If I read the Savannah article correctly

texstinger

Dodd-Like
we averaged almost 8 penalties a game? Regardless of talent, injuries, thoughts of girlfriends, whatever a good coaching staff will make sure that penalties/turnovers are an area that improves as the year goes on. Unbeelievable. Also, if we do not change the strength coach SOON I see us as winning 2 or 3 games next year.

On the penalties, I took a look at how we have fared over the last few years. Only could go back through '99.

99 - 7 per game
00 - 8.4
01 - 7

Not too sure what that says but we weren't much different this year than we've been in the past. Less is always better but methinks it's more about timing than number.

As for S&C I agree 100% about needing a change, either in the coaches or the program they run.

An odd stat is that many times successful teams get a lot of penalties.I thought I heard Miami averaged 9 this yr.

If anyone knows where we could find a breakdown of the penalties that would be great. Seems to me we had an excessive amount of False Starts, Delay of Game and Unsportsmanship/Personal Fouls. As a whole those are inexcusable and boil down to coaching.

You are right, they are inexcusable. But were they inexcuseable last year too is what I want to know. From what I can tell, our penalties this year weren't much different from in the past. It's easier to remember this year's of course, but if you watch old game tapes I don't know that it's changed too much. If someone can find more detail that might help.

On a side note, and not trying to read anything into it, wasn't it weird that it seemed like every time Bilbo came in we had an illegal procedure his fist play? What's up with that?

I don't remember that many penalties on the first play by Bilbo that that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Illegal Procedure calls are usually False Starts. When you get a different QB the change in cadence can cause linemen to move early. Still shouldn’t happen IMO.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
You are right, they are inexcusable. But were they inexcuseable last year too is what I want to know. From what I can tell, our penalties this year weren't much different from in the past. It's easier to remember this year's of course, but if you watch old game tapes I don't know that it's changed too much. If someone can find more detail that might help.

On a side note, and not trying to read anything into it, wasn't it weird that it seemed like every time Bilbo came in we had an illegal procedure his fist play? What's up with that?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Correct, NC, noted so myself many times...

Either Bilbo's cadence was very different and threw off his teammates causing a false start OR
THERE WAS A CONSPIRACY BY TEAMMATES TO MAKE HIM LOOK BAD AND KEEP HIM FROM PLAYING!!!
wtf.gif

(jus kiddin)

Back