Latest from AJC

GTPilot

Flats Noob
Here is the latest article from the AJC.

Latest AJC News

I just wish they would think through what they are saying before they get on the phone with the media.

"You can point fingers at me, Chan Gailey, and the academic office. All of us are responsible," Braine said.

"Don't point the finger at Chan Gailey because that's not fair," said Braine.

So can we or can't we point the finger at Chan Gailey.

Originally posted by GTPilot:
Here is the latest article from the AJC.

Latest AJC News

I just wish they would think through what they are saying before they get on the phone with the media.

"You can point fingers at me, Chan Gailey, and the academic office. All of us are responsible," Braine said.

"Don't point the finger at Chan Gailey because that's not fair," said Braine.

So can we or can't we point the finger at Chan Gailey.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTPilot,

This is called participative management, also known as the old duck & cover.

"There is no way to fix it at Tech," said Dr. Moore. "Tech is what Tech is which is a very demanding institution. I do not have majors to hide them in. I do not have easy courses. When a student does not do the work (at Georgia Tech) there is no magic wand to be pulled out."

If this doesn't suit, go pull for Mississippi State.

Well belly, it damned well doesn't suit and pulling for somebody else just may be necessary if we don't face the realities of 21st century D-1 football. Things ARE different now vs. Ross or even GOL. The HILL is snobbing up and Dr. Moore will explain it to you if you ask. Just check the SAT/ACT scores of this past class vs. the '96-'00 classes. We are not currently recruiting from the pool of athletes that are and have been winning at other programs. It's not a coincidence that almost all of the talented young men we just lost were either starters or on the 2 deep vs. the other 75 players. Think about it. THWG

Contacted Friday, O'Leary conceded that when it came to academics "I was very hands on to the point where I probably annoyed a bunch of people there. I knew when the tests were going to take place. I had people checking classes and study halls to make sure kids were there. I probably spent 50 to 60 percent of my time on academics. But that's how you have to do it because it is such a different situation academically."
somebody forgot to tell Gailey this
mad.gif

I think there is a way to fix it. Prevent it from happening. It is there job to make sure they are doing the work and guide them through the process. If it were just one or two players then I might understand the "you can't help everyone" excuse. However, when 10 players fail out at once from the same team that tells me that they weren't being watched.

I would probably say that a lot of these kids need somebody looking over them to make sure that they are progressing along. Not every young adult has the discipline to do these things without the proper push and guidance from those in charge. It takes different approaches to handle each individual and it doesn't appear that the proper approach was taken with these gentlemen.

In the end these players let themselves, their team, and their fans down by not getting the work done. However, I still can't shake the feeling that those in charge at the AA have that "I feel bad because I got caught" attitude rather than a true grip on what is going down (at least on the football side of things).

Moore is a defeatist & loser. She has NO business being involved with our S/A's with her attitude. The resources were there. She did not use them. There are players in this state and in the United States who can do this and win. We need leadership that is not there at this moment.

I do understand the comments about taking the coaching staff out of the loop due to the thinking that it might put pressure on profs to change grades etc. But that doesn't excuse the academic support structure of the AA from taking steps to make sure kids are going to class and getting the help they need. I'd go so far as to say that if a players isn't attending class we should kick him/her out before grades are even an issue. But to do that somebody has to be monitoring what's going on. Sounds like we have some serious clean up (or cleaning out) to do. Whether Chan was supposed to be involved or not is something I'm still not sure about. Braine clearly changed the structure and process after O'Leary left.

Hearing quotes from these snobby academic types reminds me of what Al McGuire used to say.. He'd go into a meeting with a bunch of the university department heads & muckety mucks & he'd say that he figured the meeting would last 1 hour for every pipe smoker that was in the room...

(Is there anything in life more irritating than an academia type that strokes his/her beard, while puffing on his/her pipe while sitting at a meeting, thoroughly enjoying the sound of his/her own voice, dragging the meeting on for ever while everyone else wants to beat the rush hour traffic...? )

I appreciate and agree with Moore's commnets that you can't fix it at Tech. That's as it should be. But if she thinks her dept did it's job when we just lost 11 athletes then she needs to go. There is no way I can accept that many kids can't or didn't want to do their work. If we can't even make sure they go to class, know who needs help and give it to them then we can't be successful in athletics. And if we can't be successful then we don't need her anyway.

Now she may not be the only one that needs to go, but based on the comments she made she clearly doesn't understand the point of what she's supposed to be doing.

BeeBad, Pilot and Z I agree. BeeBad you are right on my man. For Moore to come out and say something like that gives me flashbacks to some wrinkled old holier than thou principal or teacher giving a lecture when you someone sneezed without raising their hand.

