Jan Kemp, ex-UGA whistleblower, dead at 59

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...mp_obituary.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

I will never allow my UGA friends to forget this.

The six-week civil trial captured national headlines, and the seamy details of how a college football powerhouse recruited functionally illiterate athletes led to the resignation of longtime university president Fred Davison.

UGA attorney Hale Almand, in his opening remarks to the jury, set an unfortunate tone: “We may not make a university student out of him, but if we can teach him to read and write, maybe he can work at the post office rather than as a garbage man when he gets through with his athletic career.”

Secretly taped at a faculty meeting, then-remedial studies boss Leroy Ervin told his staff: “I know for a fact that these kids would not be here if it were not for their utility to the institution… . They are used as a kind of raw material in the production of some goods to be sold as whatever product, and they get nothing in return.”

I knew first-hand of two high school teammates who were in the "remedial studies" program. One seldom if ever attended class and the other never graduated high school.

My condolences to the Kemp family.

This makes me sick. We need another newspaper in Atlanta that isn't so biased toward UGAg. By stating that UGAg recruited illiterate athletes and got in trouble for it, the AUC is implying that the average UGAg student is, in fact, literate. How can a paper ethically print such lies?

I'm not asking this just for UGA-hate. But seriously, how does a University (sic) rig grades just for athletes and NOT go through an NCAA investigation?

I'm not asking this just for UGA-hate. But seriously, how does a University (sic) rig grades just for athletes and NOT go through an NCAA investigation?
Dooley and Ugag had the "GOODS" on somebody--and He pulled those NCAA strings--at least that's what I heard at the time--nothing else made sense!!--even THAT made no sense!:D

For all you "youngsters", at that time athletes were not tracked to see if they were on course to graduate in a certain time period or if they were even making passing grades to advance to the next level. By taking remedial classes they could prove the athlete was enrolled in school and actually going to class.However, in most situations some of the athletes couldn't get out of remedial classes and would merely repeat year after year until all their eligibility was used up. After that, UGA would just show them to the door and dump them on the world. Kemp exposed UGA for that practice. I remember well Larry Munson stating that Jan Kemp was trying to cripple UGA football!! What a joke!

Back