individuals to act like punks when it goes to their heads....

I'm not referencing any actions by Tech fans on this board...Just kind of a general/generic comments about the whole process of recruiting High school kids and how much attention etc goes into the process - its not surprising that an 18 year old would let it go to his head --> and when it does, we all act surprised at the behavior...

Originally posted by Gold Rush:
Ahso - Great point ! I agree

GTTerrific - I'm actually thinking of the kids who pull stunts like having multiple hats to pick from at a press conference....Or the guy (last year?) that comes to a press conference in a Tech hat then switches.....Stuff like that.

It just seems that we put these young kids on a pedestal (sp?), and discuss/treat them like royality etc - then we're all perplexed when they (SOME, not all) get to college and act like punks.
I think all the hoop-la etc, around their recruiting helps set the stage for some individuals to act like punks when it goes to their heads....

I'm not referencing any actions by Tech fans on this board...Just kind of a general/generic comments about the whole process of recruiting High school kids and how much attention etc goes into the process - its not surprising that an 18 year old would let it go to his head --> and when it does, we all act surprised at the behavior...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hear ya! You make a VERY good point.

Back