I watched the Vandy replay last night

jacketup

Damn Good Rat
Originally posted by AlaGold:
This was a 0-3 (with 1 win over a 1-aa team)Vandy team that got destroyed by a TCU team the week before using their 2nd unit QB and TB!

Vandy played #17 TCU even for a half--and on the road. TCU pulled away in the second half. TCU has depth. Vandy doesn't. Guess who else doesn't.

Young teams don't realize that you have to put your thumb on the back of any team you get ahead of.

Last year we had veterans and we knew better than to let our lead slide. This year we had bunch of younger guys who were happy with a 10-0 lead and let it slide.

The game was not a good one, but I did at least see a few pearls to be built upon.

I do realize I'm looking through gold-colored glasses, but we had a lead, as we should have, we got overconfident and didn't do anything about it until they gained confidence. That's what happened.

A veteran team with the same talent - this team next year - realizes that any team can get on top you at any point, and that a 10-0 lead is not crap.

We stunk it up, but we learned something.

Bobby Johnson is a big-time coach at a coach killing school. He can coach. If you don't think so, you don't know his history. I'd love to have him here.

By the way - trivia question - per Max and Perry - Which SEC school has more active D-Linemen and Linebackers in the NFL? Vandy. Hard to believe, but true as of last year, according to Max and Perry.

Vandy will get better - How much better, I won't speculate. They do have a great coach though, and talent at spots.

If you think the last pass Cutler threw was bad defense, you are wrong. Those guys executed at times. That last play, in particular, is a play any team would be proud of against any defense.

We stunk it up, and they are Vandy, but they did earn SOME of their plays, and we did do SOME things right. We have some things to build on.

D-Bo is a HUGE WR. I hope he gets good, but he is a giant next a DB.

Reggie and J Smith and the others were not even smiling when they sat down after the tying TD. The celebration was over after they ran on the field because they knew they souldn't have been in that position.

The two-minute offense was very fluid, even if it was against Vandy.

Somebody must have had a word with X-Mac. He loked like a real reciever. One that could grow into a big play guy later.

J Smith should not be our stretch the field reciever - he's not fast enough. As Bilbo (don't know how fast) and X-Mac mature, along with Curry and Thomas (if Thomas ever learns to catch), we can stretch the field more. That will leave the biggest playmaker (JS) closest to the QB, available for a higher percentage of completions and yards after the catch.

Right now we are sending JS long too often. He shouldn't be that guy. Any track star can go long. We need JS making routes and reads. If the WR's keep growing as they have, we have better chances THIS SEASON.

PJ makes his blocks and gets open right after almost every play. Reggie will begin to see him.

How unselfish is Jimmy Dixon? He just keeps on blocking. He is fast becoming one of my favorite players.

We had WR's making blocks downfield, a lot.

If our OL will just FINISH the good blocks they start, and we get one more man (Brezina healthy)to penetrate on DL, and our WR's continue to mature - we change the outcomes of future games.

These things are already happening more.

And Kenny Scott finally looks committed to catching returnable balls instead of getting alligator arms. He's already making tackles on ST.

Hall and Anoi got experience and played ok at LB and DE.

We aren't superbowl champs, but we are growing in the right direction.

The biggest thing is that, I doubt this team relaxes again next time they have a lead.

That's the biggest problem we had.

We need some patience, guys. We have a young team. I want those kids to tell their friends still in HS and others being recruited about how they are treated like Gods, not how they hate to read what we say on Stingtalk and The Hive.

techfowl, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on this board.

i loved the one catch XMac made. heard the commentators mention that that was a timing curl. 3 step drop, pitch by Ball and crisp route and curl by XMac and as soon as he turns the ball's in the air.

XMac goes up and gets it .. he's being defended man to man .. but only XMac has the chance to make that catch, the DB has no shot.

if XMac makes the catch and the DB tackles him, it's a nice 6-8 yard gain. but i loved how XMac fought the tackle and got the 1st down.

That's the first time I've seen XMac get physical. good job!

the way I see it, Vandy's starting
22 are younger than GT's starting

So I guess that means next year they
will be more of a veteran team than
GT.......Huh?

Originally posted by ylojk8:
techfowl, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on this board.

i loved the one catch XMac made. heard the commentators mention that that was a timing curl. 3 step drop, pitch by Ball and crisp route and curl by XMac and as soon as he turns the ball's in the air.

