Let's Get Into Some ACC Discussion

Re: Let\'s Get Into Some ACC Discussion

I don't have a problem adding Vandy, but the fact is if we had added them instead of FSU we would not be a BCS conference now.

ahsoisee, it's easy for us to say what UVA should do but I think it's a pretty simple issue there. The school wants expansion, but the Gov will have Pres Casteen removed if he votes for it. Wonder what Clough would do if Ga gov took the stand Va's has?

I really think Duke is angling for something and that's their holdup. UNC is a riddle. It may be as simple as Dean doesn't want it, or that the Chancellor is afraid of his faculty senate. But I don't believe for a minute it's his decision.

What about THIS scenario??

Say the expansion doesn't happen and (as proposed in the local paper today) FSU joins Miami in the Big East. Not too farfetched if you think about it. Miami LEAVING the BE was farfetched to most before this all started. If that happens, we'll be left out in the cold along with Clemson and the others that wanted expansion because (as was hypothesized) South Florida and Central Florida might join up and then they'd have FOUR Florida schools in the conference and three great sites (Tampa, Orlando, and Miami) for a conference championship. Plus the added in-state intrigue.

Makes for an interesting argument. I'm just wondering IF the expansion doesn't happen (and it appears that it won't) where the heck WE will be if FSU does NOT ally with us. We need the Criminoles...probably more than they need us.

frown.gif

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
What about THIS scenario??

Say the expansion doesn't happen and (as proposed in the local paper today) FSU joins Miami in the Big East. Not too farfetched if you think about it. Miami LEAVING the BE was farfetched to most before this all started. If that happens, we'll be left out in the cold along with Clemson and the others that wanted expansion because (as was hypothesized) South Florida and Central Florida might join up and then they'd have FOUR Florida schools in the conference and three great sites (Tampa, Orlando, and Miami) for a conference championship. Plus the added in-state intrigue.

Makes for an interesting argument. I'm just wondering IF the expansion doesn't happen (and it appears that it won't) where the heck WE will be if FSU does NOT ally with us. We need the Criminoles...probably more than they need us.

frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Donna Shalala the President of Miami said she would not stay there and has no affection for BE commission Mike Trangehese -

Originally posted by bizzybee:
FORGET about GT to SEC. It will not happen! SEC wants Miami lst, FSU 2nd. Man, what a conference that would be. GT is going to be left out in the cold. Mark my words. We just have to hope that this current road map happens.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't know if I would ever count out the SEC for Tech. I read the Bama boards quite frequently and there seems to be quite a few that would like to see a renewed rivalry with Tech and there is a lot of negativity towards Miami (distance, private school). Hell, their fight song even sez so:

University of Alabama "Yea Alabama"
-----------------------------------
Yea Alabama! Drown 'em Tide
Ev'ry bama man's behind you:
So hit that stride!
Go teach the bulldogs to behave,
Send those Yellow Jackets to a watery grave,
And if a man starts to weaken,
That's his shame!
For Bama's pluck and grit have
Writ her name in Crimson flame,
Fight on! Fight on! Fight on! Men!
Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then.
Go! Roll to victory! Hit your stride!
You're Dixie's football pride,
Crimson Tide!

The last 14 games before we split the SEC was 7-7
They have a 28-21-3 record against us.
UGAg would be the veto, I believe, not Bama or Auburn.

I think sometime we, as Tech fans, give our team too little credit. We have a great program and to think that the Alabama's and Auburn's wouldn't want to come to Atlanta every other year as opposed to Miami and FSU, I feel is ludicrous.

I guess I take a little different stance. I have absolutely no sympathy for Duke, North Carolina, nor Virginia.

This is an expansion to help the whole league. It benefits all because of the exposure and added markets. It makes the league better in competition, and it makes it stronger overall.

For three schools to force blackmail on the others to gain an advantage is intolerable.

I do not think the other school presidents should allow the three schools of North Carolina, Duke, and Virginia to have extra advantages in order to get their vote for expansion.

It will hurt the three schools and the ACC much more when GT, Clemson, FSU and possibly others leave the ACC for another conference. Swafford and the other presidents should be firm in their demand for expansion, call for the vote, and let the three schools suffer the consequences if expansion does not pass.

Virginia Tech should stand on their own. Virginia Tech's plight should have nothing to do with Virginia's vote for expansion. Virginia should ignore the political aspect and vote for expansion if it betters the conference, or vote against expansion if it does not better the conference.

It is deplorable that Virginia would kill expansion because one school was not added.

drinking.gif

Back