How can Tech capture the imaginations of Atlanta?

Re: We\'ve Won 24 Games...

I would award the SEC East Championship to the best team.

I'd give it to UGA, because UGA was the best team of that group and will probably be again this year.

I think that UGA has National Championship talent - Second to none talent, and slightly behind that in a coaching staff - although I could never get on board, no matter the success. As much as I hate it, a NC is a Florida Game away for you guys.

Nick Saban is a better coach than Richt, but he's one of the 'few' that are, and he's not a better recruiter.

LSU will be the real hurdle for UGA, and you could take them on the right day. Look at what Florida did to them last year. Unless you have the talent that Miami did about 3 years ago, any national title could go to any one of about 6 programs with the right breaks most years.

But, I don't usually argue with skirt boys that brag about mixing a soft drink with their liquor, either.

Bourbon and Sprite?

It's water, ice, or nothing. Someone had to teach me (although, quite some time ago), so I'll teach you.

It's ok to not know, but it's not ok to be 'so' proud of your social ignorance that you choose it for your name.

You can never post on this board again without a few hundred people immediately discounting your social education right off the bat. You don't get to change your name, but at least, for you, it is 'distinctively' BullDawg, if you know what I mean.

You don't put ketchup on your filet do you? Don't tell me if you do.

And don't let your girl drink White Zin either. If it's pink, it's not ok. If it's sweet, it's worse than that - wine or liquor.

And Olive Garden is not one of the 'nice' restaurants. You've got to go somewhere better for that special night, 'BourbonandSprite'.

So - right back at you - "WTF?" yourself, classy boy (Einstein, right?)

Re: ***

[ QUOTE ]
Poster: bourbonandsprite
Subject: Re: We've Won 24 Games...

...over the past two years. You can't do that with just "smoke & mirrors." As far as your comment about the SEC ADs "chickening out and not awarding the SEC East Championship based on head to head" UGA beats UT, UT beats UF, UF beats UGA and all three schools end up with the same conference record. Now, Einstein how on earth do you award the SEC East Championship based on head to head results?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give it to FLorida or FU. whatever you want to call them. They beat you guys and they were the "only team" beat a NC- LSU last year. Even though they lost to Tennessee and besides the fact LSU is in the west. That would settle the tie breaker in my book. But that's just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions...

Opinions are like Georgia Fans, everybody has one. Or something like that!
pooper.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hugelaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Re: We\'ve Won 24 Games...

[ QUOTE ]
...over the past two years. You can't do that with just "smoke & mirrors." As far as your comment about the SEC ADs "chickening out and not awarding the SEC East Championship based on head to head" UGA beats UT, UT beats UF, UF beats UGA and all three schools end up with the same conference record. Now, Einstein how on earth do you award the SEC East Championship based on head to head results? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif
MJ_AU_03.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to admit LSU would have got a better game out of the Gators...

Call back when yall have won a NC, then you can run your mouth, thanks in advance.

I said you\'ve had talent..

Good Lord....kinda testy there.
My question is really more about off the field. I don't understand the infatuation with Georgie. I'm a native ATL, grew up in Dekalb County,SFKUGA was sort of out there in athens. The people that really liked them might as well have been green acres folks. And let me tell you, no one was more suprised at the types of people wearing red in Jacksonville last year. It was clear they didn't know the history of the SFKUGA.

It's just hard for me to rationalize the support. I guess state pride means more if your hometown has only one stoplight.

Back to the Field. You say you've won 24 games over two years, and Richt's lost only one game on the road. From down here in G'ville, I would contend that the SEC was down in 2002, and average in 2003. When has georgie had a talent advantage over UT, FL, BAMA, AU, since divisional play? Coincidentally, the last two years, and you can't look me in the face and say that Arkansas was the best team in the West in 2002. You got the best team in the West in 2003, and what happened. We know exactly how good Saban is? We helped put him there.

Georgie is good, but they haven't been great. We're good, and haven't been bad since 1994.

Oh, btw, I'm not Einstein, my field is polymer science. The correct nome de plume would be Flory, or Carothers.

Oddly no one mentioned the Falcons.In Atl we are in competition with them for some fball fans.If we win and they don't we might pick up some sidewalk fans to support us.--IF we win.

We gotta win--

I think that's the key here, AlaGold. Somebody said it earlier in the thread, and I'm agreeing. Nothing succeeds like success. Look at how many doors for Maryland football Fridge has opened up there. It's an unappreciated accomplishment that we haven't sunk to a losing record when we've had every chance to the last 2-3 years. Auburn's had a losing record within the last 5 years. So has USC. So has UVA. So has Notre Dame. We haven't. We've won that battle. But not the war. No more losses to the likes of Wake at home, Duke, BYU during a BAD season for them. We've got to win the games we're supposed to in football and keep pulling an upset or two here and there. In hoops, this next season will be a key season. The Tech fanbase and the Atlanta area is pumped about our team, but if you can remember all the disgusting talk about how "the national title game's already been played" and "this game is why the final four should be reseeded" crap, we are viewed as a fluke by a significant portion of national college hoops fans. We have to follow it up with another top notch year to solidify ourselves.

