I just re-watched all of our 1st half offensive plays...

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Yes I am obviously a glutton for punishment. I just had to go back and watch and see if we were really that out-matched, if they out schemed us, or if we just suck at blocking. I watched it all from the skycam on watchespn so I could watch the line. For the most part, we absolutely suck at blocking. I don't see how in the world we can't block any better than this. It's like we don't know who to block, or are being taught to block the wrong people. We let so many people go free, and when we do try to make a block, it's a complete miss. Not just diving at ankles, we can just completely miss a guy. How the hell can you not hit someone head up and at least slow his path, disrupt his rhythm, or give your guys a half-second chance. I don't know all the intricacies of our plays, so my play call names are a bit vanilla, but this is my breakdown of the 1st half offense, and what we did:

1st possession:
1st & 10 - Triple option right, #42 DE is unblocked by the line, #26 Mills whiffs block on him, he is basically untouched to JT5 for a 4yd loss.
2nd & 14 - Speed option (?) left, 2 lead blockers and both leave #6 unblocked, JT5 still gets 3yd gain.
3rd & 11 - False start #70 Will Bryan
3rd & 16 - Pass, #22 Lynch whiffs a cut block on #42 DE. JT5 has room to cut back to middle if not pressured by 42, forced to throw away.

2nd possession:
1st & 10 - Pass, incomplete. Slight pressure on JT5 but running lane left-middle was open with running room.
2nd & 10 - Triple option right, trailing DE #99 unblocked, MLB beats #71 Devine's block, pitch man covered, no gain.
3rd & 10 - Pass, #94 gets through a block and gets pressure, corner blitz also coming, JT5 sacked. Would have been lots of room outside to run/elude pressure if corner blitz had not been coming. Good defensive playcall.

3rd possession:
1st & 10 - Option left, #75 misses block on #94, still 3yd gain for #34 Marshall. Cutback lane was open.
2nd & 7 - Triple option left, #56 unblocked, bad read on dive, outside appeared to be more open. #34 Marshall 1yd gain.
3rd & 6 - Pass to #1 Searcy, good pocket, receiver open, good throw, safety hits Searcy early, pass interference. Good call and 15yd penalty but would have most likely been a 21yd reception had Searcy not been hit early.
1st & 10 - Toss left, #6 pushes off two chicken wing blocks, makes tackle. 2yd gain, bad spot. Looked to be more like a 4yd gain.
2nd & 8 - Triple option left, bad read, #34 Marshall would've gotten 4-5 yd easily on the dive, pitch to #3 Willis no gain.
3rd & 8 - Screen pass to Marshall. Good playcall, defended fairly well, but Marshall should've stayed right behind his blockers instead of cutting back left across field. Would have had manageable 4th down yardage, instead only a 1yd gain.

4th possession:
1st & 10 - Counter option right, #22 Lynch looks like he should be blocking #6, #70 Bryan doesn't kick #45 DE out. Either QB keep or pitch would've been open if one of those blocks are made. QB keep for 1 yd gain.
2nd & 9 - Counter trap/off tackle left to #26 Mills. 1st time we see this play and it worked all night. 8yd gain.
3rd & 1 - Give to #26 Mills, right side, 2yd gain.
1st & 10 - Triple option right, #65 Klock releases DE, whiffs on block on LB #34 which forces early pitch, #3 Willis whiffs on block on the edge or the pitch would have been a positive gain. Loss of 4 yds.
2nd & 14 - Pass, backside OLB #6 comes in unblocked, forces JT5 to roll and throws pass for -3yds that should have been thrown OB. #2 Jeune appeared to be curling back open had JT5 had time to set his feet and throw.
3rd & 17 - Pass, back shoulder throw to #2 Jeune, well defended but could've been caught. JT5 had a mile to run and could've easily made a manageable 4th down that we would likely have gone for if he didn't get the 1st.

5th possession:
1st & 10 - Swing pass to #1 Searcy, low throw incomplete. Got lucky on this one. Appeared to be a backwards pass. Probably would've been a no gain play had Searcy caught it unless he made someone miss.
2nd & 10 - Counter/trap off tackle right. Worked again. 4 yd gain. Looked like more, another questionable spot.
3rd & 6 - Pass, #42 DE beats a block, #1 Searcy whiffs on #6, pressure on JT5, throw away incomplete.

Out of all of that, I only saw 3, maybe 4 guys actually "out physical" us or beat or blocks. Everything else was a complete miss by us, or someone we left completely unblocked.

Last edited:
Pretty much how I remember it.

Just FYI, Mills is #26, JJ Green is #28.

And FYI, whoever has watchespn access, I would suggest watching some of these plays if you can stomach it. Very different perspective than the live angles. The 1st possession where it looks like JT5 is running for his life and throws it away on 3rd down, if Lynch doesn't whiff on #42, there is a running lane for JT back to the left. There is alot of this that you can see from skycam that you can't see from the side.

