Ivy League Cancels Fall Sports

The Ivy League folding their basketball tournament set off a domino effect in March. Everyone enjoys holding the power over others. The talking heads on sports media programs love that they pressured folks to cancel sports in March. They will do it again now. For the first time I now doubt we have a college football season.

The Ivy League folding their basketball tournament set off a domino effect in March. Everyone enjoys holding the power over others. The talking heads on sports media programs love that they pressured folks to cancel sports in March. They will do it again now. For the first time I now doubt we have a college football season.
This öööö right here. We are all in deep öööö.

Why would the sports media want to kill sports? They are hanging on by a thread talking about whether we will have them or not. If football is cancelled you will start seeing more layoffs and alternative programming to fill the void and some of those talking heads will be looking for something else to do.

Last edited:
SC private schools are talking about jumbling the sports schedule to have ‘low contact’ sports play in the fall and ‘high contact’ sports in the spring. So baseball and football switching places. Tennis, volleyball, golf, cross country would be in the fall. Then basketball, soccer, football, etc later.

That will probably end up with some sort of logjam in the spring wrt fields.

Stanford just eliminated a bunch of varsity sports and Ohio State rolled back practices. Football in the Fall not looking great IMO.

Completely different situation. Lot of things we still don’t know about the virus, but we were flying completely blind at that point. Not to mention football $ >> basketball $.

We might not have FBS football, but it sure as hell isnt gonna be because the Ivy League decided they didn’t want to lose money playing their season. This decision means absolutely nothing for FBS college football.

I don’t see the SEC not playing in some capacity. And any team/conference that doesn’t play while other do is gonna be hamstrung for a long while. Severe losses of revenue from tv deals, no experience gained from current players, players transferring out with guaranteed waivers, no marketing/publicity, recruiting classes bailing.

Like if the PAC-12 sits while everybody else plays you might as well change it to the P4 because they won’t be able to field competent teams relative to everybody else for a decade.

Last edited:
Stanford just eliminated a bunch of varsity sports and Ohio State rolled back practices. Football in the Fall not looking great IMO.

Again, they’re eliminating sports that lose them money. Those are obvious decisions. If you’re cash-strapped you cut the non-essentials. You don’t quit your damn job.

Last edited:
SC private schools are talking about jumbling the sports schedule to have ‘low contact’ sports play in the fall and ‘high contact’ sports in the spring. So baseball and football switching places. Tennis, volleyball, golf, cross country would be in the fall. Then basketball, soccer, football, etc later.

That will probably end up with some sort of logjam in the spring wrt fields.
I wonder if attendance would increase?

Why would the sports media want to kill sports? They are hanging on by a thread talking about whether we will have them or not. If football is cancelled you will start seeing more layoffs and alternative programming to fill the void and some of those talking heads will be looking for something else to do.

ESPN before Covid: The #1 play of the day is this amazing low-res photo that Lebron tweeted of his dessert!

ESPN after Covid: The #1 play of the day is this amazing low-res photo that Lebron tweeted of his dessert!

Back