I'll eat crow for GTAce...

Master B

Varsity Lurker
I\'ll eat crow for GTAce...

Sorry that I doubted you man about... our conversation a week or so ago about guys we thought to be DTs moving to OL. Looks like you might end up being right on BOTH. I'm not too surprised on Breeze but I was on the other one. I'll step up when I'm wrong! Had you heard something before that or did you just guess that right on. I had the impression that you were just guessing and it didn't match with what I had heard at the time on the other DT. Anyway, good call my man... I'll clean out my ears better next time you speak up on the subject!

Re: I\'ll eat crow for GTAce...

Now that's a real man!

Holy smacks, Batman, what a class act MasterB is. Our own recruiting GURU, who I have no argument with whatsoever, could have just went on about his terrific business of keeping GT fans updated on recruiting news he's heard-and his gravevine is growing & maturing each yr, without taking a minute to give an attaboy. I humbly reply, thanks.
I'm a long time avid college sports fan specializing in GT sports. It's the speed of linemen that determine O or D. Brezina & Wrotto strikes me as not as fast as say Pullen, Matthews or Oliver. The 40 times & the fact that they played so much OL in HS led me to think O. We wanted them for D, but they may be better suited for O. Bre has not been mentioned in the same breath as Pullen & Matthews so I figured a change was underway. Educated & certainly not irresponsible guessing.

So am I reading this right that you are hearing Wrotto to the o Line? If so I'm disappointed. I think we need size not speed on the interior D line.

Wrotto should make a very, very good OT. Best OL recruit we have coming in next Fall, so far. Bre could also convert to really help a position we will be low on numbers in in a coupla yrs.
The Dline, or anywhere on D, must be able to run to chase the mobile QB or RBs that dance or cut back. If a CB forces them to cutback, but the pursuit isn't there then it's still a nice gain. The slower Dlinemen almost invariably get moved to OL, irregardless of their size.
U should be very happy with Leshaun Newberry. Over 305 lbs & can move the weight upfield. We sure could use another Newberry.

Sounds like Wrotto will come in as a DT but would likely get moved soon after. Don't be surprised if we give him a shot there at first, but Ace probably has him pegged right in the long run. I had a feeling I was going to have to make this post after watching the last Brookwood game. He was much better at OL it looked like but I think he'd be fine at DT too. It makes sense that we wouldn't have room for Price if all 3 true OL keep their committment plus Breeze moves over and possibly Wrotto. At DT we have Newberry coming -- at 30 pounds heavier than Wrotto at supposedly the same speed. He'll still take 2 years to be a solid contributor but good potential there I think. I have a feeling that the other silent plays DT as well.... we'll just have to wait and see.

Plus, MasterB, Pullen & Matthews have looked very good on the dline & both RSed so they'll be Fr this coming Fall. Newberry & Oliver are D guys & should develope nicely after rs yrs. Hargrove & Malone will be Jrs along with Parker, Henderson & Billy being Sos. It's not as crucial to have Bre & Wrotto on DL as it is to have them in line @ OL because of numbers. One OL in a yr, like last yr, really puts u behind on OL numbers.

PS: just a reminder that Leon Robinson & Hugh Reilly both came in as DLs & both were switched to OL in the Spring practices following their 1st Fall as DLs. They have both played very well on OL & started very early in their careers. They were just better suited for OL as is Brezina & Wrotto.
Also, numbers help dictate where we have the more urgent need, where ?s start out at & end up at. U could count on O'Leary moving at least 50% of his players to different positions from where they came in at.

Back