JU drops football ... ex-Jacket affected

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
Jacksonville University announced this morning it will cease playing football immediately.
Former Tech LB Steven Sylvester is the running backs coach and special teams coordinator.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
Jacksonville University announced this morning it will cease playing football immediately.
Former Tech LB Steven Sylvester is the running backs coach and special teams coordinator.
It would be nice to find a way to bring him home to GT

DinnerJacket

Slowly eroding every brain cell
This is Jacksonville University NOT Jacksonville State ( whom we played ).

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
Jacksonville University of Jacksonville, Fl. They play in the Pioneer League. School is better know for Artis Gilmore and a Final Four team about 50 years ago. Even with Artis and another 7 footer beside him they couldn't take down UCLA during the Wooden run.

Jacksonville State is in Alabama and a member of the Ohio Valley conference. They play good football there.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Jacksonville University of Jacksonville, Fl. They play in the Pioneer League. School is better know for Artis Gilmore and a Final Four team about 50 years ago. Even with Artis and another 7 footer beside him they couldn't take down UCLA during the Wooden run.

Jacksonville State is in Alabama and a member of the Ohio Valley conference. They play good football there.
I remember. Pembrook Burrows. Also Rex Morgan and a coupla others.

JU football has been very minor league. Andy Jones is a wr on the NFL fringes but that's about it. Probably best but a shame to close it down.

Last edited:

Vespidie

Dodd-Like

The Afro, gotee, and side burns. That was a sight to see on a college dude at the time.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
I met Steven Sylvester late at night after the team lost to VT on a kick return for a touchdown. They scored 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter for a come from behind victory. I remember it was as cold as a witch’s tit and I waited a long time for the team to return from Blacksburg outside the north end zone to cheer them on. It was a little after 1am when they got back. Sylvester was the only one on the team who came up to me to say thanks for being there. The players shuffled by to get their stuff out of the locker room or went straight to their car at Peters. CPJ went straight to his car in the adjacent lot. Sylvester was a class act and it was a nice moment to meet him. I hope he finds a new home.

georgytech

Varsity Lurker
Pembroke Borrows the other 7 footer became a Florida State trooper.
Saw Art is Gilmore when he was at Gardner Webb when they came to play ABAC in Tifton.GW was one of the best Jr college basketball teams in the country & it was said they had 5 high school All Americans on the team. I saw Gilmore leap up to block a shot turn in mid air & slam the backboard with both hands, the rim was below his elbows. Had never seen anything like it. They beat ABAC which was one of the better juco teams in the state back then bringing in players from KY & Indiana

oldgold68

Bitter old man
Wasn't Artis and the white kid nicknamed "Batman and Robin"? Saw them play against one of Whack's teams at the tit.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Wasn't Artis and the white kid nicknamed "Batman and Robin"? Saw them play against one of Whack's teams at the tit.
That was against the Yunkus / Thorne team. A great game.

JU coach Joe Williams. Country as heck and, I think, wore those white shoes.