Re: Everybody likes a winner

I'll second that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Hey techfowl

Pursuant to your copied/truncated post below:

Thank you for teaching me how to be a refined southern gentleman like you. I don't know how I made it this far without you.

First of all (the low hanging fruit):

If you don't like the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif graemlin then take it up with the board administrator.

I eat my steak medium rare without any kind of sauce. My wife likes very dry wine like merlot and when I take her out somewhere nice to eat we don't go to the Olive Garden we go to the 1818 Club here in Duluth which btw is Members Only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggerGrin.gif.

Second of All:

I drink bourbon and sprite because that is WHAT I LIKE TO DRINK especially back at the ole fraternity house in Athens on game days. I have a sweet tooth. I also like sweet bbq sauce and sweet cornbread so what. I don't change my tastes because some older gentleman tells me that what I am drinking isn't appropriate like you did. I do what I want to do. Not to impress a certain sect of people. I also show up to the duck blind with my Remington 1100 3" and steel shot because that is what works for me. I can see you now (because you sound like a wanna be) showing up duck hunting with your $2,000 Benelli Shotgun with Bismuth Shells and a set of Orvis waiters just so the guys in the blind will talk to you.

I on the other hand am secure in my faith, intellect and standing the community. By the viciousness and condescending tone in your last post you appear to be a big fake putting others down to make him feel good << how pathetic.

GBlue_AU_03.jpg

Bourbon and Sprite?

It's water, ice, or nothing. Someone had to teach me (although, quite some time ago), so I'll teach you.

It's ok to not know, but it's not ok to be 'so' proud of your social ignorance that you choose it for your name.

You can never post on this board again without a few hundred people immediately discounting your social education right off the bat. You don't get to change your name, but at least, for you, it is 'distinctively' BullDawg, if you know what I mean.

You don't put ketchup on your filet do you? Don't tell me if you do.

And don't let your girl drink White Zin either. If it's pink, it's not ok. If it's sweet, it's worse than that - wine or liquor.

And Olive Garden is not one of the 'nice' restaurants. You've got to go somewhere better for that special night, 'BourbonandSprite'.

So - right back at you - "WTF?" yourself, classy boy (Einstein, right?)

Edited by techfowl (06/22/04 01:59 AM)

A Load of B and S...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif

So what, I s**t bigger than you.

Re: Hey techfowl

B&S,

Response to Part 1: I think it's funny that you actually explained yourself. You did kind of fall into a bit of inconsistency and hypocricy with the Members Only comment.

Response to Part 2: Pretty strong, actually. I'll call a spade a spade. You actually have my respect for a good response.

In fact, I'll explain myself.

I 'do' hunt with a Benelli, but it was about a grand, not 2. And it's my second one. The first has no blue left at all and the action started having problems. Neither was bought on a whim, or for show.

You don't go through the life of a Benelli in 10 years because you hunt for show. I had to get a 3 1/2" gun because I hunt geese in March in Arkansas after the duck season ends.

I don't hunt in Orvis waders, like the fly fishing friends that my UGA friends bring to my farm.

I use the Cabela's tough whatever's that I've had for a while for waders. I wear the same OD Green wool sweater that I've literally worn for so long that it has blue, green, and black thread in about 5 places where I've sewed it back together. Old Filson hat, and OD green shirt. When my shirt and sweater wear out, I'll switch to the exact copies my brother had before he died, and do it all over again until that wears out.

I doubt any person that hunts with me would think I fit the category you described. Those kinds of guys don't hunt by themselves, and they sure don't hunt with the same reasons in mind. They all have the latest camo. I've got the same Browning Woodland Brown camo jacket I've had since whenever you could still get it.

Those other guys didn't train their own dogs, and they don't have a good time when they don't kill anything, either.

My grandad and brother taught me how to drink, so I can't apologize for that.

I'm the guy that owns the blind. Actually I'm the guy that owns the tree we lean against when the woodies come in, or the boat that takes us to the big ducks on the big water.

I do spend quite a bit of time in Arkansas hunting within a mile of Claypools reservoir.

People come to hunt with me. I'm not the guy that needs approval. I do all the preseason work, which is a lot, and I delight in bringing people who understand what being outside means, and sometimes I let them shoot 'my' limit, while I enjoy them, enjoying my place.

I cook them breakfast. I plant the fields that they deer hunt on, which I don't have the heart to do anymore, and I clean their deer while they act like they're helping.

I don't mount my ducks, I eat them. I don't have a DU sticker on the truck.

I call turkeys 'every' year for friends who come to my farm, and I haven't actually shot one myself since about 1995.

Most of my friends from high school went to UGA. I still hunt with a couple of them, and will probably marry the sister of one of them, who is also a Dawg alumni.

