InsideMDSports: GT making push for B1G

Did Taz open his checkbook for a portion of the $50m?
:cool:

Seriously, we have trouble recruiting to win in the ACC, but could compete in B1G?
:turbonoes:

What is this "multiple sources" b.s.? Anyone can get on social media nowadays and claim they have insider information. Cite the sources or stfu, basically.

GT is definitely in play even if it's for the move to 16 teams. Looking at the quality of the programs Big 10 has approached in Rutgers and Maryland, you can see this is about extending the TV market base with huge markets (see DC/Baltimore, NY, Atl, etc.) and also expanding conference power/money for the playoff format coming up (there are some per team payoffs in the playoff format).

If playoff was going to use BCS ranking and picks were made today, this weekend there would be 3 SEC teams in playoff. But, picks will be made by a 'committee', which implies bigger conferences should get a bigger bias. I think that's another issue that is important, bigger conferences with bigger power.

I have a hard time seeing it happen, personally. Just would be remiss not to pass it along to STers...

Eh. I don't believe any of the current realignment rumors.

We don't even have an athletic director right now. I doubt Bud is out there doing it.

Moron is hedging his "inside info".

Jeff Ermann
@insidemdsports
No, not saying they will. Just that they're interested.
2:09pm Sun Nov 18

Hell no. FSU and Clemson are locked down. ND is a forged resume away from becoming a full football member. Who cares if Maryland leaves? We have a good thing going with a seat at the table in a fairly weak conference. Lets not spoil it and make attending away games impossible.

Would replacing Maryland with Connecticut even be a step down in any conceivable way? Seem like a wash in football and probably a step up in basketball, with a nice $50M bonus. Not like the ACC is going to collapse here.

Eh. I don't believe any of the current realignment rumors.

We don't even have an athletic director right now. I doubt Bud is out there doing it.

Yeah, but have you ever paused to think about why we don't have an AD? He knew we were on our way to the B1G, and he didn't want any part of it.

Also, think about this. In the Orwin Smith TD ad for the ACC, it ends by saying, "where LEADERS are born," clealy indicating what division of the B1G GT's going to play in. OK, so that's how conspiracy theory is done, anyway.

Hell no. FSU and Clemson are locked down. ND is a forged resume away from becoming a full football member. Who cares if Maryland leaves? We have a good thing going with a seat at the table in a fairly weak conference. Lets not spoil it and make attending away games impossible.
How are FSU and Clemson locked if Maryland is not?

Yeah, but have you ever paused to think about why we don't have an AD? He knew we were on our way to the B1G, and he didn't want any part of it.

Also, think about this. In the Orwin Smith TD ad for the ACC, it ends by saying, "where LEADERS are born," clealy indicating what division of the B1G GT's going to play in. OK, so that's how conspiracy theory is done, anyway.

:rotfl:

How are FSU and Clemson locked if Maryland is not?

Big 10 is not interested in either, SEC is not looking to expand anytime soon. Both schools probably had their chance when the SEC was expanding and they turned it down. Same logic I give for GT, they have a seat at the table in a weak conference. That is a sweet deal and they would be fools to move to the SEC and go from best in the league to middle of the league.

IMHO this is panic move by Delaney.

He blew it in the last go-round when the B1G went with Nebraska.
The ACC looked in disarray and in jeopardy.
Delaney should have gone with MD, BC or maybe Syracuse, THEN.
Its too late now. Now it could cost $50 million each to get MD, BC or Syracuse.

Losing ND was simply HUGE, and that now severely limits the B1G's future.

With the possibility of getting ND full time in 2 years, plus the money that goes with adding a possible 16th team, MD would be very poorly served by leaving the ACC now.

If Delaney can't get MD now, he risks losing PennSt......if.....ND joins full time.
PennSt has ALWAYS considered themselves an East Coast team. A stronger ACC
would be a perfect fit for PennSt.

Back