Let's Get Into Some ACC Discussion

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
Let\'s Get Into Some ACC Discussion

I can't imagine if this expansion doesn't occur - and I would be very unhappy, that the ACC wouldn't suffer. The BE will suffer with or without BC, Miami and Syracuse. Especially after the way the remaining five have handled the situation with a lawsuit and Commissioner Tranghese who is not liked much by those leaving. There's no way these 3 schools are staying after all of this and with the animosity that has already taken place before any move - I know BC is out.

Looks like Clemson and FSU would probably look to leave the ACC if it doesn't happen. Where does GT go from here? I know I would have huge reservations about staying here with those schools who derailed the process in the ACC. There's a lot at stake here for GT and it's future in this or any conference.

I still have faith in Commissioner Swofford but what really makes me mad is after UVA already voted to visit the campuses as part of the first step in the invitation process and in essence saying - we're for it, that they would now go the other way or try to hinder something that is going to happen no matter what they do. If UVA, NC and Duke say no, this conference is going to change anyway.

Re: Let\'s Get Into Some ACC Discussion

Tech really has two options if expansion falls through: hitch ourselves to FSU or strike a deal on our own. To remain in the ACC would be suicide and relegate the program to second tier status in Div 1-A. There will be an Eastern conference of 12 teams. It is just a matter of which 12. Duke, UNC and UVA apparently want nothing to do with this so that takes them out of the mix. We will not be joining the SEC, they do not need us since they already have the Atlanta TV market and we bring little else to the table.

I can see a scenario where FSU and Miami join the SEC and Maryland, Clemson, State, Wake, Tech hook up with the seven remaining Big East schools to make a new conference.

I still think the ACC votes to expand. A no vote signals the end of the ACC. Surely the presidents know this.

Expansion as originally envisioned is dead. The lawyers have it now for litagation and will wring this situation out for maximum dollars in their own pocket.

This lawsuit doesn't have a leg to stand on - the only crimp this causes is delay and that's what it's doing. The only thing that would undermind this expansion is for (3) of the ACC schools to say no and even if that happens, after all of this, it won't stay the same.

Those presidents like "Wrecked" said have to know that and be aware of the fallout if they don't make it a go.

I don't see any way that the Big East could possibly stay together after what has happened. At least for Miami and BC, it could never be the same. If expansion is blocked by the, what did someone call it :-), "NC mafia" then the football schools will know exactly where they stand in this conference. The ACC needs Tech, Clemson, and FSU much more than these schools need the ACC as it currently stands. I still hope for expansion though - I like some of the rivalries that Tech has built within this conference. But wherever Tech goes, we should all go. Can't wait for kickoff in Provo!
drinking.gif

Sigh!!!!

I have to agree with Wrecked and MsTechAnalysis.

The presidents would have to know FSU, Clemson, and Tech will leave.

Of course the ACC could then pick up East Carolina, Western Carolina, and another small Carolina team.

They could play an intra-State rivalry. There could be a possibility of a TV station in North Carolina who would air their games within the State of North Carolina. Of course, no one outside the State would care.

drinking.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
The presidents would have to know FSU, Clemson, and Tech will leave.

Of course the ACC could then pick up East Carolina, Western Carolina, and another small Carolina team.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The Atlantic Carolina Conference!

---

It seems to me that Virginia is the swing vote. What do y'all think is the probability of expanding with the concession to UVA about adding Virginia Tech instead of BC/Syr?

(This is the plan I'd like to see the most.)

I say if a new conference is formed, exclude North Carolin, Duke, and Virginia for their stand against expanding.

wink.gif

UVa is caving due to the pressure from instate interests for leaving VT out. Here's the new conference that should form assuming the Carolina mafia prevail. This has to happen in next couple of weeks.

BC
Syr
Mia
VT
UVa
GT
FSU
Clem

Thats critical mass for a super east coast conference. Ideally, the new conference would add 4 more to reach the status of 2 divisions and a playoff game. So lets add:

UMd
WVU
Pitt
UCF

Would that be a kickass conference or what!! Divisions could be

1 Mia/Syr/VT/WVU/Pitt/BC

2 GT/FSU/UMd/Clem/UVa/UCF

That would preserve the "best of the Big East" rivals in one division and the "best of the ACC" in another with UCF thrown in as the up and comer. Keeps FSU and Mia in separate conferences. Wadda ya think?

i believe the expansion will take place. if it doesnt it could signal the end of the acc as far as football is concerned.

rw1, I could live with that. Don't know about the finances though, fairly light on the basketball front. What I wish would happen (maybe it already has and we don't know abou it? - I know wishful thinking) would be for Miami, FSU, Tech and Clemson to make a pact to go SOMEWHERE together. If the SEC wants us, fine. If not, we start putting together our own league. It would be real interesting to see who called if that process got started.

