If I were Chan Gailey

Indian Buzz

Varsity Lurker
, which I'm not
grin.gif
, I'd look at one of these guys. This should be fun for us as we speculate who we'd like to hire if it were us. I'm not cool enough to hide the actual link in my code. So I'll just make a list in the order I'd talk to them.

1. Chris Hatcher-HC at Valdosta State
2. Patrick Nix
3. Ken Whisenhunt-TE for Pittsburgh Steelers
4. Chris Peterson-OC/QB at Boise State
5. Frank Cignetti-OC/QB at Fresno State

That's it...those are the 5 guys I'd call.

Of those, Id chase Peterson at Boise State. I watched them on several occaisions and they can flat out move the ball, and do it in several ways. If you guys thought youd seen the last of a totally schemed attack since Fridge left, watch some tape of Boise. By the way, they demolished a full strength Fresno team for comparison.

1. I would have known ahead of time that BOB was going to be leaving. (I indeed would think that Chan knew for some time now)
2. If I did not already know who I wanted and that he would come, I would have spent time, money, and energy collecting data on a prospective replacement and would already have a number down to 3-5 right now.
3. I would select my next OC with some of the following criteria in mind: a. He would already be a proven achiever/winner wherever he had gone before. b. He would be an energetic, outgoing, motivator. C. He would be able to successfully adjust to changing situations. D. He would be firm, but likable to the extent that a kid would try to run through a brick wall for him.
E. He MUST be a super-salesman recruiter. F. He must love to win and hate to lose and be of such character that a loss would produce detemination not to lose again, no matter the cost. G. He would be loyal to me, the staff, the team, the school.
4. My guess is that Chan already knows who he wants and the chances of getting him; and for the right man I would cut part of my salary (if needed) to get him.

I hope Chan will hire a proven OC but if he does hire a young coach based on potential I don't think he could do better than young Nix. We are not in a position to be taking chances on potential however.

No use to speculate. Nix is the guy with heavy influence from Gailey. I am glad there is nobody else to blame next year when we don't perform.

Originally posted by gtmg:
No use to speculate. Nix is the guy with heavy influence from Gailey. I am glad there is nobody else to blame next year when we don't perform.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Is it official? I hope not. I know Coach Nix is a very valuable coach for Tech but this should not be Coach Gailey's next move.

If I were CG I woudl laugh in the face of all the unbelievers who said he could not put together a good recruiting program this year. I would next procede to take us to ANOTHER winning year, and give all those Drool'in Dawg fans a hell of a fight in the process.

The title of your thread "If I Were Chan Gailey", reminds me of a clever Lyle Lovett tune entitled, If I Had A Boat.

The first verse goes something like this:

"If I had a boat.....I'd go out on the ocean....and if I had pony....I'd ride him on my boat......me upon my pony on my boat."

I think in honor of Chan's performance this year, that we should buy him a boat AND a pony.

The title of your thread "If I Were Chan Gailey", reminds me of a clever Lyle Lovett tune entitled, If I Had A Boat
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's funny. When I think of you beeware, another part of that song comes to mind, you know the verse about Tonto and the Lone Ranger...

"Kiss my ass, I've bought a boat, and I'm headed out to sea!"

Back