If Gailey Bombs Next Year, HIRE McWHORTER...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
He had the players pumped and wanting to hit anything that moved. Reminded me of UGA's "D" in the bowl game, they were flying all over the place. I just believe McWhorter can lead and inspire, not just the players, but the coaching staff as well. I believe BOB can be a FRIDGE type off coord. if left alone to do the job. Mac took a team that was depressed from losing to UGA and then the O'Leary debacle and got them ready to face the 10th ranked team in the country. Now Gailey had appeared to do the same thing, it looked like he had things going the right way after the NCST and VA games but I truly believe NCST and VA played poorly against us.

South Georgia Jacket

SouthGa be careful mentioning Mac’s name on this board. Every time I bring it up I get 39 lashes from the posters. I agree with everything you said. I still don’t understand why some people don’t believe he will make a good head coach. He motivated the players. He had them excited before and after the game. The players spoke publicly about their desire to play for him. I haven’t heard a single public statement from a player bout CG. Apparently he let BOB and Roof do their jobs without interference. Both of them responded. That is the only game in the last two years that I have seen an excited and inspired GT team play in.

As for Mac’s ties to Ugag, forget about them. It is bs. If he is the best man for the job – hire him!

Thanks for speaking up.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You know what, if Mac was the coach I would support him just like I support Gailey. And if he were here now and we were struggling with the sorry play of our QBs like we are now I would still support him like I'm supporting Gailey.

FWIW I still think it's silly to judge a coach on one game, good or bad.

The problem with Mac as a head coach is nobody in the country, save a few on Tech Boards, believes he should be a head coach. He has with few exceptions, been a position coach all his career and a very good one at that.

83, can you tell me why Mac would not be a good head coach?

I can tell you a couple of things:

1) He has not been considered for Head Coaching jobs anywhere else not even at his alma mater where he coached and played for the Athletic Director (Vince Dooley). Why are the Athletic Directors at other programs not considering him for the Head Coach for their teams? Why did Vince Dooley not interview him for the UGA opening?

2) He has been as career position coach (mostly OL). He has not held "Coordinator Positions" at any of the major schools that he has coached at(GT, UGA, Clemson, Alabama, Texas). Mac made a career decision that staying in the south was a larger priority than taking jobs elsewhere (NFL or College) that could have broaden his experience. There is nothing wrong with the decision he made, however it can be career limting.

3) He was rumored to want to hire Rip Shearer as his OC if he got the job at Tech. Rip Shearer should never be alowed to set foot on the GT campus again.

I think Mac is a fine man and a great position coach. I don't think he has the experience to be a head coach. If I were looking to hire a new head coach with no head coaching experience there are other people I would put ahead of him. Guys like Norm Chow, Neil Callaway, and Bud Foster who have had significant experience as position coaches and Coordinators.

Thanks for your response. I still don't understand why no AD has ever considered him for a HC. It just seems he has always had the respect of his players and they want to play for him. The staying in the south I was not aware of but I can understand your point there. If the rumor about Rip Shearer has one ounce of truth, I agree with you totally.

Agree about the other coaches and would add two to the list: Mike Kruczek and Dan Hawkins.

From what I have heard Mac did not want to be uprooting his kids every few years. That is a admirable reason for not having pursued jobs with more responsibility. I would take him and Ted Roof back at GT in the future as assistants and also hold out hope that in 10 years or so Ted will have developed as a coach to the point that he can be GT's Head Coach.

I don't know if Mac would be a good HC, but I believe he would be.

The attack on his abilities because no one else thinks so is ridiculous. If Nameyourpick State came along and made him an offer, would he then be a viable choice? Of course not.

The attack on a candidate having ugag ties could be questioned, but in his case, I would let it go. I think CCG's first Tech game was Vandy, if you don't count his years playing for Fl.
I believe that Mac loves Tech, and the players loved AND respected him.

Back to attack #1, Isn't that guy up at Md. now a HC that begged everybody to give him a shot?
Other than looking ugly on camera, his biggest rap was that he was only a position coach, and would fail as "The Man".

Call me a FOMAC !

One big difference between Fridge and Mac is that as OC both in college and the pros, Fridge had game day responsibility for the offense, including making adjustments, etc. Mac has always been a position coach, not a coordinator so the assumption is the responsibility isn't as great (although he has been Asst HC - I have no idea what that means).

I've never questioned Mac's attitude or desire. The kids did seem to like him and want to play for him. I did question some who stressed his loyalty to Tech though. Not to say he doesn't love the school (I have no idea) but his loyalty seemed to me to be like any other coach's. He moved when he either needed to or had a better opportunity. He left Tech and came back during his career, and had only been back 2 years IIRC when O'Leary left. Like I said, I'm not sure where the loyalty thing came from.

And, as I said earlier, if he had gotten the job I'd be all for him. But he didn't.

I don't know if its true but, when Stoops name came up at Bama the Bama fans thought he was a head case. The guy I would want to hire is Norm Chow (OC for USC). He is an offensive coach of the caliber of Ralph Friegen and spent most of his career ar BYU where he developed some fine QB's and was able to put together very good offenses without top talent.

I like Mac, but BUTCH DAVIS, VISOR BOY, CHOW, TOM O'BRIEN, STRONG, KRUZ, hopefully we will not have to, but for Heaven's sake why can we not shoot a little higher?

I would like to see Mac but would think others to be considered should include Dan Hawkins (Boise State) and Mike Kruczek (UCF).

Back