just for fun...

G

Geetee

which scenario would you pick if it came down to these two choices...

1) GT stay in an expanded ACC.

2) GT rejoin the SEC, if invited.

Neither! Pull out of the conference with North Carolina and Duke and form a completely different conference with those willing to join.

smile.gif

GT stay in the expanded ACC. If I could pick the three teams to invite it would be,
1) Miami
2) VT
3) BC

If and when the SEC gets down on their knees and begs TECH to come back, No. 2

In other words, No. 1.

Since we are playing "just for fun", I would like this arrangement for a new conference. I am not naive enough to think this could happen easily, but it is wishful thinking.

I will leave out North Carolin, Duke, Virginia, and Virginia Tech, because all of these schools, in one way or the other, are holding back the expansion of the ACC.

Of course, this would take a few teams stepping out of their present conferences. I really don't think two of these schools are that entrenched in their respective conferences.

I think Penn State was just looking for a convenient conference when they joined the Big Ten. Either the Big Ten needs to add Notre Dame or Penn State needs to switch over to the North Eastern schedule of teams.

South Carolina is not as entrenched in the SEC as most of the other teams. They have been out of it in the past.

North Division

Boston College
Maryland
Syracuse
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia

South Division

Georgia Tech
Clemson
South Carolina
NCSU
Miami
FSU

I have thought about the possibility of teams from the same State knocking each other out of the championship game. It really is insignificant in the big scheme. If you are good enough to be the champs, you need to beat your in-State rival.

For instance Clemson could lose to a South Carolina, win the rest of their games, still have a great season, and go to a major bowl. So, it really is no big deal.

The same with FSU and Miami.

How about a season with this sample schedule, assuming we play six games within the league.

GT vs Vanderbilt (OOC), Rotate Kentucky
GT vs Miami
GT vs Ole Miss (OOC), Rotate LSU
GT vs Clemson
GT vs Auburn (OOC)
GT vs NCSU
GT vs Tennessee (OOC)
GT vs FSU
GT vs Alabama (OOC), Rotate Florida
GT vs Boston College, Rotate N. Division team
GT vs South Carolina
GT vs UGA (OOC) Make UGA the doormat

This schedule would sell out BDS every year. I may be old, but I still can dream.

wink.gif

As far as scheduling OOC games go, I'd love to see us play Tennessee or Bama, but why not schedule a team that we played in '99 and '00. Bring back the UCF Golden Knights. They played us great in 2000 and Brian Lee's TD was a great memory. They are now in the MAC, and they are ranked preseason top 50. This year they travel to Blacksburg, VA and Morgantown, W VA. Last year they played Penn State and Syracuse and only lost by 3 in each of those games. I'd love to add the Knights if they would play us next year at BDS!

I'd rejoin the SEC if it was up to me, but it isn't, of course. The main reason is that we would then play a meaningful, conference game against UGAg, freeing up a spot on the schedule to regularly play Notre Dame (while I'm wishing). Every once and a while it's good to throw fish at someone. Also, if Clemson went with us, it would be soooo close to go see away games at Jordan-Hare, Bryant Denny, Sanford and Memorial (Death Vally? HA!). It's not too much further to Neyland if you like sitting in someone's lap during the game. I swear that place would hold about 85,000 if it wasn't for the machocist that arranged the seating there. Plus, the site of the SEC championship is dangerously close to campus. I think we would like making trips there every year or so. Also, it wouldn't take too many years to catch back up to UGAg's SEC championships. We're still up on them in Sugar Bowl victories. Who said it takes UGA to spell sugar?
The above schedule looks good to me. No offense, but no how matter how well UCF plays us, they still are not gonna draw a crowd to BDS.

Regardless of the 2 choices we should do everything we can, including throwing away our delusional pride, and try to get back in the SEC. The problem is, even if the possibility were to exist, experience shows we would bee too stupid to take advantage of it.

texstinger, you avoided my question on another string so maybe you'll answer it here. I'd like to be in the SEC too. If you can figure out how to get them to invite us when they've clearly said they don't want to expand now, cover the $7.2M or so exit fee to the ACC, pay whatever the entrance fee is to the SEC and cover our budget then you may just be smarter than anybody at Tech. But you keep harping on the stupidity of the people in charge now. So we're stupid for not accepting an invite we don't have? Or are we stupid because we can't talk them into inviting us? Just can't figure out what you're talking about or whether it's just another random rant.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Neither! Pull out of the conference with North Carolina and Duke and form a completely different conference with those willing to join.

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good idea and expansion to 12 but no SEC! We have more class/academics to be in the SEC!

Back