Ideal hire back in 2008 was Paul Johnson and GT became the first school in GA to play in a NY6 Bowl.

The guys that were interviewed were:
CPJ
Muschamp
Randy Edsall
Terry Bowden
Joker Phillips
Charlie Strong
Neuheisel
Chris Hatcher
Tenuta

I don’t see how anyone could regret hiring CPJ out of that group. He put together some really exciting years and the rest of those guys failed pretty hard at places much easier to win at.

A time machine choice would have to be somebody out of the box but with enough of a resume to make stakeholders happy and a demonstrated record of success at least equal to CPJ since then. Gus Malzahn? Mike Leach? The list is pretty short.

Paul Johnson was the right hire then -just as Geoff Collins is the right hire now.

I was not a fan of the Chan Gailey hire -nice man, but didn’t want him coaching my college football team. Not that it matters now, but who were the other potential candidates when the Gailey hire was made?

Paul Johnson was the right hire then -just as Geoff Collins is the right hire now.

I was not a fan of the Chan Gailey hire -nice man, but didn’t want him coaching my college football team. Not that it matters now, but who were the other potential candidates when the Gailey hire was made?
The only ones I can remember off the top of my head were Gailey and Mac McWhorter.

I wish we had kept Chan back in 08

Coming from the NFL , Chan got blindsided, academic advisors not doing their jobs, not being able to find a decent QB soon enough, etc

But Chan had us going in the right direction despite the losses to UGA, at Chan's firing we had the QB position figured out with 2 or 3 damn good QB recruits, 1 that went on to hold a clipboard in the NFL

Had we kept Chan and based on what he showed as far as "getting it" on the P5 level, I'm convinced the GT FB would further along than it is now

Just my theory, no need to go bat-chit crazy at the mention of Chan's name
This right here is how we know you’re either a complete idiot or a dwag.

Cut woulda been a home run hire at GT

At Duke he immediately upgaded S&C and changed the culture at a place many levels below GT

Bring him into GT with Renfree at QB and we keep DJ Donley opposite of Bey Bey, combine that with him running pro-style to keep Stanford & ND outta our backyard recruiting-wise

I think he does much better than the guy we ended up getting

Also, I think we get both Tuitt and Dalvin Tomlinson if we hire Coach Cut instead of the other guy, not to mention other players that we lost to factories

Just my opinion
You may literally be the worst poster on this board, and there are some pretty bad ones.

While I suspect you are correct I think the ceiling might be higher for Cutcliffe had he been at tech.

Meaning he could have done better for himself here than at Duke?

I might buy that argument. But I definitely don't think he makes any Orange Bowls, and definitely don't think he beats Georgia, which means he'd have had to hit that ceiling inside about a 5 to 6 year span before getting laid off.

Cut woulda been a home run hire at GT

At Duke he immediately upgaded S&C and changed the culture at a place many levels below GT

Bring him into GT with Renfree at QB and we keep DJ Donley opposite of Bey Bey, combine that with him running pro-style to keep Stanford & ND outta our backyard recruiting-wise

I think he does much better than the guy we ended up getting

Also, I think we get both Tuitt and Dalvin Tomlinson if we hire Coach Cut instead of the other guy, not to mention other players that we lost to factories

Just my opinion
Donley should've played defense

CPJ was the obvious choice and did a good job here. I think several of us were disappointed he did not evolve over time to keep us fresh, but overall, he did a good job. Time to move on.

Can't help but think of the analogy with Pepper Rodgers. When he came here from UCLA he was a 3O guru, upset the dawgs with it in '74, but when the defenses seemed to clamp down on it he switched to the I formation which worked good when Eddie Lee was healthy. After that chaos ensued.

CPJ was a ballsy and good hire at the time and I appreciate everything he and his staff and players gave to us. Now it's time to move on. In fact I would love to see a Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of a football game with CPJ as one of the snarky commentators. He's quite witty and I am fluent in sarcasm and he's got a great football mind. He'd be an AWESOME commentator!

Can't help but think of the analogy with Pepper Rodgers. When he came here from UCLA he was a 3O guru, upset the dawgs with it in '74, but when the defenses seemed to clamp down on it he switched to the I formation which worked good when Eddie Lee was healthy. After that chaos ensued.
David Sims was an awesome running back

Although Pepper was given admissions leeway to recruit pretty much anyone, our facilities were crap. The weight room had a dirt floor for goodness sake. He was promised we would upgrade the facilities, but he managed to piss off some influential alumni and it didn’t happen. He was a good coach, but couldn’t get talent in the quantity needed.

Back