It's not how you start, it's how you finish !

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It\'s not how you start, it\'s how you finish !

I believe Coach Gailey himself used this quote earlier in the year, though I am sure many others have used it as well. The facts are we did not finish well losing 3 of our last 4 games. I remember many on here said they would judge Coach Gailey on how the team progresses throughout the year and while some very good progress was noted in mid year, it appears we peaked on October 23rd at the Maryland game. It was clear that we had much to gain as we went to Durham to face a Duke team we outmanned and should have handled easily. We did rally to take out UNC who is another poor team this year but we just did not get the job done in Chralotteville or at home this past Saturday.

There is no doubt that Coach Gailey will be here next year and probably beyond that if Braine stays in power. I will support him as long as he is in place. I am concerned with the way this year finished out. I am very concerned about playing Boise State in the Humanitarian Bowl and how we match up against that particular team. I feel we could have done better with the players and talent we had on this team and I feel like we did not get the best out of this group. I think that is a direct reflection on the Head Coach and it concerns me that while Chan is a good man he is just not the right man for Georgia Tech.

I will continue to hope for the best but remain concerned that what we have seen so far is what we are in store for. Mediocrity.

Go Jackets!

Re: It\'s not how you start, it\'s how you finish !

More importantly, Braine is not the man for GT!!!

I remember when DB was hired, someone on The Hive said he was coming here to sabotage our program. That, of course, is an exaggeration. However, his competency is what I question.

we started 1-3 as well, what's you point?

Good questions Jerry.

I will be more to the point.

Georgia wasn't particularly "older" than us, and we continue to use the "young" excuse. Well, typically, a young team plays better at the end. We were going backwards, just like last year.

Clemson is an example of a strong finish.

No, Chan is not the answer for Georgia Tech. Neither is David Braine.

The Tech community remains divided. A million bucks can buy you a coach that can generate enthusiasm, bring people together and beat your arch rival.

jerry, i am in total agreement with you. if mediocrity is your expectations chan is your man. get used to being in the humiliation bowls.

jerry, i am in total agreement with you. if mediocrity is your expectations chan is your man. get used to being in the humiliation bowls.

To Chanisdaman:

My point is that even though we started slow (1-3 as you point out) we began to improve and won 4 in a row and should have built some positive momentum, however we finished 1-3, just like we started. My statement as to it's not how you start but how you finish is a comment on how our season went. We were no better at the finish than we were at the beginning. Not the kind of progress you look for in a team that is growing and getting better with experience.

Father Wasp's example of Clemson illustrates the kind of progress a team that is well coached and playing as a team can make toward the end of a season. While I detest Clemson, I must commend them on righting their ship and kicking some butt down the home stretch (including FSU). As you might recall they were most unkind to us as well in kicking our butt right on our home field to the tune of the worst defeat suffered by Tech vs. Clemson in that long and storied series.

Bottomline, we did not continue to improve down the home stretch, in fact we regressed.

Go Jackets!

the sooner we get rid of Braine the better

clough first, then braine, lastly Chan, BUT if we are humiliated in the Humanitarian it will hit the fan & Chan. Losing will bee a humiliation.

Textinger do you really think so? I do not.

We continue to endure the humiliations(Duke,Fresno, Georgia, etc. etc) but I expect there are a few, seminar prepped types who really see no tipping point at which to call for change.

Georgia ran us out again and it seems not to matter. How bad can getting beat in the Humanitarian and finishing with a losing record be?

Before the year was even over Braine and Gailey saw fit to go fishing and declare everything a success. That was encouraging. Richt had a 51-7 under his belt and we are fishing rather than watching film or doing something related to the game. I doubt seriously they view this trip to Idaho as something important.

Back