"Jacket Jubilation"

C

Crazy4tech

\"Jacket Jubilation\"

To help us through these months without football, every week or so I will post some of the most amazing Tech football games I have ever witnessed. This weeks is from Oct. 17th, 1998 when we beat UVa in Atlanta thanks to Dez White and Joe Hamilton. I remember helping tear down the South goal post then carrying it down BD Way. What a game!!

"Unbelievable. Georgia Tech pulled off a miracle in the Saturday night twilight, coming back from three touchdowns behind to knock off 7th ranked UVA 41-38 in front of a giddy 46,018 at BDS.

Virgina kicker Todd Braverman's 54 yard field goal attempt dropped just short with 21 seconds left, leaving the scoreboard locked at 41-38, the same score by which Tech spoiled Virginia's national championship hopes in 1990 at Charlottesville. That's the last time the goal posts had come down at BDS, althought the game was on the road, Tech studens broke into the stadium to perform the deed and they came down again Sat. night as the happpy crowd spilled onto the field and into the street. "That score sounds familiar," said Tech coach O'Leary, who as the D coordinator the last time the Yellow Jackets had a win of the magnitute. "What can you say, a great college game. It a tough game to lose and a great game to win."

The victory kept alive Tech's hopes for its first ACC title since 1990. The 25th ranked Jackets (5-1, 4-0 ACC) will welcome #6 FSU into Atlanta next week with a chance to strengthen their hold of first place.

"Being a part of this game is like being part of a change." said Tech qb Joe Hamilton, who came back from a first half knee sprain to throw a pair of touchdown passes to Dez White in the last 8 minutes. "Being a part of Georgia Tech football on the rise. We came out a fought. WE believed we could win from the get-go."

Re: \"Jacket Jubilation\"

As great as that game was, all I can think of is the defense was an absolute sieve. It took an incredible offensive and special team effort because Ted Roof was running our defense. Imagine what could have been if Tenuta were running the defenses in those days...

Thanks Crazy!

My strongest memory of that that game was the future Mrs. pocket_watch sitting my ass down when I headed for the exit at 21-0 nose pickers.
Greatest comeback game I ever witnessed!

Thanks again.

That\'s funny....

because when I think of the defense in that game, I think about how they were indeed a sieve most of the game, but came up big when it counted. They returned Brooks' fumble for a TD and then late in the game when we were down 38-33, UVA needed about 6 inches to get a first down. Thomas Jones must've been averaging about 10 yards a carry (alittle sarcasm - but not much) but we stuffed him on that play when we desperately needed it. We got the ball back and the rest is history.

I was there, sitting 3 rows behind the UVA bench...when they ran onto the field, they ran all the way down to where the Wreck was waiting to lead the team onto the field and jumped on it...they were trash talking to the fans in the stands and to the players...but when the momentum turned and Joe and Dez were unstoppable, they were silent and wouldn't even turn around to our taunts. Sweeeeet!

Re: That\'s funny....

in regards to the D, I will never forget Nate Stimson (sp?) running throught the Uva O-lineman and forcing their qb Brooks to ground the ball which drew a Huge penalty. Had we not forced Brooks to ground the ball, their kicker (had a hell of a leg) would have probably made the fg to force OT. Instead, because of the penalty the fg fell a few inches short and we went Nuts!!!

that game was easily the most memorable of any of the ones I went to as a student. I remember people leaving for the exits early in the second half when it seemed that GT was heading for a rather ugly defeat.

The 54 yd FG at the end, landed dead even with where I was sitting that day.

BTW, wasn't that the game in which Wes Durham made his famous "Oh Charlie, Oh Charlie" call when Rogers returned that punt for a TD?

Yes it was, Charlie Rogers #3 returned a punt 54 yards and "Kim, I don't think Virginia thought he was gonna run it back." CHARLIE, CHARLIE, OHHHHHHH CHARLIE!!!!!

Grant Field was absolutely rocking!

Remember that this was the game that the UVA player hit the Tech student on the field afterwards.

You are absolutely correct, sir....

how could I leave out Stimson forcing that grounding call. It was absolutely crucial. The defense gave up huge yardage and did not look very good for most of the day. But when they needed to bow up they came up HUGE.

My freshman year....

Oh what a great night that was. I have lots of great memories from my freshman year, but that game has to be right up there near the top. Good times...

Re: My freshman year....

Not to take anything at all away from our incredible comeback but if memory serves, The nose-picker is nearly famous for 4th quarter blow ups.
I think that was the same year uva fell apart against uga in their bowl game.

Bravo Crazy4Tech

This is a great idea you had!!! Thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories.

Back