So we were not "out played" we were either out coached (players not prep) Or GT players have not bought into the system???

lets all remember that "option" means that you are letting (usually) the DE go free to set up the pitch

so not blocking everyone is part of the deal, right? if you dont make the block on the edge, tho, and it get crowded in and the DE is a beast that can get to the QB before he makes a decision... well... there you have it. usually one would have to assume it was a bad read and should have been given to the BBack, but if they also have beast DL then you are in a bit in a quandary

not trying to mitigate our being absolutely dominated in the trenches, but lets remember what "option" means

So we were not "out played" we were either out coached (players not prep) Or GT players have not bought into the system..
It's hard to completely say that. I will agree, they were more physical than us. They would get off blocks EARLIER than we could, and some would beat blocks from time to time, but generally it looked to be a missed assignment or a completely missed block that would disrupt a play from the get-go.

Assuming that your characterization of the plays is accurate, here are my thoughts.

If the DE is "unblocked" on the TO, then JT is not reading him correctly. Should be a BB dive in that situation.

Too much passing, not enough dive and off-tackle stuff. When we pound the ball on the interior, we wear out defenses. Saw it in the 2nd half where we started to get some yardage off of the straight run.

lets all remember that "option" means that you are letting (usually) the DE go free to set up the pitch
so not blocking everyone is part of the deal, right?
not trying to mitigate our being absolutely dominated in the trenches, but lets remember what "option" means
Oh I understand that 90% of the time in a option offense, the DE is who you are optioning off of, but my point on most of those let-go's is that if you're letting him go, you dang sure better make the block on who you're supposed to block. Reading and optioning off the DE isn't easy when the guy that releases the DE whiffs on the OLB, and the leading A-back whiffs on the corner. I'm saying if we aren't physical enough to get downfield and block our man, we dang sure don't need to be letting any go free. Block the man in front of you and option off the OLB or something different.

So it's possible that the blocking is worse this year than last year?
From what I saw. Yes.

Assuming that your characterization of the plays is accurate, here are my thoughts.

If the DE is "unblocked" on the TO, then JT is not reading him correctly. Should be a BB dive in that situation.

Too much passing, not enough dive and off-tackle stuff. When we pound the ball on the interior, we wear out defenses. Saw it in the 2nd half where we started to get some yardage off of the straight run.

"Option" is not always a triple option. Sometimes the BB dive isn't an option.

EDIT: I see where you said TO now, but I still don't think leaving the DE unblocked is always an automatic give to the dive man.

Block the man in front of you and option off the OLB or something different.

another thing is that the rules changes on crack-back blocking by WR and A-backs have made this much more difficult in the last few years. people tend to neglect that influence, which hurts us for sure, but i sort of agree with it from a player-safety perspective

But the talent differential!

yes, they are faster, bigger and can run past the spot where the blocker expects to hit them
or they shed the block which is also a talent diff effect (along with technique)
also, they had our WR covered hard because their DBs are much better than our WRs
talent

Last edited:
Dood, this is TO fundamentals 101.

http://strongfootballcoach.com/offe...iple-option-quarterbacks-mechanics-and-reads/

If the DE penetrates the backfield, you give.
The DE is aways going to penetrate the backfield if you option off (release) him. If he goes straight to the dive man, which he did on the TO play in the 4th possession, it is a pull read. I didn't say he made the play, the guy Klock released him for to go block forced an early pitch, and the block on the corner was a whiff too. I'm saying if we can't block the guys behind who we're optioning, we just need to straight up block for a designed run.

The DE is aways going to penetrate the backfield if you option off (release) him. If he goes straight to the dive man, which he did on the TO play in the 4th possession, it is a pull read. I didn't say he made the play, the guy Klock released him for to go block forced an early pitch, and the block on the corner was a whiff too. I'm saying if we can't block the guys behind who we're optioning, we just need to straight up block for a designed run.

If the DE crashes down on our tackle, then the tackle should block him. If the DE penetrates to contain the QB, the tackle should chip him enough to slow him down, then go second level. This is not from any book necessarily but the way I have always coached OL for running plays.

It really doesn't get any easier or more fundamental than that.

What I have seen us have problems with is not the DE but rather the OLB. We end up with 3 guys in our backfield (DE / OLB / CB) and we have a numbers mismatch. We are having trouble with the assignments because of this.

But I truly believe that JT is not good at reading during the mesh. As a result, we don't run the TO as much as probably CPJ would like.

If the DE crashes down on our tackle, then the tackle should block him. If the DE penetrates to contain the QB, the tackle should chip him enough to slow him down, then go second level. This is not from any book necessarily but the way I have always coached OL for running plays.

It really doesn't get any easier or more fundamental than that.

What I have seen us have problems with is not the DE but rather the OLB. We end up with 3 guys in our backfield (DE / OLB / CB) and we have a numbers mismatch. We are having trouble with the assignments because of this.

But I truly believe that JT is not good at reading during the mesh. As a result, we don't run the TO as much as probably CPJ would like.

Agree with all but the last sentence. I think we run the TO too much. We suck at it right now and defenses are over playing it.

Agree with all but the last sentence. I think we run the TO too much. We suck at it right now and defenses are over playing it.

Well yeah, that's really what I meant. That CPJ would want to run it more, but we don't execute it well.

Before the season there was a thread about the best players to run the CPJ system. I suggested that a pure TO guy like Jaybo might've been better suited for the offense and of course got crucified. JT is a great athlete, playmaker and all around warrior. But he has some issues in running the TO. We've had some other guys come through the system that always had a knack at generating positive yards through correct reads.

Back