Just heard on ESPN radio that.....

bizzybee

Damn Good Rat
if Miami does not join, then invitation to VT will be rescinded. He (Todd Wright, I believe) said Miami is quite peeved that BC and SU are not included and is seriously considering not joining. He also said that since expansion would not take effect until 2005, the 30th is not deadline and Miami will not decide by then.

This guy pauses 2 or 3 seconds between words, maybe a speech impediment or just for "dramatic" effect. I do not know anything about his sources or his credibility.

That really chaps my butt. If this all falls through with Miami, and I think it will, then Tech, Clemson, and Fla.State need to get the hell out of the ACC. Let it be the wussy league that Cryshefski and crew want it to be.

Miami has a tough situation in its decision. I will place my self in their shoes.

I am looking at the possibility of joining the ACC with three turn-coats of Virginia, North Carolina, and Duke. If I were them, I would not even want to be in the same league with those three.

I also would not want to be in the same league with former Big East associate Virginia Tech, who had a suit against expansion, while at the same time, they were trying to undercut Syracuse and Boston College.

With friends like this, who needs enemies?

If I were Miami, I would not want to throw my allegiance to Syracuse and Boston College aside just for my own benefit. Their pact was for all three to join the ACC.

The only thing going for Miami in the ACC, as opposed to staying in the Big East, is the fact of being closer to its opponents. At least, they do not have to fly to the Northeast on every road game.

However, since they will probably fly to any other destination from Miami, I guess the Big East travel is not a critical point.

The one big issue I cannot fathom from the Big East is their insistance on keeping Miami. Every team in their league has to travel a huge distance to play them. If I were the Big East, I would be glad to replace Miami with a team closer to the Big East.

As I mentioned in another post, do not be surprised if the Big East starts trying to persuade Maryland to leave the ACC and join the their league in the future.

wink.gif

yes but you missed a few points on the other side as well:

1. Miami's Shalala does not have Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese's number on her speed dial. She hates the man and was quite miffed at some of the comments he's made over the past month.

2. Miami is also upset at revenue sharing with Notre Dame and various other schools who do NOT PLAY FOOTBALL in the Big East but get a piece of the pie for their hoops participation.

But the most important reason, (and you're kidding yourselves if you think otherwise) is simply the $$$$.

It's now known that the Big East has sent some "revamped" financial offers down to South Beach in an attempt to get them to stay. Will any of those offers be worth it monetarily to stay? I don't think so. Even with the larger TV market, you still only warrant 1 BCS bid if the NCAA refuses to go to the playoff system. The Big East would have to expand and bring in at LEAST 2 football powerhouses to warrant a second bid.

HOWEVER, by joining the ACC, you join a conference that is one school away (and it doesn't even have to be a powerhouse) from getting the $$$$$ from a conference championship game PLUS a second BCS bid.

It makes more sense financially and I think that's what they are going to discover in their board meetings today and tomorrow.

What are the odds that John Swofford and Mike Tranghese are honorary captains at the coin toss for this year's Gator Bowl?

your post are insightful...but that sig of yours is really annoying!!!

rant.gif

smile.gif

I think Shalala and Miami yield enough power to call the shots going forward in the BE. There are lots of folks who work together that don't like each other, Shalala's at an advantage she's in Miami and Trangeshee is in NY.

Miami is the powerbroker here not him.

Yes, you have two good points on that side of the issue. However, the first point is a bitter pill to swallow either way.

Would you rather deal with Transghese or the three stoogies of the ACC?

wink.gif

The 3 stooges won't be around forever.

Average to Bad football up in the Northeast part of the country will!

Take the $$$ and join.

Some Observations:

If Miami has to have 5 year income guarantees, then let the BE have them. Same would go for my faves, ND and Penn State.

Miami has been down more years than they've been up in football.

2Big's avatar is great. By the way, is he throwing his guitar down on the stage, or pulling it back over his shoulder at the end of the loop?

Wasp reveals part of his problem: he can't tell politics from football. See Off Topic.

Belly is right. We don't need to give any guarantees. If they want to come for what will accrue naturally from associating with the ACC, then come on. Otherwise, they can stay put.

MsTech, I agree. The ACC has not had its ducks in a row. When that very lst vote occurred, it should have been written in stone. That is what encouraged Swofford to embark upon this ill-fated mission! The BE has had us in a defensive position PR-wise the whole time.

First, anyone who worked on Clinton's staff can't be counted on to deal with things logically.

Her continued infatuation with the need for the northeast is overblown. She acts like Miami and the northeast are 10 miles apart.

Surely there are some state govt. bigwhigs, even Democrats, who realize the value of having Miami in the same league with FSU, sort of like VA/VA Tech argument.

Since VT has already accepted, that serously weakens the Big EAst on the field. VTech is the only school that has come close to creating anything close to a chance of beating UM on the field.

I doubt the BE is weakened half as much with VT leaving as with Miami. VT was trying to follow Miami into the ACC with (private meetings in May) with the ACC - they know where the bread is buttered. Miami's presence is Div. 1 football goes back to the Schelenberger days and only disipated for a few short seasons.

This is a team in a market that is worth fighting for. Where Miami goes so go those that know to follow and make no mistake VT knew that in May and know it now ... it's in their best interests, just like the rest of us.

If the ACC is going to expand, expand with those that you need to broker tv contracts, revenues and success. VT is a come along team not the main player for $$$$.

If the BE is smart enough to file that lawsuit and change the course of this mess, they are smart enough to make other things happen!

Somebody in that conference knows what they're doing! They look a lot more together then the ACC at this point.
shocked.gif

Ignorance has no bounds. A former politician making athletic decisions? See: Shalala as pres of UM - same topic. Once disasterous for our govt., now a disaster for a university and a conference.

Back