I wonder what this weekend will bring . . .

yellowjacket

Varsity Lurker
I, too hope we get some good news but I do not have a lot of confidence. I believe we will get about 17-18 signees and they for the most part will be middle of the road players. Fortunately the 3 qb's are at least highly regarded as is the rb who has committed. I suspect the class will rank just above Duke and Wake in the eyes of the recruiting services. Since Gailey has shown no ability to "coach up" our players I think that bodes bad for the future of the program. I hope not but I just cannot generate any enthusiasm for the future of GT FB.

I have a hard time watching the roundballers too...I expected them to be better than shown so far. Today was not good! All of the next games(both home and away) are more winnable than playing Marylabnd, Wake and duke on the road. Time for a turnaround is now if it is gonna happen
I still have a lot of faith in Hewitt though; much more so than in CCG.

Jerry, alot of us stopped holding our breath. I've been through the whole thing. I was at several of the first spring practices and wondered about what I was watching, but attributed it to new staff, etc. I also figured this guy's style was different from GOL's so it would take getting used to.

Despite some questions I figured we had those kinks worked out vs. Vandy and UConn and beating BYU I thought this might work out after all.

Then came Clemson. We came out in the nickel, suffered from some questionable play calling and then called timeout for Bowden to go up on us at halftime. For two years in a row it was thanks for the gift from that bunch - very, very beatable.

I wont go into a game by game by suffice to say the frustration level was built week by week. Personnel decisions were bewidering and offensive play selection was a disaster. The second half of the Maryland game reminded me of the early 90's, a complete shutdown.

The Georgia game sealed it for me. What a pathetic lack of preparation or spirit vs. our arch-rival. How could this happen?

But, in sports it happens. But as you note, we got the bunker treatment . Thats right, rather than at least mumble something about an apolgoy to the fans or we need to get to work to insure this never happens again as you hear most coaches say week after week to rally the base, we got nothing.

That, my friends, was topped off by that embarassing showing vs. Fresno.

This program seeks to outdo itself on lows vs. highs as time goes on.

To accentuate the lack of respect for the fan base, we essentially get blown off.

Braine obviously does not care, or he would dictate that part of the job requirement for the million bucks is to give some information out once in awhile.

Braine also realizes some pressure is off on the ticket sales because the visiting contingent this year will buy up the extra seats, thereby providing cover for the downslide. Ga, Auburn, Clemson, and State will travel well and will appreciate the extra seats.

I agree that you cannot count on recruiting services ratings but they also cannot be totally discounted either. This class is toward the bottom of the conference. When the coach doesn't demonstrate enthusiasm, take advantage the Atlanta media center or generally demonstrate a buildup of confidence, naturally this carrys over to recruiting. If we have questions, what do you think the public at large is thinking?

The real question is what are the expectations for this program? That is the debate we must settle first. The second debate about who should lead toward those goals should follow. Timing should not be a question. Gailey was hired to win immediately, not have to "rebuild" which is apparantly his tack now that he squandered the first year.

Regardless of the record, the man needs to act as though he is the head coach and quit hiding.

Gee Father Wasp, I make my post and all of the sudden we get a letter from Dave Braine. I know it's just a coincidence but I am happy to see something coming from the GTAA regarding football.

I would have felt more encoraged by some sort of communications from Coach Gailey. This letter is akin to someone speaking on his behalf. I don't get why he has taken an oath of silence.

In any event, at least we have a pulse at last.

Go Jackets!

. . . Super Bowl weekend. It's one I have always looked forward to and enjoyed. I will be pulling for Oakland due to my old time allegiance to the AFL. I can hardly believe this is the 37th Super Bowl. I have seen every one of them, the growth and importance of this event is amazing and speaks to the passion our country has for the great sport of football.

The Jackets tip it off now. I just can't get excited about basketball. Partially because Tech has been mediocre for so long and partially because it just doesn't light me up like football does. I have really enjoyed the past several years of Tech football except for the later part of this season. I am real concerned about the direction of our program and hope we have some positive developments forthcoming. Here is what I would like to see:

1) close out recruiting strong with at least 23 commitments. Some bigger name recruits like Taylor, Scott and Phillips would make me feel better about our class.

2) some information from Coach Gailey about the state of the program. Some of his offseason priorities and expectations for spring practice and the off season.

