Jury acquits UGAG's Brandon Williams of all charges

Goldtimer

Varsity Lurker
Jury acquits UGAG\'s Brandon Williams of all charges

For details, see two articles in the DAILY BUZZ:
http://www.gojackets.com/dailybuzz/index.php

Ch. 11 gives news of the acquittal.

The Athens Banner-Herald article gives yesterday's testimony. The AJC article (published later) gives some of today's testimony.

I saw a little of the closing arguments replied on TV. The prosecuting attorney asserted the young lady made it clear she did not want it. According to reports, she testified she didn't know what to say. BW says she never said no.

Frankly, I'm not surprised.

Will be interesting to see what the majority of female students feel about this.

BTW, this was moved to the Water Cooler forum on the new Hive after I posted it before 9AM. Watch for several others to post the "news" after they see it on the 10PM and 11PM news.

Re: Jury acquits UGAG\'s Brandon Williams of all charges

PS...and it doesnt hurt to have former bulldog Kim Stephens defending you and handing out prizes.
BOO

It's a complicated case. I want to believe all the facts were presented, and the jury made weighed them fairly in coming to a decision. On the other hand, the statement by their foremen that "lives are at stake" leads me to believe they were very reluctant to destroy the young man's life by sending him up the river for 20 years. But what about the young girl? If she didn't resist or say no, was it OK to hide in the closet then come out and do her? Does the fact BW told police he was not "aroused" and did not do anything, yet the lab tests show he did, tell us anything about whether he is trying to cover up something? Does society consider something like this less serious than a man attacking a woman in a back street? Or did the girl simply have second thoughts later? Or were there simply not enough undisputed facts to clearly prove he was guilty, no matter how probalbe it appears?

It's a very interesting case, dealing with many issues common in society today.

I'm sure lawbee will have some wisdom on various legal issues.
I have 3 daughters (and 2 DILs), and I don't think I can be accused of Neanderthal attitudes toward gender, but I agree with the acquittal, judging on what we have seen in the paper. The woman put herself in a position-a "date" in a private room, impaired by alcohol or drugs, consensual sex with a person who might allow just this kind of "buddy in the closet" crap, and then an ambiguous response (at best) to TWO guys- such that it is hard to characterize what happened to her as "rape". The men involved are not who I want dating my daughters, but that is partly the point: you don't "date' guys like this without some idea of what's possible.

My $.02

I have not read any of the facts of the case yet. I am sure I will be hearing more in the future. Usually the winning lawyer speaks at some conference that I will be attending.

Here is some quick observations about the crime of rape and the jurisdiction (athens) which I have tried cases in.

1. Rape is the most NON-REPORTED and FALSE REPORTED crime in US

2. a Jury will LOOK for reasonable doubt. This young lady went to a male dorm (at night?). From what I had heard initially was that it was consensual with one of them. I do not know if that was accurate b/c it was from the media. "Date" rape is always going to be a tough conviction.

3. I have heard that the Athens D. A. Maulden is WEAK. That in of itself could be enough to cost him the conviction. It would have been an enormous feather in his cap to win the case. He has had difficulties since his election.

If this is something that interests everyone I will try to read up on the case and post my thoughts.

Dore-Dawg probably knows more about the case. He works in my office and I will get him to post his thoughts.

I am currently preparing for my own trials that I think may go on Monday.

All the authorities (Athl. Dept., APD, UGA adm. and grand jury) went to great lengths to ensure that no one could say that these guys got any preferential treatment as UGA athletes. Being athletes probably actually worked against them. If this incident had played out at a frat house or non-athletic dorm I doubt it gets anywhere near a trial. Anyway I'm proud UGA, law enforcement and the Athens court system took the high road, gave the girl's serious accusations proper respect, and let judicial due process run its course. Its been an unfortunate matter but I think some good will come out of it if some students and S-As learn some lessons in personal responsibility.

All I'm going to say is that I know people close to K.S.. Inside scoop is not the same as outside poop. If you are a UGA fan, rest assured that your donations are going to good causes. Sleep well.
BOO

BDG,

Nobody is saying that there is not some heavy influence floating around.

I went to a conference and heard Tony Martin's (atlanta falcon receiver) lawyer talk about putting Dan Marino in the first row and watching the women swoon in the jury.

Win you have money (or prestige, power, etc.) there is a different type of justice. I think what most of us feel in the legal community is this from the state's perspective was a shaky case at best and a "dawg loser" at worst.

There were MANY reasons the jury could have found reasonable doubt based on the facts.

Like I said earlier this girl was not on her way to Sunday School when she met up with these men.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Money talks and rapist walks
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's ridiculous. Without observing the demeanor of the alleged victim and hearing all the evidence, no one here can give an informed opinion about whether or not the jury got it right. That the jury only deliberated for 2 1/2 hours, which is not very long, shows that there must have been a consensus early on in the deliberations. Obviously, they didn't feel there was evidence of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt sufficient to send someone away for a minimum of 10 years in prison.

However, "not guilty" beyond a reasonable doubt does not necessarily mean innocence either, and I think the school should expel him. At the very least, he obstructed justice when he lied to police about having sex, which DNA evidence clearly disproved.

The DA, Ken Mauldin, should have charged him with giving false statements to police, which is a felony carrying up to 5 years in prison. Mauldin was one of my professors in law school and I was not impressed with him. IMO, he dropped the ball by not charging him with this.

For those who think that these athletes got a "hometown" verdict, keep in mind these reported facts: (1) alleged victim gave a written affidavit in which she said she had sex with them, but did not state that she was raped; (2) according to her own testimony, after the incident, she told Cole that he might need to change the sheets, and she did not leave the dorm room until Cole said he had to see another woman (raising the possibility that she got mad and later fabricated the rape charges); (3) after incident, she went to her dorm where she watched TV and helped another student with Spanish homework (4) her mother, not her, reported this to police.

On the other hand, if I were serving as a juror, these facts would have given me pause before I voted for not guilty: (1) the story about him being in the closet looking for clothes is not believable (2) he lied to police about fondling her but not having sex, but DNA showed that he did have sex (3) he lied to his teamate Veal, saying that she said no and he left and nothing happened.

Date rape cases are very tough b/c it often comes down to a swearing match between two people, and their credibility at trial is what it all boils down to. Did the jury get it right? Who knows. if they didn't, it won't be the first time, just look at the 100 plus death penalty convictions that have been overturned by DNA evidence.

As to the former Bulldog comments about the defense lawyer, take note that Steve Sadow, an Emory law grad. and one of the best lawyers anywhere, agreed to represent Tony Cole pro bono (free of charge), thus belying your opinion that this is all about money.

Back