These losers can't get a real job because no one would put up with the snotty attitudes so they hide in education and government, and wait to pounce out whenever they get a little beauracratic power.

No doubt she is at Starbucks with Jan Kemp right now getting a primer on how to get her picture in Sports Illustrated.

True, their is enough blame to go around - even for me. I am being tormented by my past - I laughed for years at Munson crying on the radio about the "Kemp Thing", I taunted Georgia with my t-shirts - "Three Strikes Your Out". I ribbed the Steinbrenner like firing of Donnan.

It's the ghost of Christmas past for the WASP, I was there in Athens last year at 51-7. I was there when we humiliatingly fell on the ball to win against Duke. Now we have Flunk-Gate. We have a stealth coach who is harder to find than Osama Bin Laden.

Well, my comrades, this too shall pass. The question is when.

Great post, Father.. well said as usual..

And yes, this will pass.. Question is will it feel like gas or a kidney stone?

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Hearing quotes from these snobby academic types reminds me of what Al McGuire used to say.. He'd go into a meeting with a bunch of the university department heads & muckety mucks & he'd say that he figured the meeting would last 1 hour for every pipe smoker that was in the room...

(Is there anything in life more irritating than an academia type that strokes his/her beard, while puffing on his/her pipe while sitting at a meeting, thoroughly enjoying the sound of his/her own voice, dragging the meeting on for ever while everyone else wants to beat the rush hour traffic...? )
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">__________________________________

LOL BeeBad !!!!!

I agree 100%, and don't forget the perfunctory 15-20 minute wait for such beard-stroking, pipe smoking professor types...

I hate to generalize, but in my experience, I;ve never met a bigger bunch of misfit losers in my life !!!

Poor Gailey. I can just see the guy getting called to the principal's - excuse me - Prez's office, the clock ticking on the wall, sweaty palms. A pair of cuordoroys and chukka boots swings around and you've got a beard starting off by saying "Mr. Gaily, there are few things you must learn about this institution...."

Danny Ford lost his job, guess he got fired up on country music and reading of General Patton when he stated how the real world worked, but he did tell them to "take this job and shove it.."

Anyway, Gen. Woods, do we have anyone who will put Moore in her place or do we have years of Nurse Ratchett ahead?

Coach O'Leary's formula for this institution worked with regards to academics. So many said that Friedgen is why we were successful, obviously Coach O'Leary did the things by having the "hands-on" approach 50-60% of the time that made sure those offensive players could do the work, made the grade and ultimately kept their playing status. His strictness/overseeing was a major factor in all our sucesses with him at the helm.

He knew what it took to make SURE outside of the x's and o's the bases were covered and his players were successful - you can't ask any more of a coach in this arena. His formula worked for those SAs, so why would you change it? And, when you did change it ... why wouldn't anyone- Coach, AD, AA staff monitor it to see if it's working?????

How many times have I read over the years the demands made of any student who attends GT. This has been on GT's front burner forever. I don't think you can be any coach at this institution and not be connected to the academic well being of our SAs - you have to connect to them every which way - the demand is too great!

shocked.gif

There's another thing very prevalent in the AJC article - the quote from an un-named big time contributer saying after the season we had they/he/she were up in arms and someone had to be accountable - this was before all of this academic fiasco.

Their comments came from what they saw on the field. Those people who are putting big $$$ into the institution were already making waves about the football team's performance to those internally - now this!

Everyone says give him a chance - it looks like the contributors with big $$$ were/are not going to be as tolerant. Interesting, that's what a lot of us here said who don't give that kind of money! Someone posted yesterday the importance of alumni who contributed greatly to the school, I would guess they are going to be a big factor going down this road - more then ever before.

Father Wasp...as I have my afternoon cold malt beverage I ponder what was said in the paper and realize Ray Charles can see we have some people who have no business guiding our student athletes. The programs in place are just window dressing. What the place is lacking is passion for what GA. Tech is about and what she has meant to a great many people. Can you imagine her atttitude towards a kid from rural south georgia with her proper King's English (she has a doctorate in Medieval History and teaches in England during her summers)?

drinking.gif

She is the person Lewis Grizzard warned us about - one that waits out football season overseas.

We have to endure bombardement on the front lines.

England had their Chamberlain before Winston saved the day - we had our Clinton before Bush started kicking ass and cleaning things up.

From Claugh to Moore to Gailey - time to run them out and bring in glory to the afternoons again on Grant Field and Bobby Dodd Stadium!

FW....that sounds like a plan. we need to organize the troops. Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Father WASP! Your mask is slipping! A positive reference to L_____ G_______, the lowest of low-lifes in the GT vs. Ugag universe?

I knew all along you were a dawg!

Back