FORGET about GT to SEC. It will not happen! SEC wants Miami lst, FSU 2nd. Man, what a conference that would be. GT is going to be left out in the cold. Mark my words. We just have to hope that this current road map happens.

I have the feeling that due to the constant postponements(sp) the ACC expansion just ain't gona happen. The carolina mafia strikes again! So where does that leave us? To quote some else "out in the cold". Braine better start earning his salary and get something going to save Tech sports.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
rw1, I could live with that. Don't know about the finances though, fairly light on the basketball front. What I wish would happen (maybe it already has and we don't know abou it? - I know wishful thinking) would be for Miami, FSU, Tech and Clemson to make a pact to go SOMEWHERE together. If the SEC wants us, fine. If not, we start putting together our own league. It would be real interesting to see who called if that process got started.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCJ: Miami, Tech, Clemson and FSU would definitely have some clout - good scenario for down the road if this falls apart. I'm hoping and believing it won't but whatever the case - GT can't let this fall by the way side and someone here needs to stay active in making something good happen.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I say if a new conference is formed, exclude North Carolin, Duke, and Virginia for their stand against expanding.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree - I can't imagine the others schools being happy staying here with this group! They have to know this and would hope that it is part of the reason why they vote yes! Maybe this lawsuit turned a light bulb on during this delay so that they have regrouped and now understand - voting no will not mean everything stays status quo!

I kind of give UVA a pass on this one. If their president votes yes in the face of pressure from the Gov, AG, and legislature he's got more guts than any university president I've seen around. I think UVA wants this to happen, Casteen just can't figure out a way to vote for it and survive.

Duke and UNC though are a different story. Duke at least has the excuse of knowing this dooms their football program. Otherwise it's a classic case of 2 schools looking out for their own interests only with no regard for the conference as a whole. The reason I have no respect for them is they are trying to mask it with academic concerns when it's nothing more than knowing they will lose their ability to dictate the the rest of the league and wanting to be in as easy a division as they can.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
I kind of give UVA a pass on this one. If their president votes yes in the face of pressure from the Gov, AG, and legislature he's got more guts than any university president I've seen around. I think UVA wants this to happen, Casteen just can't figure out a way to vote for it and survive.

Duke and UNC though are a different story. Duke at least has the excuse of knowing this dooms their football program. Otherwise it's a classic case of 2 schools looking out for their own interests only with no regard for the conference as a whole. The reason I have no respect for them is they are trying to mask it with academic concerns when it's nothing more than knowing they will lose their ability to dictate the rest of the league and wanting to be in as easy a division as they can.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ncjacket,

I agree with your comments but I can't fault them for looking out after their own interest. We did the same when we left the SEC and will do again based upon the outcome of the ACC expansion vote. From their perspective, the big mistake was letting FSU in. We were certainly no football power house when we entered but Free Shoes didn't make any pretense about fitting the Carolina model for an ACC team.

Now they (Duke and NC) are headed down a road where they will get their teeth knocked out on the football field on a regular basis by Miami and FSU and occasionally by us, Boston College, Clemson, North Carolina State, and Syracuse.

Instead of FSU, the ACC should have picked up Vandy. We all would have been better off from a competitive standpoint with a well balanced conference with shared academic and athletic values (but not money wise).

I suspect we will sweeten the pot a bit for both Duke and NC and they will finally agree.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

It will not doom puke U anymore than they already are. The acc does not need to pick up vandy, it needs to pick up competition and that means VT or UK, not more schools in the northeast. Common sense has gone out the window and we are lead by clough the gutless worm. If the acc does not expand, and we can not work a deal with UM, FSU, & perhaps CU we are in more than deep do-do. Sorry to be so negative, but Tech folks seem to want to win and beat ugag without embracing the fact we are in the hot blooded world of deep south football country. It is about competition and we are about to learn a painful lesson from which we may not be able to recover.

I think the expansion will still happen after this filibuster dies down. No real way the BE can keep Miami from leaving and I think they're as good as gone. The bball schools hold a trump but they'd be cutting their nose off to spite their face if they did. It's just filibustering (delaying) imho.

A cute note about the whole deal I heard on a syndicated sports show this A.M. says that the ACC is now making a move to try and persuade ND to join (HA!) and then add VT to make it a 14 team league. They then stated the obvious that ND wasn't about to give up their deal with NBC in order to play the ACC's weak Sisters (it would be a good bball fit though).

Back