XMac goes up and gets it .. he's being defended man to man .. but only XMac has the chance to make that catch, the DB has no shot.

if XMac makes the catch and the DB tackles him, it's a nice 6-8 yard gain. but i loved how XMac fought the tackle and got the 1st down.

That's the first time I've seen XMac get physical. good job!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You would learned more about this offense if you had listened to Kim King on the radio. When Wes Durham noted in the second half that Tech had past the 20 minute mark without a first down Kim King's voice echoed the disgust of Coleman Rudolph's. Make no mistake! Without using the inflammatory language of Coleman his disgust in Chan Gailey's offense was very evident indeed. Oh hell why am I even wasting my time with you. You would blast Kim King...Randy Rhino...Lucious Sanford...anyone of the former Tech greats that may or maynot agree with you and the other members of your Chan Gang.

Stateline,

I would like to see improvement in many aspects of our offense as well.

We have some things to build on, and it's time to dance with the one that brung you.

"Debating" is arguing your point, while showing respect for your antagonizer. "Arguing" is when your pride gets in the way.

Please just argue the point, not the person.

OldGoldBee,

As to the point of Vandy's age - there is a big difference between a great young athlete who plays at Cornerback or WR and just hasn't played enough ball to get the college game vs. an athlete at another position who doesn't have as much talent in the first place.

Look at FSU this year vs. last year. Same guys.

We aren't FSU, but we do have better athletes than Vandy. Our corners, safeties, QB, Grant at RB for next year, WR's (young and new) - we will see improvement every game.

UGA's team last year (51-7) had 80% of the same guys we stomped the pee out of two years before.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:

You would learned more about this offense if you had listened to Kim King on the radio. When Wes Durham noted in the second half that Tech had past the 20 minute mark without a first down Kim King's voice echoed the disgust of Coleman Rudolph's. Make no mistake! Without using the inflammatory language of Coleman his disgust in Chan Gailey's offense was very evident indeed. Oh hell why am I even wasting my time with you. You would blast Kim King...Randy Rhino...Lucious Sanford...anyone of the former Tech greats that may or maynot agree with you and the other members of your Chan Gang.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL .. i was disgusted with the offense as well.

i was disgusted when our 1st downs were being denied to us due to procedural penalties. i was disgusted when we couldn't convert 3rd and short.

i was disgusted when we got the ball twice off of turnovers in Vandy's side and got ZERO points. first time we went for 4th and 6 on a crazy draw play. the 2nd time Bilbo is open but Ball throws an interception to a quickly closing linebacker.

i was disgusted, i'm sure Kim was disgusted. hell i'm sure Gailey was disgusted.

what's your point statelinejacket?

what's the difference between your disgust and my disgust statelinejacket?

my disgust doesn't make me come here and make a post stating that Bilbo should start at QB and Ball should be benched. my disgust doesn't make me want to "evaluate" our entire coaching staff on the offense and suggest that they attend coaching clinics at high schools.

your disgust makes you disgusting.

that's the difference statelinejacket.

if you still want Bilbo at QB after seeing Ball at QB and Bilbo at WR .. you have no right telling other people that they have no understanding of football.

well you lost that right back when you compared the first start of a true freshman quarterback in the first game of his true freshman season with a sophomore who had playing time in his freshman season.

LOL

Stateline, what point are you trying to make? Are you upset and mad that some of our fans are finding things to praise about the team? Shouldn't fans try to be loyal to the coach and team and want both to win, and then be glad when we win?

Who really cares what Coleman Rudolph or Kim King says? Does it really make any difference? They have their opinion just like anyone else. Just because they were football jocks at Tech does not mean others don't see the same things.

Should you dwell on the negative or should you dwell on the positive. All we need to do is pull for the team and hope it wins the rest of its games. If it does not win the next game, then we will root for them to win the one after that.

Gailey will be coaching until the end of the year, so you might as well sit back and try to enjoy the games. You are not going to change anything at present.

You seem desperate because some of the fans are trying to enjoy the games. Exactly what do you expect to gain from the incessant negative display about every game?

