Keep Johnson

What about this game has made TO look more "ready" then his play at South Florida. Marshall was ridden way to long this year IMO.

He actually made some pitches last night, not many; but more than I remember him making earlier in the season. One of those pitches was nearly an unforced turnover btw; but aside from that one poorly executed pitch, to me he looks smoother running some of our option plays. Also, it looks to me like he has more plays he can run than in those early games; but we still look limited on play selection with him.

He actually made some pitches last night, not many; but more than I remember him making earlier in the season. One of those pitches was nearly an unforced turnover btw; but aside from that one poorly executed pitch, to me he looks smoother running some of our option plays. Also, it looks to me like he has more plays he can run than in those early games; but we still look limited on play selection with him.

You remember a few pitches, yet he kept it 40 times. Nothing was different last night then what we saw from TO in South Florida. He largely kept the ball and we methodically moved the ball and scored just about possession. Should have been playing much more way earlier in the year.

I've said it in another thread, but TO showed he is not completely useless as a passer when he was in against Duke. He found the open guys quickly and got the ball to them decently. Everyone's acting like TO literally slipping on the field has something do to with his ability to pass.
No I'm not. I'm acting like a guy who has completed 4 out of 10 attempted passes in his career for a total of 62 yards has not yet proven he has the ability to pass.

For a little more insight into what happened, read the Roanoke Times (LOVE the last paragraph... and notice what happened to Duke in Durham 7 days after playing us). I think our o-line may have found its groove with our new right guard and the return of Cooper at center. Also didn't hurt that VPI couldn't seem to get out of their own way the last three quarters of the game. Nevertheless, great game by the Jackets. Now let's see us build on it in Chapel Hill next Sat.
https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/how-...cle_5146d97e-d906-11e8-9a3a-17c04dc9f944.html

You remember a few pitches, yet he kept it 40 times. Nothing was different last night then what we saw from TO in South Florida. He largely kept the ball and we methodically moved the ball and scored just about possession. Should have been playing much more way earlier in the year.

I can see where Oliver has improved during the season, you can't. I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Last edited:
For a little more insight into what happened, read the Roanoke Times (LOVE the last paragraph... and notice what happened to Duke in Durham 7 days after playing us). I think our o-line may have found its groove with our new right guard and the return of Cooper at center. Also didn't hurt that VPI couldn't seem to get out of their own way the last three quarters of the game. Nevertheless, great game by the Jackets. Now let's see us build on it in Chapel Hill next Sat.
https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/how-...cle_5146d97e-d906-11e8-9a3a-17c04dc9f944.html

“Quarterback sweep, man,” Virginia Tech defensive lineman Ricky Walker said. “They just overload and it seemed like they had more blockers than we had people. Just a new wrinkle every year against these guys that we couldn’t adjust to.”

Someone needs to let Ricky Walker know that CPJ is old and stubborn and never changes his precious offense.

Foster worried throughout the week about all the time Georgia Tech had to make changes to its offense. He credited the Yellow Jackets for doing a "dynamic job" blocking up a play they hadn’t run this season.

Bud Foster can stop worrying too, CPJ is either too ignorant or too stubborn to make changes.

I like this:
“I’m going to graduate and not beat these guys; this is probably the most physical game of the year,” Walker said. “It’s 2018 and they still run this offense, it just shows their mindset.”
I'd rather run any offense that wins over any offense that doesn't. But it befuddles me that some people don't like this offense.

This offense is mystifying, infuriating, and almost supernatural. But it perfectly matches the history and tradition of GT. We're going to stink up more than our share of games. That predates Johnson. Hell, even in 1990 we let a pathetic UNC team with around 100 yds in total offense put a blemish on the best record in my lifetime. Were lucky to beat a middling VT that year 6-3 in BDS when we had a Friedgen offense. The ACCCG against Wake, too damn many times we've let an inferior uga team bet us in BDS. But, but, but how many opponents' dreams have died across from us. Ask Clemson fans how many times their good teams were undefeated before playing GT. NC State's best team ever on the road. UVA's best team ever on the road. Undefeated South Carolina in '88 when we went 3-8. The three game streak against #1 ND, #1 uga, and #2 Bama over the 80-81 seasons may be the most inexplicable thing I've ever seen in college football. FSU in '15. Even Bill Lewis would have pulled off the upset against FSU's first MNC team if we had held onto that damn onside kick.

My point is what we've witnessed the last three games is our destiny. And this offense fits it perfectly. How it can devour a defense is unparalleled. Johnson and this offense have given me a lot of pleasure. Miami gutted in '08. Beating Clemson in the ACCCG. Remember when we scored on the first play of the game 4 or 5 straight games? Two Orange Bowls. Two miracles against FSU, three wins in athens, offensive records galore. Most of the time, I can hardly wait to get to the stadium just to see what craziness is going to happen. In three weeks, we will be saying one of two things - "how the hell did we lose to Duke" or "how the hell did we beat VT". That is GT football.

The three game streak against #1 ND, #1 uga, and #2 Bama over the 80-81 seasons may be the most inexplicable thing I've ever seen in college football.
I'm a sentimentalist of the first order, and like nothing more than a rant of misty-eyed joy... but I'm not quite following your history. I think your point is that we were terrible in 1980 & 1981, with a combined record of 2-19-1 – yet somehow managed to rise up against great teams.