3) focus on strength and conditioning, discipline and competition for playing time in the off season.

I sense a lot of fans are kind of holding their breath hoping for some sign of a positive turn for the football program. I think this is one reason for a lack of posting on the message boards. You can only express your concerns, your hopes and your support so many times and then you need something to stimulate further action. I think the fact we are not getting much information from the program has resulted in lack of activity among the fanbase. I would like to see some stimulation from someone associated with the football program.

I know many believe that no news is good news, but I think you have to keep peoples interest especially when a negative tone is present. It's a lot like football, when you are down you have to attack. If you continue to play read and react you usually settle for what your opponent dictates. This is what concerns me more than any other aspect of Coach Gailey's performance. I would like to see him on the offensive, attacking our problems and providing leadership not only for the team but for the program which includes the fanbase.

Will this be our winter of discontent? I'm afraid it might if Coach Gailey does not show more involvement and spark some positive vision for his tenure.

Go Jackets!

Agree with you my friend. We should have all received a letter 24 hrs. after the Georgia game. We will see if there is a pulse in spring training. Last year I saw none.

Well it is Sunday morning. The basketball team turned in another mediocre performance. I watched bits and pieces but just can not muster up enough interest to devote 2 and half hours watching what appears to be a continuing replay of the same movie.

Dave Braine sends out a letter to the fan base (not sure which database was used to generate the mailing list, apparently I am not on the one used or the check's in the mail). He acknowledges the natives are restless and says we will be OK with Coach Gailey for he has Dr. Clough and DB's full support. I guess that makes me feel better. At least we have finally heard something.

No recruiting annoucements yet. One visit this weekend from another sleeper out of Mays HS and mention in the Macon paper that we are still in the hunt for Robert Reese, Jai Miller, Matt Robinson and Kenny Scott. Also noticed the Insiders has information posted on our site about Wille Pope and Kevin Burke. Just kind of fishing around to see where the balance of the class might come from. Lot's of nibbles but no bites as of yet.

Getting ready for the big bowl game and hoping for some good recruiting news as the weekend moves on.

Go Jackets!

FatherWASP, your first response to JtJ nailed it on the head. We need to decide what our expectations are. Mine are to first, beat ugag. Second, I believe the mediocre acc will work itself out after that. To those who say win the acc first and you auto. go to BCS bowl, well yeah, but what happens if you win acc and lose to ugag? Ain't no Fiesta bowl. The highs and lows we take are just unbeelievable. Our big wins are just barely won, our big loses are embarassments. It ain't right, and the AA best wake up before we face a decade rebuilding project with fewer supporters.

Well I see by the updates on Insiders that Matt Robinson has committed to Wake and Robert Reese has committed to Clemson so we can take those names off of our board. DBO also is reporting that Jai Miller is definitely not coming to Tech. So 3 of the 4 mentioned in the Macon Telegraph article this AM have not panned out.

Maybe Scott dropping FSU is a good sign for Tech. Still have to best UF and UT.

Go Jackets!

Well we lost the basketball game, the Raiders got their butt kicked, we did not secure any new football commitments but we did get a letter from Dave Braine that at least acknowledged the concern for recent performance of the Football team on the field.

So all in all I could say it was not that great a weekend except that I did have a great Super Bowl party tonight, my wife fixed a great meal and we enjoyed the fellowship of several friends. How about that Celine Dione's version of God Bless America. Pretty damn strong for a Canadian. Sent chills up and down my spine. I love the USA. We also went to see "About Schmidt" last night and enjoyed that. Life is good and Tech football will be good again one day.

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by Jerry the Jacket:
Well we lost the basketball game, the Raiders got their butt kicked, we did not secure any new football commitments but we did get a letter from Dave Braine that at least acknowledged the concern for recent performance of the Football team on the field.

So all in all I could say it was not that great a weekend except that I did have a great Super Bowl party tonight, my wife fixed a great meal and we enjoyed the fellowship of several friends. How about that Celine Dione's version of God Bless America. Pretty damn strong for a Canadian. Sent chills up and down my spine. I love the USA. We also went to see "About Schmidt" last night and enjoyed that. Life is good and Tech football will be good again one day.

