I'm definitely not a Gailey homer....But that Bradley article was....

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
I\'m definitely not a Gailey homer....But that Bradley article was....

100% PURE BS.....

I've been highly critical of CG (well, last year during the season - not in the offseason), but trying to remain objective...

With the current QB situation, I think he has shown decisiveness and GOOD decision skills.
IF he had left Bilbo in, and Bilbo didn't cut it ---> people would be complaining that he was repeating last years mistake of leaving Suggs in too long......sheeeese...Give the guy a break..

So, in 2+ years, Bilbo didn't quite grasp the QB position.....Was Gailey supposed to wait till the 3rd or 4th game to make a move ?....From observers of practice - to a man - everyone, here and on the Hive has seen what the coaches have see.

So whats Gailey to do ? If he leaves Bilbo in, he loses with many fans etc...If he makes a decision, then he gets fans/Bradley upset...It was a lose-lose scenario all the way...

I recall when J Hamilton started - there were NUMEROUS questions about the move, as we had more experienced QBs at Tech.....Look how that turned out...

Then I LOVE how Bradley sticks to the various "rating" services, JUST as a UGA HOMER WOULD DO !!!! Hello - Mark, there are actually some good college FB players who weren't ranked in the top 10 !!!! How high was Tony Hollings rated as a running back ???????????????????????

I could give a Rats A** about the freaking recruiting services !!!! They are a $$ making proposition, and the players ratings are as fluid as the ocean tides largely depending on where they sign, or who is showing interest....

I applaud Gailey with the recent QB moves - he's putting it on the line, getting involved with the team, etc....

For the first time, I am actually see a ray of hope in the staff right now - echoing a lot of what Axe said the other day...

Re: I\'m definitely not a Gailey homer....But that Bradley article was....

I actually agreed with the article. Its been nothing but Keystone Cops since Gailey showed up. We'll see how it plays out.

drinking.gif
WIn or lose, we drink the booze!

GR, about your JH comment. Just substitute DB in it and you'll have what bother some. JH became what he did via GAME experience. Yeah DB has been on campus 2+ yrs. and has had a minimum of GAME experience. The only 3 meaningful, game still in question, chances he had were NC,WF, and the quasibowl. He threw a laser like dart for a TD when we needed it badly in the WF game, a very athletic inventive TD in the NC game, and 2 TD's in the bowl game (only 2 TD second half in last 6 or 7 games at that point).

Many of us who attend practices gushed about Bilbo during his freshman practices. Let's wait and see. I just wish CG had. My guess is Ball & Carter are the real deal and that AJ has improved, but we would have IMO been a stronger team to have had this settled via GAME performance. THWG

The lose/lose situation with the fans is true and sad.

Fortunately, it seems (from the beginning actually) that Coach Gailey doesn't give one iota of consideration to fan reaction when making football decisions. I know many have moaned and complained (imagine that) about his PR skills and his relations with the fans. That may or may not be, but when it comes to football proper, fan reaction has no bearing on his decisions. Of this I am very respectful and happy.

I'm sure he would rather offend 10,000 fans than do something detrimental to one of his players, staff, or the GT program in general, or to put the team in any lesser position to win every ball game.

As for the DBO situation specifically, I believe Coach Gailey's decision was calculated so as to make sure to the most reasonable extent that DBO did not fit into the picture as a GT QB while allowing him time to either adjust to another position (his athleticism makes the adjustment easier) or transfer. The option would have been to string DBO along (knowingly or unknowingly) too long resulting in him being relagated to the sideline this year thus causingf him to lose a year's eligibility (should he have chosen to transfer after that,) and a year's on-field participation. At the least, delaying the decison would have mean DBO is trying to learn a now position during actual games--that's not good for anybody.

Great decision (IMHO,) great timing, go Jackets.

**As for the sentiment that this decision could have or should have been made soon after last year and even during spring--that is just ludicrous. To those thinking in this vein, can you explain why that would have been good for anybody?

Bark Madley BUUUUULdog....
Has been after EVERY head coach at GT since he has been here in Atlanta...He DOES NOT want us to succeed..I repeat DOES NOT WANT us to succeed...

Remember (The SEC homer he is ) How he slammed the ACC when we expanded..He knows we now are in a position to be the PREMIER conference in all of college football...This IRKS HIM....

Bradley, much like a blind hog, will find an acorn every now and then.

In this case, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusions that he did and write such a lazy article.

I notice he didn't bother to do any research on Ole Miss/Miss St's roster and last recruiting class. Lets see... D-Bo is from Miss, so yeah he might want to transfer to one of those schools. He very well may be right, but a journalist he is not.

I wish Gailey would have stopped the glowing story on Bilbo that ran 2 days before he was demoted. That just made them both look foolish.

Originally posted by GTBC1985:
I wish Gailey would have stopped the glowing story on Bilbo that ran 2 days before he was demoted. That just made them both look foolish.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">----------------------------------

Wasn't that glowing story written by Bradley ? I don't recall any CG quotes.....But of course I could be wrong (as my wife frequently reminds me........

My point is this...

