How Many on Scholarship?

I read where MasterB posted on the Hive Premium board that he was told by Coach Wilson that we would sign 24.

I read where MasterB posted on the Hive Premium board that he was told by Coach Wilson that we would sign 24.

Big Buck, that is worth repeating!

grin.gif

We could actually sign a lot more if we bring in some early (January).

With Hartley gone, we are now down to 68 on scholarship. This is assuming that we have now put PJ Daniels on "permanent" scholarship. (I know they are technically all one year deals...but you know what I mean.)

If Kenton Johnson and Chris Woods earn "permanent" scholarships that would give us 70.

Coaches tend to give any "leftover" scholarships to deserving walk-on's for one year if they are available...particularly if they are seniors and have stuck it out for 4/5 years.

I don't know how many we have but if I read through your question General I'm wondering the same thing - the kids are bailing out faster than we can bring them in. You flunk 10, undersign two years in a row and then have some quit, you've got a serious problem that takes years to turn around.

Father.. I feel your pain.. chan has placed us on self-imposed probation.. Then again as an NFL coach he's used to working with 45 players on the roster, so maybe that is where we are headed... Pains me to say it but this ship is only a few weeks away from going vertical.....

BeeBad.. It DOESNT pain you to say that.. You ENJOY saying that..Who are you kidding?? You wanting to be so right ..So you can pound your chest at the rest of us and tell us all That you know so much about Football....

Chan is calling the shots and doing what is best for this football team..After suffering through the QB situation last year, im convinced this move just makes the most reasonable sense for the LONG range best interest for our team...Thank goodness Chan seems to be calling the shots and not listening to people like Bark Madley at the ajc..the big Sec Guru. Who wants us to fail....

If it's Chan's fault when football players fail out, who's fault is it when "normal" students fail out?

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
BeeBad.. It DOESNT pain you to say that.. You ENJOY saying that..Who are you kidding?? You wanting to be so right ..So you can pound your chest at the rest of us and tell us all That you know so much about Football....

Chan is calling the shots and doing what is best for this football team..After suffering through the QB situation last year, im convinced this move just makes the most reasonable sense for the LONG range best interest for our team...Thank goodness Chan seems to be calling the shots and not listening to people like Bark Madley at the ajc..the big Sec Guru. Who wants us to fail....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">There's been a lot of players over the years who weren't great practice players but when the lights came on were stars.. The proper move would've been to let Bilbo start and see what he's got... If he didn't cut it he could've worked Ball in vs BYU... Here's the prob, BW.. morale of the rest of the team... Do you know who Bilbo's roommate is?

Originally posted by BeeBad:

There's been a lot of players over the years who weren't great practice players but when the lights came on were stars.. The proper move would've been to let Bilbo start and see what he's got... If he didn't cut it he could've worked Ball in vs BYU... Here's the prob, BW.. morale of the rest of the team... Do you know who Bilbo's roommate is?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">tsk tsk .. beebad is a man on a mission right now. much like how mark bradley likes stirring it up using the AJC .. beebad likes stirring it up here on stingtalk.

beebad .. you've got all the skills .. you know so much about football .. you've been an ex player .. so what if you got booed? .. you even know the intangibles .. like some players practice poorly but perform well when the lights go on .. the morale of a team ..

why don't you become a coach for a living? or are you one already? i'm sure you'd make a good coach ..

Mr. bee "graduation rates are overrated" bad.

"The proper move would've been to let Bilbo start and see what he's got... If he didn't cut it he could've worked Ball in vs BYU... "

LOL .. "coach" beebad .. never been to a practice .. never seen what's going on. backseat coaching.

you're talking about the morale of the team? have you seen ball take snaps and lead the team and the morale of the team when he does that?

here's a hint .. get off of your slimy mangy butt and go look at what's going on at rose bowl field. it's too late now though .. bilbo doesn't take snaps at QB anymore .. otherwise you would have seen the difference in how the team responds to bilbo and ball.

the team will not rally around bilbo just cause .. the team rallies around the better QB .. as a true frosh .. ball looked like a better QB than bilbo.

so who is bilbo's roommate man? tell us .. mr all knowing backseat "coach" beebad.

Originally posted by General Wood:
Does anyone know the exact number of guys that we now have on scholarship?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I have been thinking the same exact thing. I don't care whose fault it is that we have had such high attrition. The facts are that we could be seriously undermanned from a numbers standpoint the next couple of years.

This is why I have been impressed so far this year with Gailey's recruiting, it has been quality. We MUST sign 25+ this year (get some in early) and make every single one of those ships count.

NEWS FLASH!!!!NEWS FLASH!!!!!
BeeBad Needs to be our Head Coach..He knows so much about football..Maybe if he became our head coach one of us that didnt like something about him like say his religious beliefs or his personaility or something..We could just start an agenda against him and rant and rave ALL day here on the sting about how bad every move he makes in practice is..

Originally posted by ParkinJacket:
If it's Chan's fault when football players fail out, who's fault is it when "normal" students fail out?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Their parents!
frown.gif

There is a huge difference in the load a regular student carries vs. an athlete. The regular student focuses on academics ALL THE TIME and never misses a class for a sports program and doesn't have to catch up like an athlete would.

The athlete HAS TO DEVOTE ALL THE TIME TO BOTH and try to keep himself/herself in good stead under some serious time constraints with both. I know what it was like academically and as a cheerleader and it was a killer.

There is a difference and some just have it a little easier then others ... but for the majority of athletes, easy is not the norm.

Mtech...I agree with you there...My children go to a private school that demands high academics..The oldest is a fine athlete and NEVER has much free time....

I do think it has been an adjustment for Chan coming to Tech and measures have now been put in place to help him monitor the Players academics...Last weeks report of NO additional players flunking out was indicitive of that....

Originally posted by ParkinJacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Why, it's still Chan's fault, Parkin. Where've you been?

Seniors = 15: 16 if Hardy has a ship.
Juniors = 13
Sophomores = 18
Freshmen = 28 (counting RS & true)

Total &gt;&gt;&gt; 74

I just wanted to make sure I was counting correctly. Approximately 70 s/a's and we will lose approximately 15 after this year. So, we have got to go two years at the least before we are back up to 85. Someone explain how we could fall so far, so fast.
Where was our administration that was supposed to help Chan out during this learning curve?
I think the problem with numbers is a valid point of discussion. I would like to hear your opinions.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ParkinJacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Their parents!
frown.gif

There is a huge difference in the load a regular student carries vs. an athlete. The regular student focuses on academics ALL THE TIME and never misses a class for a sports program and doesn't have to catch up like an athlete would.

The athlete HAS TO DEVOTE ALL THE TIME TO BOTH and try to keep himself/herself in good stead under some serious time constraints with both. I know what it was like academically and as a cheerleader and it was a killer.

There is a difference and some just have it a little easier then others ... but for the majority of athletes, easy is not the norm.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">However, you're ingonring the fact that a lot of students have to work to actually pay for their way through school, much as the SAs "work" with their practice.

Back