I want to see us rotate more players in the game!

buzzy bee

Varsity Lurker
Where were Woods, Ace (ankle?), Bilbo, Dunlap, Cooper, Matthews, Anyansi, Billy, Oliver and Hall last Thursday? I know we have less depth than others..which makes this even more important. I know Richt gets alot of credit for different coaching stategies, etc. One that gets lost is his habit of continually rotating players in games to 1. keep them fresh 2. makes players feel like they are contributing members to the team.

Chan seems to have the NFL philosophy of playing the same 30 guys the whole game.

Comments?

buzzy,

You make a very good point and ask a very good question.

I was shocked and amazed on how few players we played and caliber of some of the players that did not get in for a single snap....even though we were playing way above sea level and, especially our defense, looked to be out of gas by the 4th quarter.

i thought everyone played that could have on d(granted, my memory of the game if fuzzy due to a few too many b4 the late kickoff).

and on o, if we only had the ball 20 minutes, why not keep the best guys in if they arnt tired.

er, that is, maybe sit the fumblers.

Chan said in the Review of GT show it would be tailback by committee. I say PJ Daniels vs. BYU.
I also saw Ball passing to J. Smith and no other WR - what happened to Thomas, Logan, Bilbo, McGuire, Curry?

How about changing up the QB in certain situations? If Reggie were given limited offensive plays - one's that kept him in control for a freshmen, why not bring Bilbo (yes, Bilbo) in for a couple of plays like last season (love that 76 yd bomb against Wake). Why not try everything in your power to score some points.

Use everyone that brings something to the table. Give everyone a chance to contribute, what the heck is there to lose? WE are the underdogs - do something to make some positive things happen!
Suggs may be able to contribute as well in certain instances.

little joe did the same thing with harvey iirc when he was young.

besides, i dont think reggie has an earpiece with chan yelling "toss it to j smith!"

if bilbo bounced passes(which, he did on that 4th down conv against fsu west) as much as i heard in practice, then i saw leave him at wr.

one minute, its "give reggie more plays", the next its, "bring bilbo in", the 2 play qb(qb draw or int)...

Billy & Brez need to play at least every 3rd series and Henderson has to get a few breaks to be effective at all in the 4th. THWG

Limiting our offense because of a true freshmen is Chan's call. He chose to start a true freshmen. If the limitation situation is because of that, then I say change it. Be creative and try to get others involved with whatever positive plays THEY CAN make and contribute to this offense.

We are going to be the underdog in most of our games this season. Everyone seems to be saying at most 4 wins - this is the time to test the waters and get those creative juicies flowing.

If staying the conservative course gets you 2-4 wins - give this team a shot at producing on offense via grabbing hold of some other opportunities that might be staring you in the face.

I really don't care who's at QB, just give GT a chance to make plays and move down the field - use Bilbo, Suggs, Ball, Carter and anyone else that will help this team prosper! Projections based on running a conservative offense is not much production (BYU no offensive tds), why not surprise a few folks.

i thought they did move down the field until they put the ball on the turf.

You can't stay conservative against the POWERHOUSES. BYU was a weak/inferior team and we still lost.

I would like to see more guys play we well, but we have to have some time of possession to be able to use more players on offense. I wonder if the reason we saw so few substitutions is because we were trying to get some rythym established? I would hope that Woods gets some carries to see if his speed opens things up. We should be playing a lot of receivers IMO, as good as JS can be he didn't really light anybody up either.

I would hope we NEVER fool with our QB rotation just to shake things up. Bilbo is a WR, he needs to play there. If Ball gets shaken up or needs a break then use Suggs or Carter.

On D we need to rotate as much as we can to keep people fresh.

Wonder is this is the old O'Leary thing? You know, the HC wants more guys to play but the position coaches want the "best" guy on the field at all times. Chan needs to work that out with his staff like George did with his. FWIW the same comments are coming out of Chapel Hill this week. The HC wants more guys to play.

