Kind of hard to actually "fail out" in 1 term

TIARB

Varsity Lurker
Unless things have changed since I was at Tech (before semesters), it is actually difficult to "fail out" completely in 1 term.

The normal process was that a student was in "good" standing. If his GPA for the term or overall went below a certain number, they would then be in "warning" for the next term. Then if the cumulative or term gpa did not get above a certain number, they would be on "drop" status - essentially gone.

If that process is still the same, and it is true that these SA's in question are "gone" (i.e. "drop"), then it could not come as a complete surprise to the staff, as you have in essence a term's worth of notice of trouble ("warning" status).

Also, for the rumored freshman, that would in essence mean that they went straight to "warning" after 1 term, and then to "drop" the second, as they have only been here 2 terms. That would be failing out as quickly as you can. For SA's, with the level of tutoring etc, in a non-engineering major, that this would happen to 3 kids would be termed as "jaw dropping".

All of this just doesn't make sense. I wonder if some are on "warning" status (and hence cannot play this fall unless they got off of "warning") and some are on "drop", or if all are ""gone gone" as has been rumored?

According to the people I talked to, Tony Hollings was on probation before the spring semester and is now gone.

Not sure about any of the others though.

Remember when Burns broke his leg/ankle in the middle of the season against F$U in '99, and O'leary had him withdraw from school while he rehab'ed?

Sounds like this should have been the path in this instance as well. Would have saved the "warning" for this term, then TH could have played out his senior year, and gone to the combines.

Another lesson about being at Tech for our staff.

Back