I was entertained........

AWB

Varsity Lurker
What did FSU fans think after pulling one out in the waning moments against Georgia Tech?...... And how about the Tennesse Fans when they finally found the end zone, and squeaked out a win against South Carolina? And the Florida Crocodiles found life after death in the second half to overcome a 21 point deficit and defeat Kentucky 34-31 - how do those Gators feel this morning? Or Arkansas after erasing a very big gap and reversing the score in front of the fans in Tuscaloosa?

For the sake of history, College Football, especially Georgia Tech football, has always provided Topsy Turvy results from one week to the next, because of the fact that 18, 19, and 20 year old kids are on the field - and there is no way to predict what they are going to do on any given weekend, even under the best of circumstances.

Ask the Oregon Ducks how they feel today after having their feathers handed to them by Washington State. Or Auburn when we waxed their butts on Grant Field a couple of weeks ago.

Are our guys young? - You bet they are. Are they out of focus from one quarter to the next? - At times they are, and only maturity will cure that syndrome. Last night we saw a lackluster performance until the very last minutes of the entire contest, when Reggie Ball suddenly became "a full grown man" and lit up the score board and the whole team - everybody, even a hand full of half-dead Tech Alumni seated in the Vandy Stadium, came to life. Hoorah, and we can't wait to see what happens next week, and the week after that, and bring on those Damn Dawgs - we will accept the results.

I was entertained, how 'bout you? Years ago, watching Army tie Georgia Tech, 16-16, was no thrill for a kid with a Rat Hat sitting in the stands. We had a great team and Army sucked, but that's what happened - and the field goal call for Tech was even questionable at that. Didn't Furman beat us one year, and Memphis State, and we all saw Fresno State take a chunk out our back side. But I still follow the games. Afterall, it's up to the kids on the field whether they want to win the game or not. And sometimes, coaches can't control that drive inside a young man.

And last night, we found out that those kids believe winning is a Hell of a lot more fun than losing. They are growing up, and we are watching it happen. And patience is good for our football program, and for those young men that entertained us last night. I'll have to admit, "The Scotch and water made watching that game a lot easier - I'm a Ramblin' Gamblin' Hell of an Engineer! Hey!!!"

Ditto about the Ducks. Where are all the Duck Fans ready to run out their coach because things went downhill for a game? I guess they have their "Duckware" and "Duckugly"'s posting on their board too.

The fact of the matter is that things can go from bad to worse in a hurry. HOW could UNC dismantel FSU just a short 3 seasons ago by 30+ points! How did UVA feel after being leveled in the 4th quarter in SC. Point spread in a loss for a rebuilding team isnt the issue. What we need to look for is progress in our quarterback and secondary...this will let us know how the coaching is really doing verses some point spread differencial.
pat.gif

Back