Originally posted by spellingbee:
originally posted by MsTech
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"> this is the time to test the waters and get those creative juicies flowing.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">With all due respect to your opinion, this is not a crapshoot. Contrary to your perception, CCG does not have the perception that "all is lost, throw the season to the wind and see where it may land."</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">\

Well he sure didn't look or sound very positive last night. He made one comment, "we are not SC's defense nor do we have what they have ... we need to fill the gaps" - he looked concerned and I felt his concern. He may not being throwing in the towel but he knows what he's up against this season.

Get creative coach - you know what you're embarking on - get some kids in certain situations that might help you WIN A GAME THAT NO ONE gives us a chance at. If indeed this is REBUILDING that awful word, best time to try to win a few here and there that your not expected to. That's what I'm asking!

We have many freshmen out there this season and it not because they were all the best at their positions. They are out there because of lack of numbers. They have already been put in a precarious position - you must build off of them. Make something happen ... just don't fill the open positions because you don't have bodies!

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
You can't stay conservative against the POWERHOUSES. BYU was a weak/inferior team and we still lost.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm humored with all of the references to BYU being a weak and inferior team. They outplayed us and squarely beat us, even with the refs helping us out. True, we beat them last year, but it took a come from behind win and it was BYU's worst season in 30 years.

I really think we need to give them their dues. Now I'm not saying that they're FSU or Ohio State, but they're not an "inferior" team. Their coach is a class act and their program is a big time program and has been making all the changes to remain competitive.

I've said this before, but a strong BYU season will make us look better. We could have won last week's game, but we can only learn and move forward. Hopefully the coaches picked up on a few things USC did to shut down Auburn. I'm predicting:
GTech 17
Auburn 10

Sting man, I like your prediction and would be eccstatic if it comes true...but...realistically I can't see Auburn leaving BDS 0-2...
Win or Lose I'll support the Jackets!!!!

Someone mentioned that they felt we rotated all the defenders in that we could. We did rotate some guys in the secondary and I believe that Brezilla came in for a couple of plays. I'm not sure we really have anyone else on the DL to play (though I do seem to remember some posts about all our outstanding freshman DLs during camp). But, I was surprised that we didn't put some reserve linebackers in for a couple of plays. P. Newman is the only linebacker I see listed as a participant and my hunch is that he played special teams. I'm assuming our current reserves will be next year's linebackers and need some playing time.

Gailey's strategy may be to focus on winning every down against weaker opponents and letting reserves play for developmental purposes later in some of the games that are likely to be lost early in the contest.

Good post Kirbee.

We really did play a lot of new people already. Maybe Chan is hesitant to have a whole group at a time in the experiment phase. We can only have a few new guys on the field at once, and every single time an opposing coach sees one - they will be tested.

One big play can a change a game. That being said - you guys had some good examples of guys who aren't all exactly new.

Chan would have to play more players this game and would also have to open up the play book. If he doesn't, even I might question him more.

I'm looking forward to it.

kirbee, good post. As for execution of plays, it takes all u listed AND not being winded...ala playing your 2 deep, especially the DL. Billy and Brez should be able to provide some quality relief. THWG

There were a lot of bodies in the game. P.J. actually played a pretty good game. Why take him out? Just to substitute? Not a good strategy.

Anoia, Scott, Gaston, Wheeler, Brezina, Wrotto, Leon, Xavier, Logan, Davis, etc., all saw the field.

I agree with wggjacket. The Jackets did move the ball well at times, until putting it on the ground. The chances were there to beat BYU all through the game. Maybe some changes here and there in play calling would've helped. Settling for field goals instead of touchdowns and giving up the ball on turnovers will certainly lead to more losses than wins. The Defense looked really winded, too. Esp. by the 4th qtr. What about all the "underneath" passes on 3rd and 4th downs. How about making some changes throughout the game on defensive schemes to handle those? These were what kept the Defense on the field so long throughout the game.
In retrospect, the coaching for this game wasn't all that bad, but in some situations could've been better, or at least different.
That one's over. Maybe somethings were learned from this loss. Let's turn our heads to AU this week. GO JACKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back