It's time for CCG to get creative again...

goldtoof

Varsity Lurker
It\'s time for CCG to get creative again...

don't know what it will be this time, but I look for something of the magnitude of the Hollings and Ball moves to really make things interesting. All really good/great coaches are constantly looking or being advised by others for special opportunities. CCG has shown he will play a long shot as needed and that's good.

Re: It\'s time for CCG to get creative again...

Good post. It does seem like it's about time for "Fearless Leader" to pull another rabbit out of his hat.

CCG has proven that he has the capacity to come up with timely and prudent moves and is not hesitant to do so.

I've always thought (in my wildest dreams) Houston to RB. Such is speculation and we have a HC that keeps it interesting.

What will Chan do next?

Developing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

I was looking at his bio on Insiders.

6'0", 200 - and ran a 4.45 out of high school. No doubt he has the tools to be a quality RB, so here is the issue.

There are a lot of guys that can play tailback. There are VERY FEW that can play CB. In my opinion, CB is, by far, the most difficult position on the field. I also think Reuben is very under rated as a CB. That guy is a stud in a position that is precious, even for the FSU's of the world.

Reuben is 195-200 pounds which means he can stop the run a bit better than the average corner when needed also. He could play safety, but our safeties couldn't play corner like he can.

Even the dynasty teams go whole seasons with out '2' good cover corners. We've had seasons without even 1 good corner. It's like quarterback (or a box of chocolates) - you never know what you're going to get.

Right now we have 2 'good' corners, and a capable back up that runs a 4.35 40 (in Davis). It's rare.

If I had to guess, based on what I saw last year, Scott will have game-changing plays quite a few times this year, but also give up a few huge plays because of his OVERconfidence. I could see him getting burned a few times going for the big play before he finds the fine lines between conservative and aggressive CB play. I haven't actually seen the guy at corner, but I remember how many times he just 'had' to take the ball out of the end zone on kick offs when he was deep inside last year. I expect similar problems with overconfidence at CB (early) - but he'll get it figured out and be a good one.

When Chan Gailey says Scott is good, he's probably pretty good. Chan is pretty hard to please in the talent evaluation department.

At RB I like Samson, PJ, Grant, Woods, Eziemefe, (probably) Gause, and all kinds of folks.

Houston could be a great tailback for all I know. Trying RH at tailback isn't a bad idea, but trying someone besides him at CB scares me silly.

Unless he is a Herschell or Bo, I want to keep him where he is. I trust PJ's back ups more than Reuben's.

Yeah I can agree with that. I play CB in high school. I know its different, but in high school, I think most people who don't know a lot about football see CBs as the kids who can't play anything else. CB is a very tough position. The hardest thing to do in football IMO is to cover a reciever one on one. If you get beat, the other team score, is what it basically comes down to. Also IMO, CBs are the best athletes on the team in general, so no doubt Houston could have a shot at RB, but I must agree and say that we need him on a defensive with a few big questions rather than on offense, where we have a lot of promising and established RBs already.

I\'m concerned about the RB position...

Single back sets are vulnerable to several issues, so I agree with speculation about the RB position, who will really perform when (not if) asked? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekhair.gif

Re: I\'m concerned about the RB position...

We won't move RH to running back this year when we have a guy who went 306 in a bowl game and led the ACC in rushing. With woods backing PJ up I think we will have one of the best ground games in the ACC.

But do you guys consider Reis to LB the shocking move? I don't, largely in part because we have a shortage their, whereas with Ball we had Bilbo and Suggs. Beut maybe Gailey has already made his move.

Back