Interesting stat of the day

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Let's start this thread with a bang.

Georgia Tech leads the nation in sacks allowed at zero.

Ok, so we share the top spot with two other teams also at zero: Army - duh, they don't pass - and curiously - New Mexico who, impressively, have about 40 more pass attempts than we do. You see where I'm going with this, right?

Duke, interestingly, is fifth in the nation in sacks with 17. The good news is that 8 of them came against Elon. The bad news is that 9 of them didn't. Well its not all bad - 6 came against MTSU. So not really a big concern but I wouldn't get cocky and let them spoil our record. On the flip side, we suck at sacks. Put another way, our national rank has 3 digits and we are surrounded by teams that end in ...State and start with things like Ball, Fresno... you get the picture.

I have gone on record for decades saying that if I can only have one stat about a team I'm scouting its
3rd down conversion rate

The good news is that Duke is in the top 20 at being bad at this stat - 20 for 70 and that includes games against Elon, Connecticut at MTSU. I actually expected us to be better than we are at 56th nationally. Going 4-15 against L'ville didn't help but then again, neither did going a combined 7 for 17 against VMI and GSU. What the eff is up with that? I'll just say what we should all be thinking about that: unacceptable. We are converting a paltry 43% with our QB and our two-headed OC? No, sir - not good enough at all. Five games in - only two against what I consider to be "good" teams and we are below 45%? That's actually a bit concerning.

I'm not worried about losing to Duke. We aren't losing to those doofuses. And we have a much bigger fish to fry the following weekend. But we better get some stuff cleaned up. In the stats I think are important, we are way behind schedule.

Let's start this thread with a bang.

Georgia Tech leads the nation in sacks allowed at zero.

Ok, so we share the top spot with two other teams also at zero: Army - duh, they don't pass - and curiously - New Mexico who, impressively, have about 40 more pass attempts than we do. You see where I'm going with this, right?

Duke, interestingly, is fifth in the nation in sacks with 17. The good news is that 8 of them came against Elon. The bad news is that 9 of them didn't. Well its not all bad - 6 came against MTSU. So not really a big concern but I wouldn't get cocky and let them spoil our record. On the flip side, we suck at sacks. Put another way, our national rank has 3 digits and we are surrounded by teams that end in ...State and start with things like Ball, Fresno... you get the picture.

I have gone on record for decades saying that if I can only have one stat about a team I'm scouting its
3rd down conversion rate

The good news is that Duke is in the top 20 at being bad at this stat - 20 for 70 and that includes games against Elon, Connecticut at MTSU. I actually expected us to be better than we are at 56th nationally. Going 4-15 against L'ville didn't help but then again, neither did going a combined 7 for 17 against VMI and GSU. What the eff is up with that? I'll just say what we should all be thinking about that: unacceptable. We are converting a paltry 43% with our QB and our two-headed OC? No, sir - not good enough at all. Five games in - only two against what I consider to be "good" teams and we are below 45%? That's actually a bit concerning.

I'm not worried about losing to Duke. We aren't losing to those doofuses. And we have a much bigger fish to fry the following weekend. But we better get some stuff cleaned up. In the stats I think are important, we are way behind schedule.
I assume the purpose of your second paragraph is to let us know how unimportant it is to be leading the nation in least amount of quarterback sacks. Using a horrible 1-4 New Mexico team as the team which we are tied for this statistical oddity.

I assume the purpose of your second paragraph is to let us know how unimportant it is to be leading the nation in least amount of quarterback sacks. Using a horrible 1-4 New Mexico team as the team which we are tied for this statistical oddity.
Its not that I think its unimportant - not giving up a single sack is impressive. 4 of our 5 opponents (VMI is not included) have recorded a total of 43 sacks - but zero against us and we pass a lot. I just thought New Mexico was a curiosity - they played @Arizona, @Auburn and Fresno St so a respectable schedule. They are 1-4 because they have a swiss cheese defense.

Our 3rd down conversion rate will be mediocre this Saturday too

because we won't have any 3rd downs

Ummmm hold up. We are tied for 16th at 9.2 yards per attempt so that does not line up with all of our passes being dinks/dunks.

Sure it does. It just means we complete a higher percentage of our passes. Because they are short.

We use wheel routes a lot. Which are yards after catch, making our in the air yardage pretty short.

As long as we're going to talk about football in a thread, wtf happened to the run game? Is the OL injured? Is J. Haynes injured? Is the OL just not as good as we thought? Combination of all of the above? Is your mom tiring out the team the night before?

As long as we're going to talk about football in a thread, wtf happened to the run game? Is the OL injured? Is J. Haynes injured? Is the OL just not as good as we thought? Combination of all of the above? Is your mom tiring out the team the night before?
Maybe we’re concentrating too much on pass blocking, and not enough on run blocking.

The best win is against GA State so I'm not going to count my chickens before they are hatched.

Maybe we’re concentrating too much on pass blocking, and not enough on run blocking.

I think this is the case. Teams have gotten the film on us and know how to stuff the inside run. We need to do more off tackle and outside stuff to exploit it.

Bama put on a clinic on run blocking out on the edge against the Dwags. Need something like that.

Another stat that has me both scratching my head and mildly concerned is the fact that we have not intercepted a single pass this year.

I think this is the case. Teams have gotten the film on us and know how to stuff the inside run. We need to do more off tackle and outside stuff to exploit it.

Bama put on a clinic on run blocking out on the edge against the Dwags. Need something like that.

Our run game improved vs UL when we started attempting and hitting those 10+ yard passes. Run game + short passing attack leads to a lot of bodies near the LOS.

Another stat that has me both scratching my head and mildly concerned is the fact that we have not intercepted a single pass this year.
My unscientific, unverified observation from the stands is that by design or otherwise, we’re seldom in position to make a play on the ball. Like, our guys are usually in the vicinity but behind the guy so they can make a tackle and limit the YAC but seldom in position to break up a pass or pick one.

JRjr

We do not give up sacks nor do we get sacks. A lot of this is due to scheme and our QB being mobile and making decisions on schedule. Our pass protection in obvious passing downs is not as good as you would expect based on our sacks allowed rating IMO.

We do not turnover the ball nor do we create turnovers. Given the lack of TO's on O, you would think we would have a healthy + in TO margin, but we don't. Have we just been very unlucky in not creating TO's on D or is this scheme related?

Haynes King seems to have a fair number of long passes compared to most QB's when you look at totals. King has a high completion %. Perhaps the yards per completion is weighed down and the completion % propped up because throws and completes shorter passes.
7th in 30+ yd passes
7th in 40+ yd passes
9th in 50+ yd passes

Back