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Jtj,
Too bad about the Raiders (actually the only reason I say that is I bet on the Bucs).
grin.gif

I agree with you that Celine did a great job and I am still laughing "About Schmidt" even though I saw it a couple of weeks ago. If I had heard Jack Nicholson say "Dear Ndugu" one more time, I think I would have hit the floor laughing. Those letters were a riot.

One question for you. You saw the ugag game disaster, after CG had acknowledged that he started getting ready for that game the previous February. If Tampa Bay's Gruden had been given Tech's team for two weeks, not for a year but only for two weeks, do you think he would have done better than 51-7?

I do. Way better.

Celine who? Face it, the highlight(s) of the evening was Shania Twain.

Originally posted by Wrecked:
Celine who? Face it, the highlight(s) of the evening was Shania Twain.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">wrecked,
You should have seen Kathy Bates in About Schmidt. If you haven't seen her, you wouldn't believe it....right JtJ??
wink.gif

Beeware, yes to both your questions. Gruden is a firey, kick your butt type of coach whose love of the game exudes from every pore. He is the kind of coach any program would love to have.
grin.gif

Kathy Bates, in one word, stunning!!!!!
wink.gif
She certainly took my breath away entering the old hot tub. I could tell she stirred something in Jack Nicholson as well.
pat.gif

Maybe we should write Ndaugu about our football program? Sometimes it helps just to get things off your chest.

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by beeware:
[QB

One question for you. You saw the ugag game disaster, after CG had acknowledged that he started getting ready for that game the previous February. If Tampa Bay's Gruden had been given Tech's team for two weeks, not for a year but only for two weeks, do you think he would have done better than 51-7?

I do. Way better.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How about Bill Callahan, Beeware, how would he have done?

Originally posted by Jerry the Jacket:

Kathy Bates, in one word, stunning!!!!!
wink.gif
She certainly took my breath away entering the old hot tub. I could tell she stirred something in Jack Nicholson as well.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">JtJ,
I am not sure how much Jack Nicholson was paid for About Schmidt, but he earned every penny of it with that look on his face when KB got into the hot tub with him. Priceless!!

Originally posted by ylojk8:
bellyseries .. you don't get it do you??

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I guess I don't. Last night, and at Athens in Nov, I saw one team kick another's butt. It did not occur to me in either case that losing the game was the fault of the coach. I don't think it occurred to any of the players on either team that it was their coach's fault.Probably the coaches themselves took a lot of the blame, but that's only decent. I imagine Gailey blames himself fo any quitting that happened; any coach would (well, maybe not GO'L).

I think if they replayed the Super Bowl and Gannon was on his game and Johnson wasn't, that Oakland would win. I think if we had played UGA the day they played Clemson (i.e., with almost all our players, and a decent game at GT quarterback), we'd have beaten them.Clemson came within a decent special teams performance themselves.

So, no, I don't get why a fan of a team would spend so much time running down ANY aspect of that team, much less its head coach. Bitch about uniforms, maybe (Maryland's are hideous), but about a person? A person who is working hard at developing an outstanding team here? Maybe in the long run he will fail. Humans do. But while he's our coach, he is, by golly, OUR COACH. dawgs may run him down,FSU fans may, NC State fans may, BUT I WON'T.

In all honesty belly, did you see CG try to fight back against ugag?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">belly,
I had answered your question above and since I value your insight, I would certainly be interested in your response to this question, in case you overlooked it.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by beeware:

I had answered your question above and since I value your insight, I would certainly be interested in your response to this question, in case you overlooked it.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">beeware, i'm confused, why would anyone value the insight of a "lapdog"? why would you want bellyseries' insight when you think that he is a "lapdog"?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by beeware:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware, I'm not one to claim to be able to read people's hearts. I don't like to see a coach whose team is out of a game showing a lot of rage on the sideline, screaming at kids, etc. As far as "fighting back", I thought that CG, but more importantly, the TEAM, fought back as well as you can with no RB, a poorly performing QB, a beat-up defense, blah, blah. Why do we have to keep going over this? It was a football game, and they beat us, period. It was not the worst loss in the series, we've beaten them worse. The day we beat Navy 70-7, do you think it was because future Naval Officers and coaches at the Naval Academy don't fight back?

UGAg kicked the sh8t out of us that day! Get over it! We don't have to find a scapegoat. THEY BEAT US!

Back