I believe Coach Gailey can do this college football thing

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
He was the right hire at the right time. Has high character & is honorable. Well thought of all his life. Knows how to coach professional players. Will always have a job. Knows how to win & reach playoffs & win playoff games in pros. Knows how to manage coaching staffs. Knows how to design offenses for best matchups. Very high name recognition nationally.
I've never criticized Chan, publicly or privately(never criticised BC either, tho, & a change was needed there), & am still feeling that he can get the hang of this college game. Surely he can get the proper coaches in here, or already has them. Tons of coaches should want to work for him. Surely he can get the players in here to win an ACC. Tons of young men should want to learn football from him. Surely he can manage a football program after 2 playoff yrs @ Dallas.
There is absolutely no reasonable thought that says he can't do it. Of course, he may not like the college situation & may move on, but he wanted this job & is eminently qualified to get it done. Surely he can get a grip on what it takes. He's won everywhere he's been & he can do it @ Ga Tech, also.

i have an innocent question .. why is there a lag between your posts on the hive and stingtalk?

you post on the hive .. and then cut and paste the same post on stingtalk after a few days

is the hive a testing ground? i know it gives you a kick to see many fonts respond to your posts

i'm just wondering why you lag your posts on stingtalk ..

Originally posted by GT Ace:
He was the right hire at the right time. Has high character & is honorable. Well thought of all his life. Knows how to coach professional players. Will always have a job. Knows how to win & reach playoffs & win playoff games in pros. Knows how to manage coaching staffs. Knows how to design offenses for best matchups. Very high name recognition nationally.
I've never criticized Chan, publicly or privately(never criticised BC either, tho, & a change was needed there), & am still feeling that he can get the hang of this college game. Surely he can get the proper coaches in here, or already has them. Tons of coaches should want to work for him. Surely he can get the players in here to win an ACC. Tons of young men should want to learn football from him. Surely he can manage a football program after 2 playoff yrs @ Dallas.
There is absolutely no reasonable thought that says he can't do it. Of course, he may not like the college situation & may move on, but he wanted this job & is eminently qualified to get it done. Surely he can get a grip on what it takes. He's won everywhere he's been & he can do it @ Ga Tech, also.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ace,
You left out that he is sure to be the next Bobby Dodd. Other than that, I think you about covered it.

I was going to ignore this post but the more I read of it the more it did not make sense. My thoughts:

He was the right hire at the right time.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Why? He had not coached D1 Football since 1982 at the Air Force Academy. He spent two years there as a Defensive Assistant and two years as DC. In 1983-1984 he coached Division II Troy State. He spent a whole year in 1993 as Head Coach at Samford. Neither of these last two schools recruit or compete at the level GT does. Basically he had been out of major college football for almost 18 years. Guess that does make him the right hire at the right time.

Has high character & is honorable. Well thought of all his life.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This is what we have heard about him. If this is true why doesn’t he admit his mistakes with the players he chooses to play? Why does he use some constantly that aren’t performing and others who do perform see very little playing time. Why hasn’t he ever held a coaching position for more than two years? If he changed positions on his own, what kind of loyalty does this show to the employers who put their trust in him.

Knows how to coach professional players. Knows how to win & reach playoffs & win playoff games in pros. Knows how to manage coaching staffs.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">In case you haven’t noticed GT is not in the NFL. This is only hearsay I will admit, but supposedly there is a lot of dissention on his staff. If such a good pro coach, why didn’t the pro teams keep him around for more than two years in a position? Why isn’t he still a pro head coach? Lots of openings every year in the pros and I don’t see the owners beating his door down.

Knows how to design offenses for best matchups.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Must have forgotten all this during the 2002 season. GT had one of the worst offensive schemes in recent memory.

am still feeling that he can get the hang of this college game
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I am feeling I hope you are right, just don’t know why you have this feeling.

Surely he can get the proper coaches in here, or already has them. Tons of coaches should want to work for him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Surely they do. Why?

Surely he can get the players in here to win an ACC. Tons of young men should want to learn football from him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Surely they do. Why? What did he teach this year? I did not see him at any time take a player to the side and talk to him after making a mistake or after making a good play.

Surely he can manage a football program after 2 playoff yrs @ Dallas.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Surely he can. So why didn’t Dallas keep him? Surely there is a good reason.

There is absolutely no reasonable thought that says he can't do it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Guess I don’t have reasonable thoughts. My thoughts are for players to respect their coach, to play hard for him and their school and to want to always give their best.

Of course, he may not like the college situation & may move on, but he wanted this job & is eminently qualified to get it done.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I want a job that pays me a million a year and I am not expected to produce positive results and where I can hide in my office and make no public statements on my failures. Does that make me “eminently qualified”? With his job history he will move on.

Surely he can get a grip on what it takes. He's won everywhere he's been & he can do it @ Ga Tech, also.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Surely hope he gets a grip. As a coach he has a 60% winning percentage. I guess that means he has won everywhere he went, however that will not keep you in the national spotlight for recruiting and post season play.

Will always have a job. Very high name recognition nationally.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Then there is no reason to not get rid of him.

BW-very cute, I like it.
GMC-very well thought out anti-analysis. Nice effort.
Ylojk8-I post maybe 10-1 on ST over the Hive as the replies here are mostly well thought out responses that try to add to or subtract from a post, with reasons (see BW,GMC above). Not anywhere close to as many 'pot-shots' as on the Hive.
I've posted on the Hive for 5 yrs now & have many relationships & know some personally. Every now & then I think a post may be good on the Hive & to keep a persona there. I let it just run it's course there.
There are several STers who do not read the Hive so, mostly, I get the feeling that, perhaps, they may like to see the info or knucklehead idea also. I then bring it over here without rewriting. I'm sure you noticed I didn't bring over the "It's getting very scarrry. 18-21?" thread. A coupla others that read it on the Hive brought it over (modified slightly) so there was no need of a 3rd thread on it. This happens sometimes. I also take some ST posts over to the Hive after it's run it's course here.
All GT fans need as much info as possible. Hope this makes sense to all.

BW-very cute, I like it.

Ylojk8-I post maybe 10-1 on ST over the Hive as the replies here are mostly well thought out responses that try to add to or subtract from a post, with reasons (see BW,GMC above). Not anywhere close to as many 'pot-shots' as on the Hive.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL GT Ace .. you consider the post made by Beeware in this thread as "addition or subtraction with reason"

amazing concept of "addition" and "subtraction" you have .. not to mention "reason"

GT Ace, thanks for bringing posts from the Hive to ST. I for one rarely go to the Hive. I do not like the censorship. I especially do not like the new format. With that statement about the Hive I hope that BeeStorm and gtfan do not change the current format we have here.

GMC, great post, I was going to respond but you said everything that needed to be said. I always notice that fans are saying they hope or think Gailey can be successful, when the facts say nobody knows. At the end of next year, he will be in uncharted waters as a head coach in one place(third season). Dave Braine took a chance on Gailey, he knows it, hence his letter to alumni trying to explain the debacle of our last two games. I personally think Gailey is in over his head and will never win more than seven games in a season at Tech. What I really want is for him to prove me wrong so I can get on this board and gladly eat my words.

Wrecked, I will sit at the table with you and eat with a smile.

So what happens to CG if TECH goes 0-4 at the start of 2003? I don't mine if this happen, but TECH learns something from it (Will Alexander playing ND for 10 years (1-9), TECH wins a NChamp). That is how you learn to be a better team. Will CG and TECH learn something?

Back