How do we feel really about losing?

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
But wasn't Mangino that last "hot" assistant? He must be great, everybody said so. Seriously, they have been bad for so long 2-10 may actually have established a base for improvement. Now Duke is another story, I think they've gone way overboard with Franks.

I'm chapped and will be for some time. The day we don't get chapped is the day we'll end up 2-10. I've lived through those years before and do not want to do it again.

Complacency is not an attribute of winners. We need to be mad and we need to make steps are taken to correct the morass.

To those of you who somehow can rationalize 7-5 is okay for this group of players I extend to you a vertical smile.

And by the way, when the commies are coming over the hill, you're the guy I don't want in my foxhole. Settling for mediocrity never got anybody anyplace. If you're not mad, you are a loser.

My expectations were much higher than the results. I am extremely dissapointed with the season and especially the Georgia game.

It seems the wisest decision is to give Gailey one more year to solidify the team and make necessary changes. If there is no significant progress next year, I will be one of the vocals asking for a change at the top.

If I see staff changes at the end of the year, I will know there is an attempt to rectify the problems. If I see no staff changes at the end of the year, it will tell me in advance things will be no better next year.

wink.gif

I also agree that CG should get one more season to see if he can pull things together without doing much long-term damage.

On second thought...is there such a thing as a "sophomore slump" in coaching?
shocked.gif

Think you could ever get to the point where you can rationalize it away?

My wife and her family for several generations are all Kansas grads. Back in the 70s they ran a pretty fair football program. The Riggins boys and several other NFL players came through Kansas.

Well, they just signed their head coach up for another year; after finishing 2-10!

Here are the details. http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1205/1472029.html

Pretty amazing when you think about it, My brother-in-laws follow Kansas State’s football team, waiting for basketball season.

Can you imagine ever allowing our program to slide like that? Wisconsin had a similar slide, almost dropped football until they decided to take it seriously.

I am still angry about Saturday in Athens... and have to say that I have my doubts about Gailey and his ability to adjust to the college game... I could have taken the stomping much better if we had at least shown up... but I feel we were ready to play about 3 games this year.. Vandy, NCST, and Va... other than that, it seemed like the flavor of the week... so how do I feel? I am still pissed, but I will support whoever is coaching this team, and will support the guys on the team... I will give them my full support... but my expectations are a lot more than what I have seen the past two years...

Added a year to his contract that already ran through 2006. Wow! Get that off of here before DB sees it.

To me, losing is only acceptable when there's progress being made at some level, be it in the standings or the team's morale. That's exactly why I think Paul Hewitt was a great hire two years ago and why I have my doubts about Gailey.

I certainly wouldn't have handed Mangino an extension after one season when he's already been signed through 2006. I don't follow Kansas at all, but you've got to become really complacent to accept being the perennial doormat of the Big XII. I don't know if Mangino has made the people at KU more confident about the program, so I can't really say whether or not they're headed in the right direction.

I'd guess that they'd say they're a basketball school, like Duke. To me though, that doesn't justify being a perennial loser for the other half of the school year.

Im with Jacketguy and Goldbuzz. While Im realistic enough to realize we aren't Oklahoma or Michigan in resources, we certainly can be better than Rice or Tulane. I, along with Jacketguy, just can't fathom how you find anything positive about a 51-7 route. I haven't seen or heard anything from the AA in days, which doesn't instill alot of confidence it even got anyone's attention.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
My expectations were much higher than the results. I am extremely dissapointed with the season and especially the Georgia game.

It seems the wisest decision is to give Gailey one more year to solidify the team and make necessary changes. If there is no significant progress next year, I will be one of the vocals asking for a change at the top.

If I see staff changes at the end of the year, I will know there is an attempt to rectify the problems. If I see no staff changes at the end of the year, it will tell me in advance things will be no better next year.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually Ahso.. you predicted a 7-5 season last spring... (but nobody would have predicted the blowout in Athens)

JacketGuy, I believe I have had to own up to a mistake regarding this in another post. I actually predicted a 11-1 season.

I might have posted our expectations from the sports gurus would probably be about 7-5, and then I gave the reasons. All of that was only in a post needling BeeWare.

No, I blew the call on the season big-time.

drinking.gif

I hate losing it stinks of course i hate to lose races because i am an fast runner and like to win races.I hate to watch GT lose.

Nothing could make that loss just background noise in a rivalry like ours, except maybe a long run of domination by us. Otherwise it's there like a red wart on a bald man's head. My only solace is that I'm old enough to remember the long run we had in the '50s, so that to this day, UGAG seems like an upstart to me. We'll remember this a long time.

On the other hand, I'm not interested in finding a scapegoat or a conspiracy to explain the game. Georgia just came out and beat the crap out of us.

As I've said ad nauseum on here, it's not the "W" or "L"'s that concern me, so much as where the program is headed - is it getting better or worse?

I bit the bullet, tried to give benefit of the doubt, and drove to Athens with my heart instead of my head. I expected that we would at least stay close and who knows, try to shorten the game with a chance to pull out an upset late.

That total annihilation, to anyone who knows football, is indicative not just of a team playing better on a given day, a few bad bounces, or a huge gap in talent. Most games have some sort of an ebb and flow, this one was a disaster from horn to horn. This wipeout I'm afraid indicates there is trouble at the foundation. Losing to UG this year - expected. 51-7? Should not ever occur at any point in Tech's history. This year it did. I'm not sure there is any solid evidence - especially now that the staff is underground - that their is an acknowledgement of failure or an action plan to correct in the future. Each day that passes brings us closer to the 03 kickoff vs. Auburn, and that my friends, does not bode well.

How can you say there is no acknowledgement of failure? What else could anyone in the AA be thinking? What you evidently want is the axe to fall on someone or public lamentations of how badly we sucked. Neither is going to happen, in the case of staff changes at least not now.

Just what kind of "solid evidence" are you looking for? We still have a game to play remember? You don't tear things down with one more to go IMO. I think we'll see some changes for the bowl game, and then starting right after I think we'll see Chan putting things where he wants them. Next year will be all on him one way of the other.

NCjacket,

I agree public flogging we won't see, but in the privacy of GTAA; let's just hope...

There is some merit to the arguement that if you know a change is going to be made, to make it before the bowl game so we can try a few new things for next year; guess that makes the arguement that bowl games are really just pre-season games....

Face it, if we were the type of fans that lived and died with every game, we probably would be Miami U. fans and be stupid and happy. Part of the bonus of being a GT fan is that you can hold your head high knowing that you're supporting a quality university and top-flight student athletes. But, because GT is academically challeging and can't recruit jail bait, we're never going to be the best-of-the-best on the field. I'd love for us to go undefeated every year, but 8-3s or 7-5s with bowl games and Dawg-wins is still better than having to root for Duke. The real question is, how are we going to feel about 3-8s if the program tanks.

In a way the Georgia game summed up how the entire season could have gone. Disasterous.

Originally posted by gnats 67:
In a way the Georgia game summed up how the entire season could have gone. Disasterous.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It also summed up the decision to hire Chan Gailey. Total Disaster.
And I know it is hard to even fathom, but the worst is yet to come.
All this was not necessary.

51-7....a day that will live in infamy.

Back