Latest expansion rumor floating as of 12:50 pm

GTechsta

Varsity Lurker
UConn has been extended an offer. This is bizarre. I would imagine to make it an even 14.

I believe they are a comer also. They can play basketball pretty well, too.

Originally posted by GTechsta:
UConn has been extended an offer. This is bizarre. I would imagine to make it an even 14.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Is there any links yet?

790 is saying that it is coming from ESPN but I haven't seen anything in writing yet

Hmmmm.....Lets see. Since we have now invited 5 teams (UConn rumor) Does this mean we can boot both Puke and UNiCe? That would be great. Both of them could join the Big Least Basketball only conference.
All joking aside what in the HECK is going on around the ACC?
I am not fond of the idea of 14 teams. Esp not UConn.

Price Memorial Gold

If anyone sees the link , please post it. It has not yet been posted anywhere I have looked(ESPN, NYPost, etc.)

Id rather have Louisville than UCONN. They are better at football, basketball, and womens volleyball. UCONN would be good for mens soccer though.

I saw it at the end of SportsCenter last night, about 10:50 or 10:55 last night. It's legit that ESPN is reporting it.

UConn adds more in all sports than any of the other schools, besides Miami, whose baseball and football program makes up for it all. With UConn, we actually WILL have the NYC market, as opposed to Syracuse, which was a myth. With UConn + Syracuse, we regain our title as the top conference in men's basketball, we are now the top conference in women's basketball (with Duke and others), and our olympic sports will be much better as well - solid programs in soccer and lacrosse IIRC.

More importantly though, UConn will deliver the NYC market that we need. Especially when that football program gets all four wheels moving.

FWIW, I think ESPN has been reporting that it will happen, not that is has. I don't think they can offer until they visit. Now that doesn't preclude someone asking them if they would accept one, but it gets pretty convaluted.

The story I heard was that
1) VT has to agree to withdraw from the lawsuit
2) the ACC has to vote to expand
3) they then have to vote on who to offer (maybe than can make a conditional offer - to be finalized after the visit)

You can access the boneyard{the Ucon Board} and they are chattering about the prospects of them joining, but no one seem to know anything. I also accessed ESPN and there was nothing posted about the Ucon mess. I hope this is what it seems to be and that is more BS {BOVINE SCATOLOGY}.

Yuck! I kinda wish they'd invite teams geographically closer. It takes away from the rivalries and its so much harder to travel. Any way, its better than NO expansion in my opinion.
rolleyes.gif

Argh. There are a lot of better choices than UConn. They just moved up from Div 1 AA couple of years ago.

Conniticutt! Please I'd rather we child rear Georgia Southern than Conniticutt into being an ACC member. Georgia Southern would smoke them if they played. Plus Duke and Tech what with the way we played last year.Total Joke. SEC is probably busting at the seams laughing. ACC presidential idiots should have invited Va. Tech in the first place instead of Syracuse. Hell, I said as much 3-4 weeks ago and some others on this board did also. Clough is an idiot. Seems to be the head idiot among ACC presidents. Clough needs to be addressing OUR problems instead of conspiring to screw up everything and everyone involved in this mess. Dump Clough, Dump Braine, and have a new administration and Florida State try to work our way back to the SEC. If they can stop laughing at us long enough.

statelinejacket you are 100% correct. If this u"con" thing is true it goes from laughable to ridiculous. This whole thing started coz of the BCS contract in 05. What will UC add to that equation except lower the strength of schedule. My God, we were once, and not long ago, a proud Southern school and athletic program. What is worse are so many GT fans willing to go the path of least resistance regarding competition on the field. Why don't we just play Harvard, furman, tulane, elon and whoever else we think we can automatically beat without putting forth the effort to win. They are killing our program as much as clough & braine. KILLING IT!!!!

Back