Let's say we were getting.........

A solid dose of 4 and 5 star recruits on the offensive side of the ball. Would we be any better? Would we be in a different offense? Would the results from games against the big boys be any different?

IMO, I'm just not sure in this offense we would be any better. Who knows maybe I am wrong.

You are wrong. That question doesn't make any sense. How can you not think we would be better if we had better players? Do you see how we do against lesser teams where we have better players than them?

I dont think comparing what we did against VT and what bama did is relevant. Alabama ran a very vanilla offense against VT as to not show the cards to A&M.

As I posted in the last thread started by mover 2 and with more detail in its own thread--and Andrew started a thread with the same point--our offense already did better against VPI than Bama who does get 4 and 5 star kids.

Would we be better if we had better players? How can you expect people to take that as a serious question?

Really! By your logic, Saban should consider changing his offense because it didn't do well against a really good D. Curse all you want, but that's just stupid.

What good does it do to compare stats like this? Rather win the game, as I am sure all here would.

You have studied the bama - VPI game. Did VPI have those receivers wide open time after time dragging over the middle vs bama? That first TD of theirs after our TO is scorched in my memory and it kept happening.

Man, I see this happening time after time against everyone we play the rest of the year after they see the film. Will believe we can stop it when I see it.

And we can no longer wait to get a pass rush going.

I dont think comparing what we did against VT and what bama did is relevant. Alabama ran a very vanilla offense against VT as to not show the cards to A&M.

I think you and I are the only ones on stingtalk that understand that.

I have a question for Georgia Southern fans. When Paul Johnson was coaching there, was the talent level at GSU much greater than their competition?

If you could match up 4/5 stars against good defenses, would the offense work? I remember the days of Oklahoma and Texas running the triple option and they were unstoppable. Has the game evolved beyond this type of offense being a success?

No, it hasn't evolved beyond talent that executes. Your OU and Texas references answer your OP.

What good does it do to compare stats like this? Rather win the game, as I am sure all here would.

You have studied the bama - VPI game. Did VPI have those receivers wide open time after time dragging over the middle vs bama? That first TD of theirs after our TO is scorched in my memory and it kept happening.

Man, I see this happening time after time against everyone we play the rest of the year after they see the film. Will believe we can stop it when I see it.

And we can no longer wait to get a pass rush going.

Two things. (1) The question was about the performance of this offense in general, not the game plan for that game, (a question based on the performance in that game); (2) While your question about VPI's offense and our defense is not the topic of discussion in this thread, your reference to their performance against Bama is a serious question. The answer is that they often were fairly open in that game. VPI's receivers dropped a lot of passes. Apparently, you won't believe we can stop it when you see it because we pretty much stopped it for most of the game. After their long-drive td we forced four straight punts with drives of 6, 3, 5, and 4 plays.

A solid dose of 4 and 5 star recruits on the offensive side of the ball. Would we be any better? Would we be in a different offense? Would the results from games against the big boys be any different?

Sure they would.

And come on, don't have selective memory, we've won some against the Big Boys with this offense as well, just like we did under Gailey's offense. The difference being Gailey's big-boy wins were won with Defense, and CPJ's were won with offense.

Hell, all it probably would have taken to beat VT is no false starts. False starts happen in any offense.

Last edited:
No question. Except for the dumb style cut blocking the ground it's a dynamic offense. Better oline and a Lil Joe or Shawn Jones and we're killing people.

I have a question for Georgia Southern fans. When Paul Johnson was coaching there, was the talent level at GSU much greater than their competition?

Not a GSU fan (not that I don't like them, I do) but my understanding from other threads is that they had upper-echelon talent. They weren't head and shoulders above everyone else, but they did have top level talent.

IMO, I'm just not sure in this offense we would be any better. Who knows maybe I am wrong.

Of course we would be better. We were better when we had better skill position players. When you've got guys that can break huge gains it makes you better.

I would settle for ONE five star recruit - Calvin Johnson. Although not all five stars are Calvin Johnson, he shows how much of an impact a truly special player could make.

But given out talent at skill positions, some true big uglies at GCG would also be transformational. Imagine if we could have single-teamed Hopkins and B-backs would get decent gains. Would have also changed everything.

But yeah, the most depressing thought Thursday night was "well, with the hill, this is what we should expect until we have a solid few years of recruiting." Is going from CCG to CPJ just meaning 7-5 to 8-4/9-3? That's what it seems like.

With Sewak coaching the O line, yes.

Credit to CPJ on changing DC's and even bringing
in a ST COACH , why will he not make a change on
OL coaching as that seems to be a glaring
problem area?

Don't want to hear best bud excuse, this seems
To be one of the most needed coaching
position changes or am I wrong about
That?

But given out talent at skill positions, some true big uglies at GCG would also be transformational. Imagine if we could have single-teamed Hopkins and B-backs would get decent gains. Would have also changed everything.

If we had VT's GCG and running backs would it be transformational? What if we had UNC's GCG and running backs? My point is not everyone is going to get Bama's or UGA's GCG and running back quality.

Back