Father Time

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:

You would learned more about this offense if you had listened to Kim King on the radio. When Wes Durham noted in the second half that Tech had past the 20 minute mark without a first down Kim King's voice echoed the disgust of Coleman Rudolph's. Make no mistake! Without using the inflammatory language of Coleman his disgust in Chan Gailey's offense was very evident indeed. Oh hell why am I even wasting my time with you. You would blast Kim King...Randy Rhino...Lucious Sanford...anyone of the former Tech greats that may or maynot agree with you and the other members of your Chan Gang.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL .. i was disgusted with the offense as well.

i was disgusted when our 1st downs were being denied to us due to procedural penalties. i was disgusted when we couldn't convert 3rd and short.

i was disgusted when we got the ball twice off of turnovers in Vandy's side and got ZERO points. first time we went for 4th and 6 on a crazy draw play. the 2nd time Bilbo is open but Ball throws an interception to a quickly closing linebacker.

i was disgusted, i'm sure Kim was disgusted. hell i'm sure Gailey was disgusted.

what's your point statelinejacket?

what's the difference between your disgust and my disgust statelinejacket?

my disgust doesn't make me come here and make a post stating that Bilbo should start at QB and Ball should be benched. my disgust doesn't make me want to "evaluate" our entire coaching staff on the offense and suggest that they attend coaching clinics at high schools.

your disgust makes you disgusting.

that's the difference statelinejacket.

if you still want Bilbo at QB after seeing Ball at QB and Bilbo at WR .. you have no right telling other people that they have no understanding of football.

well you lost that right back when you compared the first start of a true freshman quarterback in the first game of his true freshman season with a sophomore who had playing time in his freshman season.

LOL
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Your wrong...as usual but whose counting. My disgust was duly noted when this wishy-washy offensive setup was announced in feburary. But I played the wait and see game. I have waited and I have seen and for ANYONE to believe we turned a corner after 58 minutes of wasted opportunities saturday night against Vanderbilt....is delusional or knows not one DAMN thing about football....or both! But at least I am willing to shift gears and try something else rather than be hardheaded. Damarius Bilbo deserves a chance to return to quarterback....I have no doubt at all that Tech's offense would have been sooooo much better off. Hell right now I am not sure we would'nt be better off with AJ Suggs in there. We have stunk it up that bad. I don't care how many passes Bilbo threw in the ground during fall camp. He is much better than what we have seen at quarterback so far. Instead of jerking him out of the position...simply working on his fundementals could have solved that problem. But no...Chan Gailey took Bilbo out of the equation way to damn early...and it is showing. You, ylojk8 and your like continue to amaze me. But WTF do I know about football...MORE THAN YOUR DUMBASS WILL EVER DREAM OF!

Originally posted by statelinejacket:

But at least I am willing to shift gears and try something else rather than be hardheaded.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">statelinejacket, are you trying to tell the good fellows of stingtalk that you are not hardheaded?

ummm ok

One of the problems I saw with the game against Vandy is that Ball does not look as good now as he did in the 1st few games. I wanted to see a Tech team that got better as the year progressed, but no I'm seeing a team that looks more dijointed than at the beginning of the year. I will be in Atl saturday for the game but sure not looking forward to what will happen. I hope and pray Tech comes out with fire in the belly and lays a good but- kicking on NCSt.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
One of the problems I saw with the game against Vandy is that Ball does not look as good now as he did in the 1st few games. I wanted to see a Tech team that got better as the year progressed, but no I'm seeing a team that looks more dijointed than at the beginning of the year. I will be in Atl saturday for the game but sure not looking forward to what will happen. I hope and pray Tech comes out with fire in the belly and lays a good but- kicking on NCSt.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ACtually a little regression is to be expected for most young and talented QBs at this level. You are reaching the point in the season where practice time isn't spent on your mechanics and fundamentals. Most time is spent on film review and game preparation.

To start the year we simply had a talented QB who had all of his fundamentals and mechanics honed during pre-season camp. Through repetitive drills he had "muscle memory", and his mechanics were sound.

Now we have a QB that has had to adjust to the speed of the game, the pressure, and the enormous mental aspect of the roller coaster rides we have had so far this year. It is not uncommon to see a young QBs mechanic's slip in these situations. The good thing is that they can easily be corrected through basic drills and practicing on fundamentals.

