Key To Victory Over North Carolina

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
The number one key will be the defense playing tight on the short passes over the middle (includes the tight end) and dump passes to the backs.

I would be willing to bet NC opens the game using this strategy. They are dumb if they do not come out throwing the short pass. These completions have cost us every game we have lost.

The second key will be for Reggie to avoid fumbles and interceptions.

Father Time

Also, McGill of UNC ran for 247 against Wake Forest. I think they will try to run the way Duke was able to with Douglas. I hope Gailey was doing his Lou Holtz impression when he talked about "keeping it close" against UNC. If we can't put points on the board against this defense, we are in deep trouble. The only team that hasn't put at least 30 on them is East Carolina.

Absolutely.

Tenuta's defenses have been so much better and shown so much more promise. That's been a highlight of the new regime. But you would think JT could come up with a viable defense for the dink and dunk offense. BYU did it, too, and it just killed us.

Reggie Ball's a fighter. He's taking his licks but as long as he keeps getting back out there and striving to be his best he'll keep learning and improving.

3518Techie, Duke also ran against us, but they opened the game passing to get us out of the run defense. After they opened us up with the pass, they were able to run.

A defensive team has to always concentrate on taking an offense out of its game plan. You must out guess your opponent. You must continually adapt your defense and change it on every play, if necessary.

In the two years Tenuta has been a Tech, I have not seem him being able to adapt. If his original game plan fails, his defense falls apart at the seams.

If North Carolina is smart, they will not open up with the run, because they will get stuffed. If they open up with the short passes and make us vulnerable, then they will run.

If Tenuta does not play the defense to stop the short passing game, North Carolina will kill us.

Father Time

Actually I disagree ahso. Duke threw a few passes early but only after we forced them into passing situations. We never ran our pass defense schemes (see article on Reis). We were in a base run defense all game and they beat us anyway. I agree that we need to run our dollar defense alot against UNC. But their offensive scheme doesn't even resemble what Duke was doing.

NCJacket, on the first series of the game, Duke threw passes of 24, 15, and 16 yards to help them score starting at their own 38.

So, of the 62 yards to score, 55 yards were gained in passing.

Father Time

Ahso, I agree with you about Tenuta and the lack of adjustments. BYU, Duke, and Clemson did the same things in the second half that they did in the first half with a response from us. Tenuta has done a fine job overall but that has been one area of frustration.

Ahso,
I have noticed the same thing about adjusting and have wondered why we don't see that happen. Evidently JT is seeing something either happening or not happening that he feels he can correct w/out making adjustments to his game plan. Other than that; I DUNNO
In his behalf I will state that I have seen improvements in our defensive team's tackling ability, as compared to before his coming to GT. I was seeing a great deal of mis-tackles & not locking up on a tackle before he came here. Since Ted Roof had been such an outstanding defensive player here, and GOL's defensive prowess, I could never understand why we couldn't seem to correct this.

Romegajacket, agree, the tackling has been much more pronounced this year. I am wondering if it was the weight training during the off season.

I understand the weight training program was a huge success during the off season, which brings up another question, "were the offensive linemen in the weight training program also?".

Father Time

I think this game will be similar to the NC State. In order to win the offense will have to score 20-30 points. Although UNC is a bad team, they have a pretty good offense which can cause problems if they do not turn the ball over which has been a big problem for them.

We also need our kick off coverage to be much better. The punting game was much better against Duke and needs to stay at this level or improve.

The defense has to do a better job of stopping the run up the middle and get more pressure on the QB in passing situations. Tenuta should be extra jacked for this game with a chance to maybe get Bunting canned.

Back