In defense of Coach Gailey

rope45

Varsity Lurker
This is only an assumption but perhaps CG assumed that because the football academic advisor had been a player at GT, former academic advisor to athletes under GOL, and director of the Challenge Program (to assist minority students in their academic pursuits at Tech), that everything in academics would be under control.
I am not interested in placing blame. I AM concerned about getting the program back on track!
A previous post stated something to the effect that a person (e.g. GOL) couldn't return to his/her job, but the advisor situation refutes that as does the head trainer position. (I'll grant that the situations surrounding the individuals involved were vastly different;however, it IS possible to return to a job IF you have been effective in the first place). I believe that the advisor's effectiveness was assumed by the HC. Under the circumstances, most of us would have thought the same. GT needs the BEST person in all positions (as the case with Sports Medicine)because of the uniqueness of GT.

Rope: Thanks for the insight but in the real world of business ... you can't assume - you have to know. I know where you're coming from as far as the AA and it's academic processes but as the top gun, manager, coach, President, CEO, CFO, AD - whatever you are in whatever position ... assumption doesn't get the job done. Employers don't hire you to assume - here's my HR background again.

I'm out here with a job loaded with responsibility, I can't assume when I sit down with my President and discuss issues, he'll tell me to leave and get my facts straight and come back.

I learned early on in life, if you want to move up the ladder - know your craft and present the facts. I learned a lot under my very first manager who was a task master, don't come in my office and not know and not be prepared, you won't last.

Thanks for you insight.

rope,
you said
GT needs the BEST person in all positions (as the case with Sports Medicine) because of the uniqueness of GT.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Is this an implication of the SM dept not being the best? The reason I ask is because I'm familiar with the director (originally hired by Ross, I think) who was demoted from Assoc. (maybe it was Assist.) A.D. during OL's tenure and eventually forced out. Now he is back, and I thought him to be very dedicated to Tech and very thorough in his job. What's going on here?
**I just re-read your post to make sure I understood what you were saying. I think you are using Shoop's circumstance to point to the fact that personnel can return. Is this right?

Thanks for you insight.

Yes, BEE, I am saying that Jay Shoop is hands down the BEST! But citing that he did return (and I'm thankful he did).

McTech: I agree with you 10000%. I have always been a proponent of accountability. As I said in my post, I'm only seeking a solution. It's too late to "point fingers" unless the finger pointing determines a remedy. CG is NOT absolved in the matter (nor are any of the other principals), but since we weren't privy to what he was told when he was hired, I can't make that call. Because I am acquainted with all parties in the fiasco, I suspicion what the actual events were but will keep the opinion to myself because I have no way (yet) to reliably verify what I think.

Thanks for the good report on the SM dept.

I met Jay through a friend whom he knew from and with whom he worked with in the USFL, and I have spoken with him a few times via email. I can say he bleeds White and Gold. You could tell his love for GT and his job without him saying anything. He really had put together quite an impressive display of old GT memorabilia in the training room.

I don't know everything that happened during the OL tenure there with the removal of his Assoc. A.D. title and his eventual reunion with Ross in the NFL, but I'm just glad he's back.

Jay wasn't the only one to lose a title: the first meeting that DB had with The Athletic Director's Cabinet (composed of all assistant and associate athletic directors under H Rice), his opening remark was,"As of now, all titles are gone." How do I know? Because I was one to lose a title too.

Wow, sounds like DB has created messes from the beginning.

I haven't felt a strong conviction of who is responsible for this whole academic mess--partly because I realize that I know probably less than 1% of the details and actual happenings and partly because I want the focus to be on getting things right for the future--but it is becoming somewhat apparent that DB is a detriment to GT ahtletics. I concede I may perceive this incorrectly, but that is how it is shaping up in my mind.

I agree with you about refraining from finger-pointing if it does not lead to a rememdy. Perhaps the finger needs to pointed at--and the rememdy applied to--DB.

Back