So here is the story on every UGA frat boy that my friends bring home. They all thought ATL was 'it' and that anywhere else besides ATL was hick town, until they got to UGA.

Then it became cool to be country, and they all started wearing RedWings with their khaki's and wanting to hunt, and my UGA friends brought them to my place and I treated them like gold and taught them how to be outdoors.

Those are the wanabe's and - seriously - they all bring their 1100's (promise), but there's nothing wrong with that - 1100 is a good gun.

When I think "wannabe," I think 'UGA frat boy.' I am a fraternity man myself, but I always felt my group had a little less need to emulate each other. UGA has it down to a science, you must admit. We all fall into it to 'some' degree, but you guys are clones of one another.

Tell me you don't have a pair of grey New Balance sneakers, khaki's, red pique golf shirt, and shades on croakies, that you have not worn in the last week. It's ok if you smile. It's funny.

You came on our board talking trash. It made me angry and I took a shot at you. You begged for it.

You also posted a picture - twice - of your boys smacking the 'same' team we also smacked, which isn't really bragging rights according to you guys. Although the Greg Blue 'hit' is something to be proud of, you didn't really meet us all in a very subtle way.

You called my boy, Einstein, implying he was DA. In response to his thoughts you asked, "WTF?" which is pretty foul language. I only returned the viciousness 'you' started. You ridiculed his thoughts, so I picked what was wrong with yours to show you how it feels.

What was I supposed to do? Seriously.

I responded the same way to you, that your friends would respond to me, if I showed up at your fraternity house after the GT/UGA game with my gold shirt and pocket protector on, and just jumped into the conversation telling one of your buddies what's wrong with him.

You will find a decent crowd here if you start off a little lighter, before moving on to the insults. If you make friends first, we take the shots in stride. If you start off with the shots, the shots come back pretty fast.

I was harsh, and for that I apologize. Although I was not completely unjustified to dislike your post, I could have made a better point a better way. Stick around and I'll work on it.

Re: Hey techfowl

Waders.

They are basicly rubber, neoprene, or Gore-Tex boots that go up to your chest, or hips, or knees, so you won't get wet when you 'wade' through water.

'Waders' for wading; as opposed to 'waiters', like a waiter at a restaurant.

You may have already known some of that, so forgive me if I overexplained.

Trying to get back to the topic at hand:

TSFKAUGA has all the "natural" advantages to outfan us and to worry about it at all is fruitless. They are close to Atlanta, their natural rivals are close to Columbus (2nd biggest city), Augusta (3rd biggest city), Savannah (4th, near Jax and UF game), etc. To compare to them in any way is just a waste of time.

I personally believe that Tech should really attack Atlanta. Atlanta is loaded with white collar workers and many are transplants. They would more quickly and naturally root for Tech than other folks. However, that is not to start elitism.

Tech's elitism comes from the athletic fervor in the state. TSFKAUGA has all the advantages. About the only thing Tech's fan could respond with over the years is the education bit and real student athlete argument.

The fact that Tech uses calculus, for example, immediately throws out any natural connection to the masses. But we should attempt to include all because we do need them.

Having said that and going back, Atlanta is still the spot we should be aggressively marketing. Basketball does best in the cities and Tech does well there. Work off of that and expand the base for all sports.

You mean you really don't care about the difference between waders and waiters?

[ QUOTE ]
You mean you really don't care about the difference between waders and waiters?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe b&s has a couple of guys named Orvis serve him food and drink when he goes hunting.

Like a DA, I didn't even catch it when TexStinger left me the hanging softball. Just noticed.

I appreciate TexStinger and you sticking up for me. I probably didn't deserve it this time, so that means you really are friends.

Like the e-mail I got recently. It said:

A good friend will bail you out of jail when you get in trouble.

A great friend will be sitting right there next to you, saying, "Man, we messed up this time..."

Hey Tech Fowl (Re: Last Night\'s Post)

I also apologize for being a bit vicious in my previous post. You sound like a pretty good guy once you dropped that condescending tone in your post. I enjoyed hearing about your hunting experiences. In fact, I will also be going to Stuttgart this Winter so if you see a guy sipping on a bourbon and sprite @ Lil Chef or one of the other restaurants in Stuttgart stop and say "hi" and if it is me I'll buy you a bourbon and water or soda or whatever William Faulkner or Robert Ruark suggests you refined Southern Gentlemen should drink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Re: Hey Tech Fowl (Re: Last Night\'s Post)

I didn't know U[sic]GA fans could read, much less comprehend Faulkner. Glad to meet the diamond in the pig s*#t. After all, Athens is a nice place and most of the people are nice.

Anyway, if Tech wants to capture the "imagination" of Atlanta it needs to win a little more. But more than that it should play to its strengths. We are a great academic institution, we don't cheat etc...I think we can appeal to a lot of folks who want a "wholesome" school to cheer for and send their kids too. Additionally, we have very, very, strong ties with many businesses throught the metro area and world for that matter. Working with these companies we could do many things beyond the research $ to build fan and school support among their employees.

Back