We did tie #1 ND in 1980 (I was there, it was beautiful); we did also beat #1 Alabama in 1981 (in Birmingham, I wasn't there).

However, I'm not sure what you're referring to about #1 UGA. In addition to tying ND and beating Bama, we also played three other top two teams in those two years – #2 Bama in 1980 (we lost 3-26), #1 UGA in 1980 (we lost 20-38), and #2 UGA in 1981 (we lost 7-44). We also played #4 Bama and #1 UGA in 1982 (we lost 7-45 and 18-38, respectively). I don't think you could say that any of those losses was inexplicable given that we were historically horrible during those years.

Interesting note... in the eight years between 1976 and 1983, we played 13 top 5 teams and several other top 25 teams. We also had our share of patsies, but playing Bama and Auburn and UGA and ND and Pitt in those days was a murderers row.

Foster says we hadn't run that play (QB sweep) but that's the play Oliver ran about 15 times against USF when he scored 2 TDs.

Things are wonderful when everything is clicking, but things don’t work more often than they do. It’s a tough spot because CNW’s defense is an improvement over Roof so far. Total rankings aren’t much different but the aggressive play is leading to more sacks, turnovers, and red zone FGs vs TDs.

But there are also issues that have plagued CPJ for a decade now. Up and down special teams and offense, and a complete lack of a passing game against our better competition. We are still 2 games shy of .500 this year and the results have been really inconsistent over his tenure. Fans were okay with the 10-13 stretch because the seasons were .500+ and bookended with solid seasons. We will see how things go this year.

I'm a sentimentalist of the first order, and like nothing more than a rant of misty-eyed joy... but I'm not quite following your history. I think your point is that we were terrible in 1980 & 1981, with a combined record of 2-19-1 – yet somehow managed to rise up against great teams.

We did tie #1 ND in 1980 (I was there, it was beautiful); we did also beat #1 Alabama in 1981 (in Birmingham, I wasn't there).

However, I'm not sure what you're referring to about #1 UGA. In addition to tying ND and beating Bama, we also played three other top two teams in those two years – #2 Bama in 1980 (we lost 3-26), #1 UGA in 1980 (we lost 20-38), and #2 UGA in 1981 (we lost 7-44). We also played #4 Bama and #1 UGA in 1982 (we lost 7-45 and 18-38, respectively). I don't think you could say that any of those losses was inexplicable given that we were historically horrible during those years.

Interesting note... in the eight years between 1976 and 1983, we played 13 top 5 teams and several other top 25 teams. We also had our share of patsies, but playing Bama and Auburn and UGA and ND and Pitt in those days was a murderers row.

"I'm a sentimentalist of the first order, and like nothing more than a rant of misty-eyed joy... but I'm not quite following your history. I think your point is that we were terrible in 1980 & 1981, with a combined record of 2-19-1 – yet somehow managed to rise up against great teams. "

That's my point. We played #1 ND, #1 uga, at the end of 1980, and opened the season with #1-4 (depending on poll) Bama. We went 1-1-1 in those three games. The rest of the 1980/81 schedule, we went 1-18. We went 0-6 against powerhouses Memphis St, Tulane, and Navy. We hit rock bottom, but somehow held our own against #1 ranked teams. You know of anybody else that played three #1 teams in a 4 game stretch and split with them? IIRC, Curry said that when he arrived at Tech, he asked each player why they came to Tech to play football. Almost all said it was because Tech was the only school to offer. That's how low we were.

"I'm a sentimentalist of the first order, and like nothing more than a rant of misty-eyed joy... but I'm not quite following your history. I think your point is that we were terrible in 1980 & 1981, with a combined record of 2-19-1 – yet somehow managed to rise up against great teams. "

That's my point. We played #1 ND, #1 uga, at the end of 1980, and opened the season with #1-4 (depending on poll) Bama. We went 1-1-1 in those three games. The rest of the 1980/81 schedule, we went 1-18. We went 0-6 against powerhouses Memphis St, Tulane, and Navy. We hit rock bottom, but somehow held our own against #1 ranked teams. You know of anybody else that played three #1 teams in a 4 game stretch and split with them? IIRC, Curry said that when he arrived at Tech, he asked each player why they came to Tech to play football. Almost all said it was because Tech was the only school to offer. That's how low we were.
I’m with you.
PS. We did beat Memphis in 1980.

I don't believe it was stubbornness or incompetence. I think TQM can execute more of the playbook than Oliver, and earlier in the season Oliver just wasn't ready. I also think that going forward TQM may be more effective against some defenses and that Oliver will be more effective against others. The two guys obviously play different; but I don't think either has locked up the QB position for the rest of this season or next season.

Marshall would have started if not injured. This wasn’t about Oliver finally being ready. This was dumb luck.

Well...if you're against Johnson you can still make some arguments. I've always been with CPJ, but i can see the chronic issues.

It's rare that we physically overmatch another team, but it seemed that way with our OL tonight. They were incredible. Tobias runs through arm tackles that brought down TQM and JT both.

However, the Tobias O is very simple. Doesn't mean it's easy to stop, but how many people can carry 30+ times a game and stay healthy? The Miami game will be a much better test. We are going to face more third and 6+ in that game, I would think. We have to have some threat of throwing the football.

I don't see how you can go back to TQM as starter though. Props to TQM for being supportive and fired up out there.

Nice post.....good stuff.

Back