IF Richt were to leave Ugag

There is no way to replace a living legend. Football would be cancelled at UGA. Mass suicides would be the norm.
BOO

Now, that would be a hoot if Mac became head coach at UGA. BeeWare and I could light up the board on that one.

Of course, it will never happen, but it sure would be fun!

wink.gif

I don't think Richt will ever leave Georgia, unless he just can't find a church he likes in Athens. Seriously, though, what are the college jobs he'd possibly leave Georgia to take? FSU and Miami, I would think. Well, the way things are going, neither one of those jobs would necessarily be a step up. In fact, no job will be a step up if things go the way I think they'll go at Georgia. They've got themselves a good one over there, and I'd be shocked if he leaves for any job short of the NFL.

And if he does leave, the job is likely to be much more attractive than when he took it.

As Uncle OJ suggests I see Richt being comfortable in Athens for a long time. A college town like Athens seems a better fit for him than Tally or Miami given his emphasis on church and family. Most of his coaches are family men that he doesn't want to uproot either. I think building his own program is more important than going back to Miami where he barely played or FSU where following Bowden is a losing proposition given fan expectations and the gradually increasing parity in the ACC. He's never coached in the pros and I don't see him chasing $$$ so I don't see that happening neither. Down the road maybe 10-15 years after a few SEC and a national title or three when his kids are older he might look for a new challenge. When and if that happens we'll have the pick of a top coach. Van Gorder the DC has certainly distinguished himself. Mike Bobo and Will Muschamp the DC at LSU are some former players that have bright coaching futures if we want to go in that direction down the road. I don't think him serving out his whole career at UGA and ending up as AD like Dooley is at all unlikely. Remember Dooley and wife were tempted to to return to AU but the Athens roots had grown too deep.

Uncle OJ is correct. As I've said elsewhere, UGA is the most underachieving football school in the country over the last 40 years, given its recruiting advantages. Only Nebraska, with NO in-state I-A competition, is better off than UGa, who has only us and our self-limiting curriculum as an in-state rival. If Richt continues to develop as a gameday coach, they have a bright future over there. We've got to be a national recruiting school, as Gailey obviously understands, to stay in the game.

I personally dont care what they do in Athens... Gailey has forgotten more about coaching than Richt has ever learned... We have the better coach... Gailey's challege is greater than Richts because it is always easier to coach the "state" school... especially when the "other" school in the state has a limited academic offering as compared to the state...

I dont care if Richt comes or goes... I just want to beat them every year...

Back