Reggie is just adjusting to the game like most QBs have done in the same situation. Sure, you can name incrediblly talented QBs that made the transition without too much regression. That kind of young QB isn't common though.

Joe Hamilton had to sit his Freshman year and take a step back before he got better. Give Reggie time to relearn his fundamentals and he will be fine.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oldfoggy, I am with you all the way on this one. I have a few thoughts to add:
1. The team we saw the second half of the FSU game was "dead-tired". Ball had been sujected to cruel and unusual punishment by the FSUers as had some of the others. By the end of the third quarter, it tooks maga guts by Ball to lift his arm to pass, and he had been so beseiged by the opposing freshness of the other team that even his decision making was affected. This time last year he was playing 18 and under kids. Now this same kid stepped up and has faced men sometimes 6 more years ahead in physical maturity, and three-four in experience. I am truly proud of this young man. He seems to have the attitude of Joe H. and a bit also of S. Jones and then his own attittude-prowess: in my estimation, we are mighty blessed to have him, and have a great opportunity to support him and see him become one of the greatest. Also, he has been mentioned at least one time that we know of as a deciding factor with one of our new verbals.
I am not a stats type person, but I have been told for at least 10 years that teams that play FSU, play badly the following week at least 75% of the time. Also, that even the following week, they are somewhat affected still.
I know that you are the quinesenetial (sp.) "Tech Man"; I along with you will be there, the Lord willing, looking for a grand upset and pleasant surprises in our playing of this game. But win or lose, we will both be for our team, our guys, and support them.
By the way, was that you on YJA following the team with the big Tech Flag? We have been trying to link for about 3 yrs. If I knew/know that to be you, I will run along side of you (especially if you tell me where to get one of those flags. Whoever it was: there ought to be about 15-20 OF(s) just like him with the same exhuberance and spirit. The Young folks do not seem to want to take the lead at YJA=== maybe about 25 of us 55 and older can put a spark in that parade; hoisting our flags high and running some 30 feet, before sitting down and resting....
smile.gif

Stateline you crack me up. If Bilbo had started at QB this year we would be 0 and 5. Take from someone who has seen numerous practices in the spring and summer

and the game was -surprise-as bad as reported.
I am greatly distressed by the level of play in general.The offense was pathetic and the def was uninspired as were the Sp teams. After seeing the Awbern and fsu games I can't believe that this is the same team.This "win" ranks right there with Duke last yr in a stunning dive in success.This was a 0-3 (with 1 win over a 1-aa team)Vandy team that got destroyed by a TCU team the week before using their 2nd unit QB and TB!also,btw-Vandy actually beat us statistically if you didn't notice.
I can't help but wonder as I watch our offense STRUGGLE to get 300 yds and 17 pts(in regulation) against VANDERBILT,if the naysayers are right.CG ain't getting it done.The line isn't blocking at times,the backs are erratic in running,Ball looked like a FR QB most of the nite and could have used a break like in the Clem game,the WRs can't get open,the play calling is suspect, and the execution is indifferent.That's how you get a 112 ranked offense.CG is clearly to blame here.HE put in this weird 2 coach offense and calls the plays.Getting 17 pts a game IS NOT GOING TO DO IT!.
Given he is conservative and depends on his defense but I got news for him.-the Defense is not good or deep enough to hold all game much less all season.Is he the only one that doesn't see this?
Last but not least-is it going to get any better next yr? (yes,I see the 4-8 this yr clearly now)Can you imagine this team without Fred Smith on Offense and the heart/soul of the Def ,the SR LBs,on Defense.
I've desperately wanted to think CG could turn this ship but if all we can look forward to are Vandy "victories" and Clempsum debacles ,then we are in sad shape.

AG...........sir, you are correct!

It's very depressing watching our
team this year. One would hope that
the offense would get eventually get
better, but I just don't see that
happening!

It's a sad day on the Flats, when a
win over Vanderbilt, the doormat of the
S.E.C. is a big deal!

Alagold and Oldgoldbee:

Couldn't have said it better myself! My, how expectations have fallen and excuses have risen for Tech's football team and coaching staff!

I saw the replay too and Reggie apparently couldn't hit the broad side of a barn until the last drive. I guess Chan should have been less conservative and called more pass plays so Reggie could throw more interceptions/incompletions. The running game was the only thing that worked.

Back