Iowa-Tech should be good game

Being in Big Ten country, I've seen Iowa in several games and they are very beatable. They had to block two field goals at the end of the game to beat Northern Iowa, were down 20 to Indiana, and lost to Northwestern. The only quality teams they beat is Penn State. This is the best matchup that we could have hoped for.

When have we been able to get pressure on anyone?

When our defense is more athletic than their blockers. Happened against Duke and Virginia. Might happen against Iowa. Need Anderson back.

Being in Big Ten country, I've seen Iowa in several games and they are very beatable. They had to block two field goals at the end of the game to beat Northern Iowa, were down 20 to Indiana, and lost to Northwestern. The only quality teams they beat is Penn State. This is the best matchup that we could have hoped for.

Iowa beat #20 Arizona and @ #25 Wisconsin along with @ #13 Penn State. (two of the hardest stadiums to play at in the country.)

Their loss to Northwestern happened with starting QB out for 3 quarters and they lost by 7 points.
Their loss to Ohio State happened on the road in OT with a true freshman quarterback.

I'm not saying they're the best team in the country, but this football team is mature, smart, and experienced. This will be a very big challenge for us.

Ferentz is an Offensive Line guru if there ever was one.
Link: Meet Iowa's Offensive Line
~300 lbs average on the offensive line.

Iowa beat #20 Arizona and @ #25 Wisconsin along with @ #13 Penn State. (two of the hardest stadiums to play at in the country.)

Their loss to Northwestern happened with starting QB out for 3 quarters and they lost by 7 points.
Their loss to Ohio State happened on the road in OT with a true freshman quarterback.

I'm not saying they're the best team in the country, but this football team is mature, smart, and experienced. This will be a very big challenge for us.

Ferentz is an Offensive Line guru if there ever was one.
Meet Iowa's Offensive Line
~300 lbs average on the offensive line.

I'll give you Arizona, but the Big Ten was not very good this year top to bottom (much like the ACC). Iowa is big, but slow and their qb who was injured was prone to mistakes and will have been out two months by the OB. I like our chances. They played down to opponents and found ways to win, sometimes with the help of questionable officiating. They finished up with a 12-0 thrashing of a sorry Minnesota team who doesn't have any more size than GT.

What's up with the starting QB having ankle surgery? Apparently, he will probably play the OB, but their offense seems pretty modest. This seems like the best matchup we could get in a BCS bowl: an offense that doesn't have the weapons to blow us out, and a defense that will get CPJ's gears turning.

They are #11 in the country in total defense. In comparison, UNC is #6 and VT is #12. We scored 24 on UNC and 28 on VT.

Meanwhile, they average 23 points per game. With our defense, I would kick that up into the 24-28 range.

To say that we haven't seen a defense of their caliber is clearly wrong, but it won't be a blow out either.

We could easily give up 35 or more to Iowa. I see nothing that indicates they're a worse offense than Mississippi State, or Georgia, or Vanderbilt.

I hope he can, but I'm already convinced that a month doesn't help... even if, god forbid, he loses this game (which I don't think he will).

The reason why a month doesn't help? Look at Clemson. We've played them 3 times in 14 months or so, and they still aren't stopping us. And Clemson has a pretty good defense.

I guess it comes down to this. What is more helpful: playing against us multiple times or playing once but having a decent amount of time to prepare.

Well Clemson had both. The first game they played us they spent significant time in the offseason working on a defense for our offense. So they've seen us multiple times (more than anyone else) and have had time to prepare for us (offseason). And yet they still couldn't get it done any time they played us. :)

We could easily give up 35 or more to Iowa. I see nothing that indicates they're a worse offense than Mississippi State, or Georgia, or Vanderbilt.

Wommack seriously better get his you know what f*** rite for this game.

They don't have the playmakers on offense that has killed us this year, like Spiller. They are not that good running the ball and their QB throws a lot of int's. I don't think we struggle on defense as much this game.

We've made a lot of teams look incredible this year. What playmakers did Vandy have this year?

There's a LOT of practice that needs to happen between now an January, and I don't think we have much depth. Most of our games have been a struggle. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we don't have one for a change.

Iowa was undefeated until Stanzi (their starting QB) went down. Their backup (Vanderberg) is doing much better now...but not as strong as Stanzi. Stanzi is now ready to play again.

Iowa is #10 and wea re #9....should be even per national view.

Lastly...trust me in saying we would gain nothing by beating Boise State, Cincy, or TCU....even though I believe TCU is better than Texas. The problem with those games is all of the pre-game and during-game coverage is all about them...and not about the opponent. If they win...then the focus is whether they should have a shot at a national title...should there be a playoff...etc. If they lose...then they did not deserve to be in the BCS bowls.

I like the legitimacy of playing a Big 10 team that was co-champion (they lost the tie-break) for the year.

Iowa was undefeated until Stanzi (their starting QB) went down. Their backup (Vanderberg) is doing much better now...but not as strong as Stanzi. Stanzi is now ready to play again.

Iowa is #10 and wea re #9....should be even per national view.

Lastly...trust me in saying we would gain nothing by beating Boise State, Cincy, or TCU....even though I believe TCU is better than Texas. The problem with those games is all of the pre-game and during-game coverage is all about them...and not about the opponent. If they win...then the focus is whether they should have a shot at a national title...should there be a playoff...etc. If they lose...then they did not deserve to be in the BCS bowls.

I like the legitimacy of playing a Big 10 team that was co-champion (they lost the tie-break) for the year.

I agree...the risk/reward of getting TCU or Boise in our bowl game would have been awful.

Winning gets us nothing except the naysayers saying "See that's why Boise and TCU aren't in the NC game because when they play good opponents they aren't any good".

Whereas losing is very very bad, because people still don't want to admit that those teams are good, even though I agree I think TCU is the best team in Texas this year, so instead they will say "Yea but that was the ACC and they suck".

Back