There is probably a lot to be critical about with CG, but to me, this QB situation ain't one of them....Just my honest opinion

dont usually agree with bradley but, this time he is correct , recipe for disaster.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
Bradley, much like a blind hog, will find an acorn every now and then.

In this case, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusions that he did and write such a lazy article.

I notice he didn't bother to do any research on Ole Miss/Miss St's roster and last recruiting class. Lets see... D-Bo is from Miss, so yeah he might want to transfer to one of those schools. He very well may be right, but a journalist he is not.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Whoops, I am confusing parts of the Hollis article with Bradley's article (sic). My last sentence above still stands!

Originally posted by GoldZ:
GR, about your JH comment. Just substitute DB in it and you'll have what bother some. JH became what he did via GAME experience. Yeah DB has been on campus 2+ yrs. and has had a minimum of GAME experience.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GoldZ, I can't agree with this. Joe looked pretty sharp in fall camp '96 as a redshirt fresman. There really was no comparison between the RS-FR. fall Joe Hamilton and Bilbo's peformance this fall. I don't want to bash the kid, but he has been talking about this a lot in the media and I think we should evaluate him fairly. During the first week at the position, Bilbo struggled throwing routes accurately against air(drills without defense). I'm not even talking about 7 on 7(no pass rush). I saw him throw into double coverage time and again during 7 on 7 drills without any rush. He was throwing the deep ball well but that was about it. He just wasn't making plays or throwing the ball consistently. I just didn't see him making strides from last fall and the spring. That was not encouraging because he had so far to come.

If you watched Joe Hamilton in fall of '96, he was smooth and steady in 7 on 7 drills and was making good reads. Bilbo was no where near that level this fall.

Chan never said Bilbo had the job. We had two guys in the spring 1 that we've seen plenty of, so Chan said he wanted to give Bilbo the number 1 snaps and see what he could do. He didn't win the job in the spring and Chan said as much after spring. He went into the fall getting #1 snaps with another shot at the job and he had two quarterbacks(Suggs and Ball)making much better reads and three quarterbacks(Suggs, Ball, and Carter) making more consistent throws from the position. He isn't in the top 2 at this time, it is clear to many that he could really help the team at another position. However, if he chooses to go elsewhere so he can play QB. I will certainly respect his decision.

Axe, what exactly are u disagreeing with? The truth is he has had very limited game experience, and what little he did have that was meaningful, he performed more than admirably...4 TD's in maybe 35 minutes of playing time! I also saw him throw 2 passes in the Spring game on the run across his body that were strikes that very few D-1 kids could have done. He also threw a perfect long ball to JS for a TD.

Look I don't argue his shortcomings in practice, but we all have seen how painfully little having good practices meant last year.

And yes, many of us attending practice did in fact gush over his obvious talent when he was on campus the same amount of time the current freshmen have been.

Look the only problem I have with this is it wasn't settled based on the only thing that matters...demonstrating who can move the team downfield with the first O against the first D, and even more importantly on GAME DAY. It's very unlikely that in the end DB would not have at least been no.2, and if we had gone through the process I described we would have a heck of a back-up.

I still don't know what in my original post you are disagreeing with? Have a good one and I hope to meet you at practice soon. THWG

The only thing that concerns me about this move is the fact that CCG did not move Bilbo down in the depth chart before banning him from the position. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense and appears to deny Bilbo "due process" in addressing the coaches concerns. What would have been wrong with saying that Ball was practicing great and earned the spot?? It would have challenged Bilbo and given him a chance to respond on the field with his play.

After a week or so, it would have been the time to approach DBo and ask him does he want to try something else. DBo's hand has been forced, he's been humiliated so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him transfer, especially after his old high school coach at JC in Mississippi has told him that he wants him...

This kinda approach is whats used in the corporate world to politely force people to leave...

I have no doubt from what I hear and read that CCG is doing the right thing in getting the best QB to the top, I just don't like the way he handled it particularly well.

GoldZ,

The point I was making that when I watched Joe Hamilton in fall practice '96. I saw a Quarterback that was consistently throwing the football on target during passing drills. I saw a quarterback that was consistently throwing the football in 7 on 7 drills to the correct receiver and on target. I saw a quarterback with a prescence and an understanding of what his offense was trying to do. I saw the best quarterback on the field and one that had earned the right to step on the field and see what would happen when the lights come on.

I did not see any of that from Bilbo this fall. He was very inconsistent throwing the football against air. I saw a quarterback that was not composed in 7 on 7 drills when there is no pass rush. I also saw 2 quarterbacks that were clearly playing better and a 3rd that was throwing the football more consistently than Bilbo.

You have to earn the right to step on the field at Quarterback or any position and the other kids at the position have shown more to earn that right.

ramblinwise1,

Chan basically said in the summer that the job was wide open. Everyone was going to get a shot. Bilbo was getting the most snaps but Carter and Ball got a bunch as well. There was a guy taking snaps with the 1st team, but he wasn't the starter. After a week, it was clear that Bilbo was behind Ball and Suggs and probably not too far ahead of carter. I'm sure Chan could have just said D-bo you're now #3, but the kid is too talented to sit on the pine. He just wasn't near the top of the race.

Back