How many remember

oldfoggy

Dodd-Like
Dudish(sp)? Someone please enlighten me as to what happened to him and his where abouts now and what happened to him during his later years at Tech. I remember a lot of things but please refresh my memory.

OF, I remember hearing a few months back that Charlie is a minister (!) Not a rumor, I recall seeing an article. I'll try and look it up.

Edit - Here's a little info (very little)

-blurb-
"Mr. Dudish, an evangelist from Lilburn, Ga., will speak at First Baptist Church, 253 Jackson St. in Thomson, at 11 a.m. Sunday."

-similar-
"Charles Dudish, a former Georgia Institute of Technology football quarterback and All-American player, will be speaking at 11 a.m. Sunday at First Baptist Church of Thomson."

thanks gnat. As I recall he was the most sought(sp) out player QB that is, when he came to Tech.

(see edit above)

Yeah, Charlie Dudish, Avondale HS, was one of the hottest QB prospects ever to come out of the Atlanta area. Highly recruited and Tech's signing him was thought of as a complete coup. I remember him (saw him play agianst SMU. called his own number alot) as sort of an "alpha jock" kind of guy ala Broadway Joe Namath, who was popular at the time. From what I recall he sort of just flunked out/dropped out and disappeared into the minor league baseball system. Glad he's doing well. Even though things didn't work out at Tech he was a likeable guy. In fact, everybody loved Dudish. (what a name! Dudish.
smile.gif
)

Glad to hear he's doing well. I remember he was running for a TD to the south end zone in the clear with no defensive player within 30 or so yards and he stepped in a hole and fell about the 20 or so yd line. Tech lost to the Aubums that day.

Texstinger, thanks for the information. I think I had read something like that on one of the boards sometimes in the past, but had forgotten it.

I like stories with good endings. It seems this one turned out very well.

Thanks

I saw Charlie Dudish play in high school. Avondale beat my high school something like 44-0 in his senior year, and I was very excited when he signed with Tech. It seemed Tech had a run of highly-touted-but-panned-out QBs in the late 60s and early 70s with Dudish and Eddie McAshan.

I'm also glad things have worked out for him. Thanks for the thread, oldfoggy.

The slant I gathered from his situation, was his Dad was way to involved with his son's recruitment and career. It appeared to me that had a lot to do with the reason Charlie seemed confused at the time.

frown.gif

Ahso, your memory is as good as mine I remember many problems with his dad as well. Seem to remember as well that his name was Stan is that correct?

IIRC, Charles has made a succesful life for himself in Atlanta I think in a construction related industry. He has been able to get beyond the pain, for lack of better word, of those times with the love of God and as I hear it a good family. I believe I read he and his business partner are devoted Christians who pray daily before their work. I think I also read that he and his Dad were able to "reconcile" the way things had played out in 67-68-69. It was one of the first BIG public recruitments of a H.S. kid in America. It was also played out on a network TV show with another youngster, first name Jesse, from Florida. That boy went to bama and things did not pan out for him in that regards either. I am not sure if they were roomies or not but Charles and a fellow named Stan Johnston were on the frosh team at the same time. If I recall they kinda of liked to party pretty good. If memory serves during Christmas or spring break Stan was home, in Columbus I believe, and was very tragically killed in a car accident. I think alcohol was involved but do not know if it was Stan or the other driver. The point is I think this might have had an influence on Charles but am not sure. Regardless, I think then, as now, too much pressure was put on an 18 year old and he should be proud of how he has been able to go on and live a happy life.

How many of you remember this thread I started about Dudish many and I do mean many years ago. Got some good info then and now!

Avondale High School at Decatur High School, 1967 — Both were 8-0, but in those days, only the region champion qualified for the state playoffs. People were photographed watching the game on telephone poles at Decatur Stadium. Decatur’s Dennis Chadwick (younger brother of Tennessee star Walter Chadwick and older brother of Marist Head Coach Alan Chadwick) and Avondale’s Charlie Dudish were both named All Americans and the Georgia’s most highly recruited quarterbacks. Decatur won 24-14 to secure the 5-AAA Region and jumped Columbus to take the No. 1 in the AJC ranking in Class AAA (then, the highest classification in Georgia). Later, Decatur lost in a driving rainstorm to Columbus 6-0 in the semifinals. Both highly recruited, Dennis Chadwick went on to Tennessee. Charlie Dudish, selected and played for Georgia Tech.

Charley D could do it all and to me more pressure was put on him by media and fans than any tech player in recent years.He could really turn a game around but sadly he seemed to lose interest after a year or so.Yes last I heard he was in construction around Atlanta and doing well and is a lay speaker for his God and Church.He could have really been something but to me,too much pressure at too young a age.

Ahso, your memory is as good as mine I remember many problems with his dad as well. Seem to remember as well that his name was Stan is that correct?

Andy Dudish was the father. Charles had a nagging wrist injury while at Tech that never really healed and influenced his eventual downward spiral.

Yeah I finally remembered that his name was Charles and he had a room mate named Stan Johnson/Johnston or something like that. When I saw him in the Jr Varsity game against UGay he was tremendous, then I saw him again as a Soph again he was tremendous. I was extremely sorry about all that happened to this guy. I now wish him all the luck in the world.

Andy Dudish was the father. Charles had a nagging wrist injury while at Tech that never really healed and influenced his eventual downward spiral.

I recall he had a bad shoulder separation while a senior in HS. Do you recall if that ever fully healed?

I only saw him once as a freshman and that was when he played in the Jr Varsity game against UGay!

I remember how excited I was that he signed with Tech--a can't miss recruit who DID. Never came close to his hype before fading away after his frosh season. One of the highest ranked recruits EVER for Tech--which is WHY i never get excited ANYMORE about highly ranked-hyped recruits now. Really glad CD found a good niche in life and is doing well--but-- he is a prime example of TOO much hype and pressure placed on high school players.

Back