It could happen

rain

Dodd-Like
Whisenhunt was injured and Ted Peeples played the fourth quarter. Mike Kelly started the game but was injured early. Even though he was a walk-on as well as a tight end, Whisenhunt replaced Kelly until he, too, was injured.
I did not remember that! Thanks for the correction. But we weren’t very deep at QB beyond Kelly anyway and it was a risky strategy in any event. But Curry wanted to win the thing- I was very happy with the tie and was nervous that we would throw a pick.

wishbone

Dodd-Like
44 years ago were were in the middle of a dismal season.
Then we beat ND without a single pass attempted. Lanier rolled out for one and got creamed- but he didn’t get to attempt a pass.
I don’t know the relative talent of both teams compared to this years two teams.
ND was ranked but not one of their best teams. We sucked.
It was homecoming. We had a record of consecutive homecoming wins going back to 1960- losing to Duke in 1959. Some dope scheduled ND for homecoming. Gary and Pepper beat #11 Irish 23-14. Irish beat #10 Alabama the next week and ended up 9-3.

The following year lost homecoming to Duke .

athensjacket

Varsity Lurker
It was homecoming. We had a record of consecutive homecoming wins going back to 1960- losing to Duke in 1959. Some dope scheduled ND for homecoming. Gary and Pepper beat #11 Irish 23-14. Irish beat #10 Alabama the next week and ended up 9-3.

One of the things I admire about the Jackets is that homecoming opponents seem to be scheduled without regard to their prowess, unlike almost all the other schools which make sure to schedule one of the weaker teams on the schedule. It seems we just get the schedule and mark down whomever falls in the middle of October. The scheduling has provided for some major upsets, most recently #6 FSU in 2015. (And unfortunately this year's debacle vs. Clemson, but the point is we ain't afraid of nobody).

rain

Dodd-Like

You must be my age- I was at both. Dook spoiled what was shaping up to be quite a season. But the wheels came off after that.