Jahaziel Lee in transfer portal

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Well, that explains him not on the ATL

gtrower

Dodd-Like
What a weird story. OL starter to Collins talking him up as an “NFL DT talent,” to BTL, to portal.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
What a weird story. OL starter to Collins talking him up as an “NFL DT talent,” to BTL, to portal.
He never got talked up as "NFL DT talent." CGC said that if Lee wanted to try to make it in the NFL, his best shot would be at DT. That does not = NFL talent. Best wishes to Lee though. Always was a team player and played wherever coaches asked him to.

JJacket

I figure there will be more, being everyone gets a free year and we need room for the recruiting class.

It is probably a way to free up scholarships and to give Lee a jump on other players in the portal.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Good on him for graduating. Curious as to the reasoning though.
I would guess lack of PT/couldn't move up the depth chart. I would think they may have known it was coming for some time now. It also helps explain Dingle adding weight and now being ATL at DT. Reports were he was pushing Clayton at DE in the spring/early fall. I don't know if Clayton finally just pulled away or if they saw better fit for Dingle to bulk up and move inside, but that explains why he hasn't seen the field much yet either. Could have been transitioning his body and learning the DT spot.

JJacket

I would guess lack of PT/couldn't move up the depth chart. I would think they may have known it was coming for some time now. It also helps explain Dingle adding weight and now being ATL at DT. Reports were he was pushing Clayton at DE in the spring/early fall. I don't know if Clayton finally just pulled away or if they saw better fit for Dingle to bulk up and move inside, but that explains why he hasn't seen the field much yet either. Could have been transitioning his body and learning the DT spot.
All of our ATL DL, other than Clayton, are freshmen and sophomores

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I figure there will be more, being everyone gets a free year and we need room for the recruiting class.

It is probably a way to free up scholarships and to give Lee a jump on other players in the portal.
Yeah this makes sense.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Midseason transfer portal entries are really weird to me.

Even the dude we just got from Texas. I don’t understand not waiting until the season is over and then doing it.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
6th year seniors that don't start probably shouldn't tie up a scholly.... Likely it was mutual. Lee wanted more PT and CGC could use his spot.

I'm proud of him getting his degree. That's why he was here. That will set him up to do whatever he wants to do for his career.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I'm proud of him getting his degree. That's why he was here. That will set him up to do whatever he wants to do for his career.
Its not a bad outcome to pick up a GT BS then an MS from another good academic school for free.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like

Even the dude we just got from Texas. I don’t understand not waiting until the season is over and then doing it.
Like was mentioned before, possibly he thinks getting a jump start on others entering the portal gives him a better chance to get a spot somewhere he would want.

Also, possibly if he's already graduated then he could drop his classes for the fall and coast until January?...not sure if he really could do that.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like

If your mind is made up that your future isn't with that team, you don't want to risk an injury that might jeopardize your next opportunity. Even if you aren't playing much, could happen in practice. Plus, this year, nobody will lose a year of eligibility.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
If your mind is made up that your future isn't with that team, you don't want to risk an injury that might jeopardize your next opportunity. Even if you aren't playing much, could happen in practice.
Of course the corollary is that if you’re just sitting around on your ass you might not get hurt but you’re surely not getting any better

The Champ

Dodd-Like
There’s always the chance he doesn’t get picked up, and returns to the team. Correct?

not sure there will be a huge market for him

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Like was mentioned before, possibly he thinks getting a jump start on others entering the portal gives him a better chance to get a spot somewhere he would want.
This is the answer for a player like Lee.

For situations like that of Watson that we just picked up from Texas, or any other highly regarded player that most anyone would make room for, the only reasoning I can think of would be *in case* the NCAA does not vote to approve the one time free transfer rule, then I believe his 365 day clock starts when he makes that decision and stops being involved with team activity at his prior school. If I understand it correctly, if for some reason he does not get an approval to play immediately, he will be able to play after 10/12/2021 regardless.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp

Don't have to go to practice if you're not on the team. Idk?